Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Sam Turnage

Dojo: Grass Valley Aikiki
United_States
Help keeping my dogi pants up

Ok not sure if anyone can help me on this or not but, you know how the saying goes, "If you don't ask, you won't receive". For instance years ago I learned a different way to tie my belt that will not come undone. So just maybe there's a trick for this.

I need help keeping my Dogi pants up or tight. I have dealt with this problem for years but lately it's been driving me nuts or I'm just pain feed up with it.

First off it's not a physique issue, meaning I'm not a fat bastard, or it's not the fact that I have a beer gut and a flat ass or something like that. I have an average build, thin and athletic etc.

This is what I do and what I see happening:
I suck my gut in a bit and tie the pants as tight as I can like you would tie your shoes. Later after training for a bit it becomes annoyingly very loose. When I look at it to retie the knot, the knot itself is still in tacked but the string has stretched like 2" or more and is now very loose; my son has the same problem. Many other people seem to have this problem but mine seems worse.

"If we are wise, let us perpare for the worst."

George Washington
Old 07-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Help keeping my dogi paints up

Overlap the cords TWICE, not once, like in tying a shoelace and then tied the bow or other not. The increased surface area of overlapping the cords twice usually does the trick.

marc abrams
Old 07-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Sam Turnage

United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Overlap the cords TWICE, not once, like in tying a shoelace and then tied the bow or other not. The increased surface area of overlapping the cords twice usually does the trick.

marc abrams
I think I understand, I will try it today.

Thanks for trying to help Marc

George Washington
Old 07-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
akiy

Hi Sam,

If you are talking about drawstring pants, have you tried replacing the drawstring with a non-stretchable (but still tie-able) drawstring?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Adam Huss

United_States

Maybe try a different brand....sometimes you can order just the pants or top.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
If you are talking about drawstring pants, have you tried replacing the drawstring with a non-stretchable (but still tie-able) drawstring?
This. Whatever material your current drawstring is, clearly it's got a lot of stretch. Simple solution: switch to something less stretchy. Nylon is very stretchy, cotton can be stretchy when wet, braided polyester or polypropylene can be a lot less stretchy. Go to the hardware store and look around for a better material -- it's a cheap solution.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Sam Turnage

United_States

Yes, I have thought of trying a different drawstring of some kind (don't know what) that might be less stretchy. I have two gi sets, different brands / makers but both are all cotton I think.

George Washington
Old 07-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Sam Turnage wrote: View Post
Yes, I have thought of trying a different drawstring of some kind (don't know what) that might be less stretchy. I have two gi sets, different brands / makers but both are all cotton I think.
how's about 3/4" or 5/8" ballistic nylon webbing? http://www.acw1.com/webbing.html

i have a bujin gi pant that has that sort of thing and it works great.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
Sam Turnage

United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
how's about 3/4" or 5/8" ballistic nylon webbing? http://www.acw1.com/webbing.html

i have a bujin gi pant that has that sort of thing and it works great.
Ok, this is good but then you would need a buckle of some kind right and his could hurt or dig into you when grappaling or not, never tried it, what do I know. What does the bujin pant use or look like?

Anyway I like where this is going, simply make a small belt and get rid of the damn cotton strings; it is 2010 you know.

Last edited by Sam Turnage : 07-01-2010 at 02:07 PM.

George Washington
Old 07-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ok not sure if anyone can help me on this or not but, you know how the saying goes, "If you don't ask, you won't receive". For instance years ago I learned a different way to tie my belt that will not come undone. So just maybe there's a trick for this.

I need help keeping my Dogi pants up or tight. I have dealt with this problem for years but lately it's been driving me nuts or I'm just pain feed up with it.

First off it's not a physique issue, meaning I'm not a fat bastard, or it's not the fact that I have a beer gut and a flat ass or something like that. I have an average build, thin and athletic etc.

This is what I do and what I see happening:
I suck my gut in a bit and tie the pants as tight as I can like you would tie your shoes. Later after training for a bit it becomes annoyingly very loose. When I look at it to retie the knot, the knot itself is still in tacked but the string has stretched like 2" or more and is now very loose; my son has the same problem. Many other people seem to have this problem but mine seems worse.
Dear Sam,
Why not have a chat with Ramos Sensei about the problem?I am sure she will give you good info.
While you hopefully speak to her tell Ramos Sensei [Cecilia] I send her my best regards,
Cheers, Joe.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
phitruong
United_States

Quote:
Ok, this is good but then you would need a buckle of some kind right and his could hurt or dig into you when grappaling or not, never tried it, what do I know. What does the bujin pant use or look like?

Anyway I like where this is going, simply make a small belt and get rid of the damn cotton strings; it is 2010 you know.
the bujin pant has a little brass clip buckle which i don't even noticed. worked good as far as i could tell.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I have found that the best way to keep my pants tied is to first tighten them on the sides (where the front and back part meets and assuming your pants have this gap as well). Then, I pull the strings tight again in the front. Seems to work for me. I just do a regular bow knot.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Sam, you're making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be. There's a quick and cheap solution. Go to the hardware store -- any hardware store. In most stores they'll have a selection of rope that is sold by the foot. If they can't tell you which is low stretch, test it out yourself by grabbing it with your two hands and giving a tug. Find one that doesn't stretch much, then buy as much as you need. If it's a synthetic, which it probably will be, and their cutter doesn't heat-seal the ends, just use a match or lighter to do the same yourself when you get home, otherwise it will unravel on you. Problem solved!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
Sam Turnage

United_States

Quote:
the bujin pant has a little brass clip buckle which i don't even noticed. worked good as far as i could tell.
Thanks Phi

George Washington
Old 07-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
Sam Turnage

United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Sam, you're making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be. There's a quick and cheap solution. Go to the hardware store -- any hardware store. In most stores they'll have a selection of rope that is sold by the foot. If they can't tell you which is low stretch, test it out yourself by grabbing it with your two hands and giving a tug. Find one that doesn't stretch much, then buy as much as you need. If it's a synthetic, which it probably will be, and their cutter doesn't heat-seal the ends, just use a match or lighter to do the same yourself when you get home, otherwise it will unravel on you. Problem solved!
LOL, Mary I know that, it's just how I roll. I often make things more difficult then they are. But I figure that I've been lazy and put up with this standard setup that is not working for years so why not take my time, research, lesson to others and what they have done and do it right. And why reinvent the wheel, I mean no one has suggested anything that I haven't thought of, and I didn't really expect them too. I knew that I can't be the only man that has had this problem and I was looking for people to tell me what they have tried or done, and what the pros and cons are so that I, the former carpenter and 8+ year construction superintendent don't have to go down to the hardware store and waist my time and money experimenting or what I would call "Jerry rigging" something when all I had to do is search or ask. That's what I like about forums like this, sharing knowledge and ideas. I have a saying that someone taught me long ago and tell all the guys, it's called the 6 P's of construction. "Prior planning prevents piss poor performance."

George Washington
Old 07-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #16
phitruong
United_States

Quote:
LOL, Mary I know that, it's just how I roll. I often make things more difficult then they are. .......... I have a saying that someone taught me long ago and tell all the guys, it's called the 6 P's of construction. "Prior planning prevents piss poor performance."
just ignore her. she just doesn't understand guys need for complex engineering solution to solve problem. if we men hadn't thinking of complex engineering solutions we would still be in the cave grunting ugh ugh and clubbing things with big chunk of woods. with our engineering progress, we have achieved much in order to produce such things as hunting ducks with automatic weapons or fishing with explosive. *i know nothing about those and that's my story which i will stick to it*
Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #17
Sam Turnage

United_States

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Sam,
Why not have a chat with Ramos Sensei about the problem?I am sure she will give you good info.
While you hopefully speak to her tell Ramos Sensei [Cecilia] I send her my best regards,
Cheers, Joe.
Ask my Sensei? Well Joe what a novel idea. Lol…the funny thing is that I asked her last night and after hearing her response, I laughed and said, I should have asked you about this years ago. The reason I didn't ask Sensei is that I figured that most girls don't have this problem to the degree that men do anyway because of there hips and body shape. But just because she has not had the problem does not mean that she doesn't have a solution.
Naturally I am very fond of my Sensei and think very highly of her both as a Martial artist and as a person but having gone to functions like summer camp with her I see that I'm not the only one. She seems to be very popular; seeming knows everyone and has made many friends over the years. I will pass your greeting on to her today but would also encourage you to contact her personally as well. She has been thru a lot in the past year and I think hearing from old friends that care seems to really lift her spirits. She looks great and is recovering well.

Regards,
Sam

George Washington
Old 07-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #18
Sam Turnage

United_States

Quote:
just ignore her. she just doesn't understand guys need for complex engineering solution to solve problem. if we men hadn't thinking of complex engineering solutions we would still be in the cave grunting ugh ugh and clubbing things with big chunk of woods. with our engineering progress, we have achieved much in order to produce such things as hunting ducks with automatic weapons or fishing with explosive. *i know nothing about those and that's my story which i will stick to it*
thats funny, I don't know what your talking about either

George Washington
Old 07-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #19
Sam Turnage

United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
I have found that the best way to keep my pants tied is to first tighten them on the sides (where the front and back part meets and assuming your pants have this gap as well). Then, I pull the strings tight again in the front. Seems to work for me. I just do a regular bow knot.
my strings are not long enough for anything like that unless i'm just not getting what your doing.

I hope to train up there some day I have friends and family in Or.

thanks for your help Ashley cheers

George Washington
Old 07-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
One word. Staplegun. Or is that two... Okay, two words. Staple Gun. There. Problem solved. Next?

Old 07-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #21
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
my strings are not long enough for anything like that unless i'm just not getting what your doing.

I hope to train up there some day I have friends and family in Or.

thanks for your help Ashley cheers
For our pants, the very top part where the string goes through (our string is actually inside the material and not on the outside), on each side of your hips is a gap (actually like a triangle with the tip pointed down- similar to a gap on a hakama but on a MUCH smaller scale) where you can see the cotton fabric string. I tug it tight there and then I tug it taught again in the front of the pants before tying. It requires no additional string then what is already there.

Our string is also looped inside of our pants. It doesn't just go in one side wrap around the back and come out the other. Ours is wrapped inside of the pants kind of like how a belt is wrapped around your waist so there are actually two layers of strings (instead of two layers of your obi) on each side of our hips instead of one. Does that make any sense at all? HAHA.

Also, we would love to have you at our dojo. We love it when visitors come. We actually just had five visitors last week and it was very nice. I think it is great training with different people.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #22
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
One word. Staplegun. Or is that two... Okay, two words. Staple Gun. There. Problem solved. Next?
I'm envisioning more the Rube Goldberg approach. Obtain and light a firecracker > scare the neighbor's dog > it jumps fence into next neighbor's yard, gets tangled in laundry drying in the sun > jumps back in a panic and races across his backyard, dragging all the laundry and with it the clothesline > still in a panic he runs into OP's backyard > clothesline snags around the big tree, dog is brought up short as tension is applied, is raised up off ground in a huge circle, and as the clothespins pop off the clothesline, dog is hurled back into his yard, confused but unhurt > OP goes into backyard to do tameshigiri, by pure luck cuts clothesline into perfect length for drawstring > etc....

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #23
Sam Turnage

United_States

LOL.....funny

George Washington
Old 07-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #24
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Wear elasticated pants like the kiddies do, rather than drawstring pants

I have some and they are great - I just don't fit into them at the moment due to being 6 months pregnant

Ruth
Old 07-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #25
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

I think what Ashley is talking about is - in most drawstring pants the string sits inside a seam in the top of the waist kinda thing. And when you think you're tightening the string it bunches up the material of the pants, and some of the string actually isn't able to tighten completely. When you start practice and move around, the bunched up material in the waist of the pants moves as well and lets a bit more of the drawstring straighten as well, result: a loose drawstring.

So the solution to that is make sure that the material of the pants doesn't stay bunched up when you tighten the string, which Ashley does by pulling on the string in the sides.

Whew. Does that make any sense?

Oh, one more thing - if you're very slender, it might be that there simply is too much material around your waist to tie the pants tight enough.

kvaak
Pauliina