Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
Cady Goldfield
United_States
Ki Symbol New Hampshire I Liq Chuan Workshop with Wai Tang, April 20-21, 2013

An I Liq Chuan seminar in New Hampshire taught by Wai Tang, disciple of Master Sam F.S. Chin, is in the works for April 20-21, 2013. Sessions will run from 10a.m. to 5p.m. each day, and the cost for the full two days is $150. The seminar location has not yet been confirmed, but it will be in the Manchester, NH area and the exact info will be posted here as soon as it's available.

The I Liq Chuan spinning hands training process is the tentative focus for this weekend workshop. The core of the I Liq Chuan system is in its spinning/sticky hand drills and exercises, which resemble Tai Chi push hands, but are somewhat different. Instead, students train by spinning their hands and forearms around each other while trying to focus their mind and senses, to feel their partner's energy and also be aware of their own body and its reactions. From there, various combat applications are employed.

The skills that this practice imparts are useful for martial artists of all kinds and backgrounds to enhance both their internal and their combative abilities, and are especially relevant to Aikido.

This promises to be a very dynamic and educational workshop. Call Aaron Butler at 603.305.6447 for more information.

Last edited by Cady Goldfield : 03-19-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Cady Goldfield
United_States
Re: New Hampshire I Liq Chuan Workshop April 20-21, 2013

Here's a short YouTube clip of a spinning-hands demo by Sam F.S. Chin. The first 50 seconds or so show one of the basic sensitivity/connection exercises, then at about :54 some martial applications are demonstrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU_Tek4tWrk
Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Cady Goldfield
United_States

The hosts have assembled a more detailed description of this seminar, including the location:
=====================================================================

I Liq Chuan Instructor Wai Tang will be conducting an I Liq Chuan Workshop in Manchester, N.H April 20 & 21, 2013.

Seminar Topic: an Introduction to I Liq Chuan, Fifteen Basic Exercises and Spinning Hands

Saturday, April 20th 10:00am - 5:00pm
Sunday, April 21th 10:00am - 5:00pm

Workshop Fee*:
2 Days: $150
1 Day: $95

200 Elm Street
Manchester, New Hampshire 03101

Phone: 603-305-6447

I Liq Chuan is a sophisticated internal martial art that has become known for its effectiveness in developing mindfulness and - from mindfulness - real martial skill.

This workshop will focus on teaching you to clearly recognize the mechanism of body movement through the 15 Basic Exercises and core partner training, spinning hands. All levels of students are welcome to attend. This will be a great introduction for people new to I Liq Chuan as well as experienced ILC students and Instructors.

Fifteen Basic Exercises:
1. Mechanism of the Body Movement
2. Three Dimensional Planes
3. Energy Force of Yin and Yang
4. Footwork
5. Kicking
6. Power Training

Spinning Hands:
1. Eight Cycles of Spinning Hands
2. How to generate force to the point of contact
3. Learning to maintain constant energy on changing point of contact
4. Recognizing energy of flow, fend, roll and pivot

ABOUT I-LIQ CHUAN:
I Liq Chuan (roughly translated as "mind-body fist") is an art of cultivating consciousness based on Tai Chi and Chan (Zen) principles of non-assertion, non-resistance, harmony of yin and yang, oneness, and realization within the present moment. As a system of kung fu, I Liq Chuan emphasizes the development of internal power through mental attitude and awareness. The training develops sticking and merging abilities, circular and spiral energies, Chin Na (locking), Fa Jing (projecting force), Chi Kung skills, and most importantly, the integration of the mind's complete awareness in the present moment. I Liq Chuan trains the ability to sense the opponent's intention through awareness and to redirect force and use it against an opponent or incorporate it in the use of Fa Jing.

ABOUT I LIQ CHUAN INSTRUCTOR WAI TANG:
Wai has trained exclusively in I Liq Chuan directly from the gatekeeper, Grandmaster Sam FS Chin. He has cross-trained in many different systems so he can understand perspectives from students coming into I Liq Chuan from other systems. He can share with you invaluable contextual insights and guidance that will enhance your training experience and your ability to progress.

Wai has been training I Liq Chuan since 2004, and has been a disciple of Master Sam FS Chin since 2008.
Wai has traveled extensively to train with and assist Master Chin; highlights include
• San Francisco in 2006, 2007, 2010
• Malaysia in 2009
• Perth, Australia in 2009
• Moscow, Russia in 2009
• Kiev, Ukraine 2009
• Los Angles, 2011
• MACS Martial Arts Collective Society Gathering, Sacramento 2011

Wai started off in Chinese Kung Fu when he was a teenager in Hong Kong. He later began training in Japanese martial arts of Akido and started the long journey of searching for the secret of internal martial art. This led him to years of study in Taijiquan (both Yang and Chen Style) and Baguazhang. In 2004, Wai met Grandmaster Sam in an I Liq Chuan workshop at Chuang Yen Monastery and since then became the dedicated student of I Liq Chuan.
Wai is currently one of a selected few students around the world to hold the I Liq Chuan rank of Student Level 6.

=============================================================================
*There is a seminar discount for ILC members (wear ILC uniform t-shirt, sash, pants and bring your passbook)
ILC Membership Discount:
Basic: $20
Level 1+: $30
Instructor Level 1: $40
Instructor Level 2: $50
Old 03-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Slight change in the ILC member discount:
Members: 10%
Student Level 1-3: 20%
Student Level 4+ / Instructors: 30%
Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
Cady Goldfield
United_States

They changed it again...
Member: 10%
Student Level 1-3: 15%
Student Level 4+/Instructors: 20%

Sorry about that.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Coming up this weekend.
Anyone interested in participating should contact Aaron Butler (contact info above) this week.