Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-08-2002, 07:36 AM   #1
Sennover
When to start training

After starting Aikido training? when should I start training with a weapon?

Should I do it as soon as possible or should I wait and try to ba good at aikidio before trying to weild a weapon.

I have heard quite a bit of the Jo and the story of Miyamoto Musashi, and I was wondering if the Jojutsu that we can learn in Aikido is more or less the same as the technics created by the man that defeated Musashi with this weapon, or does it just take the basics of the Jo and follow a whole other style than the "classic" one.

Altough I am quite convinsed that I'll try training with the Jo, I am still curious to know what kind of styles do you find when training with a sword in Aikido.
DO e find classical styles like Kempo and such or again does Aikido have it's own styles of sword fightinng?

And one last question just of curiosity: do we find the nunchaku in Aikido training ? I know that it's a weapon crerated for the SHaolin Kung Fu but I just wanted to know if it had been imported in some of the japaneses martial arts

Thanks. Senn.

When knowledge is power, than to be unknown is unconquerable
Old 08-08-2002, 08:47 AM   #2
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Smile

i guess thats all down to your sensei, we did some tanto training within a few weeks, although it was mainly defence work, we have now done some bokken work but i dont beleive we'll do any Jo work for quite some time i beleive until at least 4th Kyu

like i say tho it will differ with each sensei.

(start of really bad chinese accent)

Have paitience glassdropper or you will never move to the grill.

sorry

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 08-08-2002, 08:59 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States
IMHO, you should start training in weapons when you Sensei starts instructing you in them. They are an extension of you hand techniques, so learn them first. Other arts (FMA: Kali, Escrima, Arnis) start with weapons and then moves to hands. Follow your instruction, that why you are there.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-08-2002, 09:51 AM   #4
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Re: When to start training

Quote:
Sebastien Steen wrote:
After starting Aikido training? when should I start training with a weapon?

Should I do it as soon as possible or should I wait and try to ba good at aikidio before trying to weild a weapon.
Start training a weapon when your teacher starts teaching it in class (Asuming your club does weaponstraining).
Quote:
And one last question just of curiosity: do we find the nunchaku in Aikido training ? I know that it's a weapon crerated for the SHaolin Kung Fu but I just wanted to know if it had been imported in some of the japaneses martial arts
I have never seen nunchakus in aikido, but that does not necessairly mean it does not exist or no-one is training that. Have seen people use tanto, ken, jo, umbrella, handfans and chopsticks.

Last edited by akiy : 04-09-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 08-08-2002, 09:56 AM   #5
mike lee
Cool when?

When your teacher tells you.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:54 AM   #6
Leslie Parks
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo
Thumbs down Weapons Training

IMHO---Incorporate weapons training as soon as it is available to you. That, of course, depends on how your instructor/dojo presents weapons as part of the curriculum. If in doubt, ask.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:03 PM   #7
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Sebastien Steen wrote:
I was wondering if the Jojutsu that we can learn in Aikido is more or less the same as the technics created by the man that defeated Musashi with this weapon, or does it just take the basics of the Jo and follow a whole other style than the "classic" one.
It's different. The jo style you mention is Shindo Muso Ryu. It's taught in some dojo, I believe Chuck Clark's dojo incorporates it, but it's not the jo of Osensei.

Last edited by akiy : 04-09-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 08-12-2002, 06:25 AM   #8
Sennover
Thanks

THank you for answering guys,

I've checked it with some Aikidokas that I met and they to said that it depended on wich Sensei they had and some had started earlier than others, I just wanted to know if there was a recomended time or not.

But I'll just have to wait and see how my Sensei will teach the art this fall.

Thanks again.

When knowledge is power, than to be unknown is unconquerable
Old 08-17-2002, 02:50 PM   #9
David Worsley
Dojo: Plymouth School of Aikido

Having trained for very many years in both aikido and the weapons thought to be traditionally Japanese, I would suggest that the two should if at all possible run concurrently. Bokken (katana) and jo work improves timing, rhythm, posture and the accuracy of your targetting. They will also enable you to identify the roots of many aiki techniques, as O`Sensei himself was a great proponant of weapons. This is an activity that should not be started in isolation, nor without the express guidance of an accredited instructor and your Sensei. As he/she may have a very specific training regime in which weapons may play a part.

My Sensei always reminds us to look at the Tai Jitsu that developes from the use of weapons.