Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
6th Degree Judo Coach H.A.L. von Luebbert Street-style Judo Seminar - Ohio

Hal Von Luebbert will instruct a ju jitsu clinic July 24-25-26 at "The Mojo". The Mojo is the home dojo of "Just This Aikido" run by Moe Stevens. The Mojo is just south of Grove City, Ohio and is a new 2100 sq. ft., climate controlled, fully matted dojo. The three day clinic will consist of five teaching sessions scheduled as follows:

Friday
7:00 PM -- 9:00 PM

Saturday
9:00 AM -- 12:00PM
1:30 PM -- 4:30 PM
5:00 PM -- 7:00 PM

Sunday
10:00 AM -- 1:00 PM
(or till you have mastered the curriculum taught)

Hal is a most unusual and accomplished person, whom you will thoroughly enjoy. He has competed in over 1000 certified judo, Wrestling and Sambo matches, is a former Olympic judo coach, is a former CIA field operative, was one of the first developers of SWAT tactics, has taught police science and has refined the 2-on-1 series for grappling into varied police and street applications. His 2-on-1 series is called the "21 grip" series. I have studied martial arts for 42 years, coached high school wrestling for 25 years and I was blown away by the effectiveness and versatility to which Hal has taken this series. I now teach it in all my wrestling, ju jitsu, and aikido classes. I am sure you will be amazed by the many variations of this technique, its ease of application, and its success in competition.

The weekend long clinic will cost $100.00. I will supply water during breaks, but you can bring your own fluids if you prefer. There is no pre registration. There are hotels close by but anyone who wants to sleep on the mats may do so free of charge (bring your own sleeping bag). A gi is preferable for learning the basic system. Non-jacketed applications will be presented as well.

Contact me (Moe Stevens) at mastevems@columbus.rr.com if you plan on attending and I will send you directions to The Mojo and a list of area hotels with phone numbers. After Saturday night's session we will have a buffet served at The China Bell, a local restaurant; the cost will be $20.00.

Please forward this to any and all students of martial arts and grappling you know. Everyone is welcome.
If you have any questions please contact me at:
Moe Stevens
1470 Hiner Rd
Orient, OH 43146
mastevens@columbus.rr.com
Old 07-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #2
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: 6th Degree Judo Coach H.A.L. von Luebbert Street-style Judo Seminar - Ohio

I'll bite. So can you tell us a bit about the 21 grip?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
I'll bite. So can you tell us a bit about the 21 grip?
The Russian competitive wrestlers made the 2 on 1 grip popular. It is like fighting from the flank with two hands on one arm of the opponent.

HAL perfected the system into a complete strategy back in the early 1990's. He proved it by strictly using it in Judo competitions and went all the way to winning a Bronze at the Nationals with it.

Each movement in the system is designed to take advantage of how trained fighters are taught to respond to primary moves. Thus, how a pro reacts is actually causing him to fall deeper into your traps.

HAL is a master tactician. He is 71 now and still trains harder than anyone I have ever met on the mats. He makes some powerful claims in his website judoknighterrant.com. Look at his pages on training, fight strength and Judo. HAL is a doer that backs his claims with demonstration, rondori and calculus. He is also a humble and down-to-earth guy, very polite, and lobes to help others.

He is literally the toughest hombre I have ever met.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Hal von Luebbert on "Hands"! (from his website)
www.judoknighterrant.com

How do you train your hands! In the same manner that a chain is only as strong as its strongest (weakest, SIC) link, a fighter is as strong as his hands. I have beaten literally dozens of men far stronger than me in terms of how much they can lift or do a body-building exercise, simply because my hands were far stronger.

The studs I watched in gyms everywhere as I traveled the U.S. a few years ago kidded themselves into believing they were strong because they had eighteen-inch upper arms, yet used wrist-wraps to hold the weight were fooling themselves in pretty much the same way as handgunners and riflemen who think they are ready to shoot in actual combat shoot because they've done massive dry-firing and actual shooting exercises. Being able to hit a target from a bench or using the dozens of high-tech sights and other aiming gismos isn't much different than using wrist-wraps. The ignorance or self-deception can kill you.

The fact is that even with the dawn of the "ultimate fighter" sort of mixed martial arts competition, and with one or two exceptions having to do with my age, I have not yet seen a fighter I don't feel assured I would beat in an alley, a jungle, or a woods somewhere, sometime. The reason? My hands are invariably almost twice as powerful as theirs (I am also, of course, un-abused or un-bemused by the relentless torrent of ("BS" SIC) which surrounds and inundates discussion and study of fighting everywhere - fighting poorly is as insidious as physical weakness).

How strong do your hands have to be? Well,..... I reached the point that I could, with a device consisting of a length of two and a half inch PVC pipe attached to a length of rope tied to a weight, roll-lift a one hundred pound dumbbell up to my fists. The photo shows the method.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...e-77293ef6626f

How strong is strong? Well, like I said, try the rope, pipe, and weight. The threshold that separates strong from mediocre - approximately ninety percent of males - is fifty pounds. Seventy-five pounds puts you in the ninety-fifth percentile (only five percent are stronger). A hand that can crush the top or bottom of an aluminum beer can (in my youth, I could do that with a steel can - or holding a steel "church key" beer opener between forefinger and thumb, fold it in upon itself) between thumb and the first two fingers can crush a man's larynx (without an immediate tracheotomy, incidentally, almost certain death). Even being held by the upper lip and/or nose by a hand like that is excruciatingly painful and, in my experience, ends the fight.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...e-77293ef6626f