Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #26
NagaBaba

Re: Should I Re-Start Aikido?

Quote:
Rich Hobbs wrote: View Post
I'm not convinced you need to pay someone to help you lose a stone of weight or so; you may want to and it may be helpful, but it's by no means required that you have a certified dietician or have a qualified coach to try and eat healthily and do some exercise.

The suggestion that Aikido will not help you lose weight makes a lot of presumptions on the person in question and the dojo they are planning on training at.

The question isn't "should I get back to training as a weight loss and fitness programme" it was "should I get back to training" with the additional question of "will being out of shape be a problem?". My answers are "Yes, if you want to or think you want to. You are free to change your mind at any time." and "Not necessarily; it depends on how you approach your training on the mat and possibly off of it as well if you feel like it's necessary or you wish to."

Good luck
Hi Rich,
You probably didn't read carefully TO message:

Problem is, across this period of time, I also gain one stone of weight, huge pot belly, turkey neck and lost my fitness. I basically can't even do a couple of break-falls without panting and the thought of doing a full kote-gaeshi ukemi or a hip throw ukemi is nightmare to me now

It means he is overweighed and no fitness at all. Attempt to practice, particularly intensive practice in such health condition is simply dangerous. Also having idea that aikido practice will help him out is another dangerous illusion.
Human body is much more complicated that car, and for serious problems with your car you simply go to the car expert. Then you have a warranty of a job well done. Then, you can drive safely. Now human body needs even more care that is reason for my advice. The professionals have a well-established plans for such cases. Also, regaining a good health it is a process that takes a time, sometimes years. A follow up with professional is a big advantage.

Aikido has different goals, and shouldn't be misused.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #27
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany

Nagababa, I am glad to know the voice of uncomfortable truths is still with us.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #28
NagaBaba

Quote:
Nicholas Eschenbruch wrote: View Post
Nagababa, I am glad to know the voice of uncomfortable truths is still with us.
Nicholas, I'm also glad to be with you A truth is a simple truth, comfortable or uncomfortable these are dualistic categorizations coming from imperfection of our spirit.

Nagababa

Old 06-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #29
Basia Halliop
Canada

Personally I agree that doing aikido won't necessarily take weight off -- most people need to change their diet for that, and you may find other physical training is needed to help make sure you keep/gain muscle and lose fat, to strengthen your joints, etc, and I'm sure you would need to limit yourself for a while for safety reasons, particularly when it comes to ukemi (which is the kind of thing you may remember how to do without your body being up to it). But lots of beginners take a long time to learn ukemi, so to me that's not unique.

But personally, for me I have always found that having something that I do on a regular basis that I love to do and want to be able to do better is the best motivation and constant reminder to do other (more boring and less intrinsically rewarding) kinds of things that will help me do the things I love better. When I started aikido I was skinny but weak and very quickly tired. Many things I wasn't physically capable of then that I can do now, I did only beginner classes, only two a week, and people were very gentle with me, but I loved it. Partly aikido helped me get in shape some (esp cardio) but it also gave me a lot of new reasons and reminders and rewards to push me to get healthier and fitter. I've found the same with other activities I like for themselves. For me it's important to do something you can get passionate about.

You may find the same. (or you may not)
Old 06-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #30
Basia Halliop
Canada

Also 1 stone is 14 lb or a bit more than 6 kg. He's out of shape and has no cardio but it's not like he's morbidly obese or something. You could always go to the doctor first to make sure there's no lurking health problems that means you shouldn't start a new activity but purely going by the description to me he doesn't sound any worse than a lot of (most?) beginners when they first start. ??? Assuming you have common sense and train respecting your body (though it's true, some people find this difficult, so I guess you have to know yourself to know if you can). Just IMO, not a doctor of course.

Last edited by Basia Halliop : 06-26-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #31
Simon Lai
Dojo: Yoshinkan

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
If you think that aikido will help you to lose your overweight you are wrong. You have to change your life style, diet and this under control of certified dietician. So I see it as a first step. Then, you may consider starting very light running every day, also following advices qualified coach. Only after that, you can be back into the tatami, otherwise it will be huge disappointment and you will quite dojo forever.
Touche Szczepan Janczuk.

BTW, how do you pronunce Szczepan Janczuk. What sort of name is that? Greek? Russian? Croat?

Simon Lai.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #32
NagaBaba

Quote:
Simon Lai wrote: View Post
Touche Szczepan Janczuk.

BTW, how do you pronunce Szczepan Janczuk. What sort of name is that? Greek? Russian? Croat?

Simon Lai.
Hi Simon,
I'm happy you are taking it seriously. It is the most important step in the path.

For my name, forget about pronunciation! Simple mortals can't do that correctly Just call me Nagababa, it will be quite correct..

Nagababa

Old 06-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #33
Brian Beach
United_States

There is a saying that I've been seeing a lot lately on tee shirts and the like - " No matter how slow you go, You are still lapping everyone on the couch"

Go, have fun, be patient with yourself.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #34
lbb
United_States

Brian, I like that one a lot!

Or, as a friend of mine once said (while climbing an actual mountain and having a lot of struggle doing so), "I can climb this mountain one step at a time."
Old 07-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #35
Simon Lai

Attended my first lesson today, but sadly there is no Ah-Ha moment just yet.

We did nikajo technique today and I have to say my nikajo is still workable after all these years.

I gassed out quite quickly.... Expected since my cardio is in bad shape.

Simon
Old 07-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #36
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Simon Lai wrote: View Post
Attended my first lesson today, but sadly there is no Ah-Ha moment just yet.

We did nikajo technique today and I have to say my nikajo is still workable after all these years.

I gassed out quite quickly.... Expected since my cardio is in bad shape.

Simon
Glad you went and glad you reported back!
Just keep showing up and training to the best of your ability and that best will slowly improve.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #37
Simon Lai
Is this my A-Ha moment?

Yesterday, we were doing tanto mune tsuki and tanto yokomen uchi and gyuku yokomen uchi jiyu waza (uke can come from either hand).

When it was my turn to be the shite, I kept on doing hiji-ate kokyu-nage when uke comes with tanto mune tsuki and ushiro-ate when uke comes with tanto yokomen uchi or gyuku yokomen uchi.

There was no thinking, I seem to have forgotten all other techniques and just repeatedly do the two techniques as mentioned, over and over again....

Is this my A-Ha moment? When it comes to pressure testing is this how my body will react? Should I be faced with similar situation in non-dojo setting, will my body react similarly?

My A-Ha moment is that it is better to be good in one or two techniques than be good in many techniques and get confused when you really need to use it.

Yesterday, I am happy to have the opportunity to get to know myself better.

What say you all?

Simon

Last edited by Simon Lai : 07-11-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #38
LinTal
Dojo: Aikido Terrey Hills
Australia

Me too! I had that at class just last night!

But I figure it this way - I remembered two techniques without planning to, didn't get smacked in the head (much), didn't fall over my feet as often as I used to and didn't need to run away. Progress!!

The world changes when you do.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #39
Scott Josephus
Dojo: tokushinkan
United_States

Hopefully my input here is of some help. I will be 37 this August, so not that far removed from you agewise. I had trained for about four or five years, and then had several events happen in my personal life almost all at once - a new job, a new baby, several illnesses in the family, a death in the family, my wife losing her job due to sed illness . . . long story short, I ended up taking an unintentional hiatus . . . which ended up lasting three years.

I am also out of shape, and have put on some poundage as well. I started getting aggravated at things far more than I should be, felt tightening in my chest when I was stressed, and just all around felt something was out of balance in my life.

One week ago yesterday, I headed back to the dojo for the first time in three years. My Sensei was very excited to see me back on the mat. I practiced for almost four hours that day - in fact I think I overdid it, because there was one point I was barely able to breathe. But when I trained Wednesday, my breathing was better, and things started to fall back into place. Same thing when I hit the mat yesterday.

After only a week back, I can already start to feel the benefits; I feel calmer, more focused; some of my irritation at pointless things has gone away. The pressure in my chest has stopped. And I am more engaged in trying to apply the principles of Budo to my own life.

Some of my techniques are still rough, sure. Things need to be worked on. But that's always the case, isn't it?

My advice to you: Hit the mat as soon as possible. But take it slow, but consistantly. Set a mionimum for how many times you will go to class that week . . . you can always ramp it up later and go to more classes if you are able. If you are worried about what you can and can't do at this point, talk with your Sensei about your concerns: No good Sensei will put you at risk of needless injury. When you do your techniques, go slow at first until you have the movements down fluidly; speed will come in time.

After your first few classes, your muscles will start to re-adjust. You'll be hurting, you'll be achey (Aiki? ), but you'll be glad you're back.

Last edited by Scott Josephus : 07-29-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Spelling errors.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #40
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

If you feel that you tire quickly, maybe you should start by losing a few pounds before hitting the mat. Just walking thirty minutes three times a week will help, providing that you also review your diet. The prospect of returning on the mat can be a powerful motivation for regaining control of your health.
Come on, go for it, and keep us updated on your journey, we will be here to help, advise and encourage you.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #41
Aikironin21
Dojo: Aikido of Solano
United_States

Great to hear you got back onto the mat! I think I may be the king of start and stop training! At least, when it comes to going to organized classes and dojo. I started training in Aikido when I was about 19 in 1994. Here I am, 37 in 2012 at the rank of 3rd kyu. Now, due to my profession, I have never just shelved my personal training, so returning to classes or dojo has never been like starting over for me. I have put on weight in my absences though, and yes returning to class can make you gas. Think about. Even if you were in your living room, lay down on the floor and get up over and over again, and after a while you have a workout for someone who does little physical activity.

So what can you do? Well, even if you lose weight right now, you would be moving less weight, but you will still gas on the cardio end. I would suggest, just walk! No need to become a marathoner or anything. Get out and walk for about thirty minutes at a good pace. Try to hit a mile in about fifteen minutes. Add to your walk, some Aiki-principles of movement, and treat it as a meditation.

At 37, I have started reducing my intake of grains and grain based foods and sugars. My mother began her battle with diabetes at age 40. I do not wish travel that path, so I am limiting the intake of the foods which make the body into the environment to become diabetic. If you limit your grain and sugar intake you will find a healthy body weight, and your exercise in Aikido and/or walking should be the only physical activities you will need for being healthy. If you want to be go beyond just being healthy, then you'll need to hit the gym of course. You don't have to make yourself crazy, counting fat, carbs, or calories. Just simply as yourself, was this made from grains, or does it have sugar? If the answer is yes, then decide either don't eat it, or cut the serving down to 1/4th and enjoy. I like to think of grains as non-edible when I'm not on some kind of cheat meal or vacationing bender of gluttony. I mean, when you are served crab, you have no problem eating the meat inside, and discarding the shell; so just think of grains as shells.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #42
Aikironin21
Dojo: Aikido of Solano
United_States

As far as technique goes, I have my "go to" moves too. Mine happen to be Sankyo and Nikyo. Even when not training in Aikido, I always find Sankyo, or Nikyo, somewhere in an exchange.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #43
edshockley
Dojo: Aiklikai of Philadelphia

I am not contradicting the unanimous vote to "try it" but I do think you should examine your reasons for returning. If it is only to get fit again then you might compare Aikido to the various activities that serve the same end. As a first kyu you certainly have trained enough to understand the true place that Aikido holds in the life of a serious student and so you are sure that you are training for the right reasons and rewards. You might also visit a recently started forum about training as we age. You don't want to set yourself back with an injury.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #44
Millsy
Dojo: Aiki-Centre
Australia

Good to see you have started training again.
I too started back after many years in my mid 30's, plus way more that a few pounds and arthritis of the knee. A few years on now and its the best thing I did, I can't say I'm much lighter, but I am fitter and feel better on the whole, and my physiotherpest doesn't believe my knee is the same as the one the MRI shows and tells me whatever it is I'm doing to keep doing it.
I hope your experience is as good as mine.