Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-14-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Article: Penetrating the Heart of Aikido by Ross Robertson

Discuss the article, "Penetrating the Heart of Aikido" by Ross Robertson here.

Article URL: http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/rrobertson/2005_02.html
Old 02-15-2005, 02:08 AM   #2
darin
Re: Article: Penetrating the Heart of Aikido by Ross Robertson

I hope this guy isn't teaching kids classes...
Old 02-15-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Hey Ross Sensei. Now I REALLY want to come train in your dojo

Hope all is well.

Tell Katie I said hi.

Later,

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-15-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States

Hmmm, I am in love with the referential integrity of the concepts -- Yin and Yang of aikido's blending movements, in practice, exposing the beauty of their harmony But, the implications for aikido-as-sex crossed with the idea of responding to a violent attack brings on overtones of rape that I am really not comfortable with. The Aiki-fruity in me is entranced; the Aiki-thug is shocked at the implications that he might be a practicing bisexual

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 02-16-2005, 11:10 PM   #5
R.A. Robertson
Dojo: Still Point Aikido Center

Hey Bronson,

You know you'd fit right in...
Katie sends love, and yes, all is indeed well.

Sooner,

Ross

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
Hey Ross Sensei. Now I REALLY want to come train in your dojo
Hope all is well.
Tell Katie I said hi.
Later,

Bronson
Old 02-17-2005, 08:01 AM   #6
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

I liked the sentiment, but the article was more about sentiment than reality. I think, even if what is said is true, it has to be brought out from the reality of confrontation, instead of being more of a philosophical arm-chair discussion. Most aikidoka can talk about ki, extension,yin/yang, love etc but how many of us practise it? In my mind, when the student is ready the teacher arrives; and to talk of these philosophical things openly is just to confuse people who aren't already aware of it, because there is no frame of reference. We may as well read a Japanese book on shinto mythology and pretend our aikido or our lives has been improved.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Darin Hyde wrote:
I hope this guy isn't teaching kids classes...
When visiting my sister in Austin, I stopped by Ross' dojo and before taking adult class, observed kids class. It was quite simply the best kids class I've ever seen. My sister, who does not do aikido, but has volunteered with kids a lot in other settings, was very impressed and found it very enjoyable.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-17-2005, 03:24 PM   #8
E.D. Gordon
Dojo: Shobukan Maryland
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
When visiting my sister in Austin, I stopped by Ross' dojo and before taking adult class, observed kids class. It was quite simply the best kids class I've ever seen. My sister, who does not do aikido, but has volunteered with kids a lot in other settings, was very impressed and found it very enjoyable.
I trained with Ross for several years, and while this column is very "Ross" I never felt threatened by him, but then, I am not threatened by sex, sexuality, or fun flirtations.

He is really brilliant with kids, I helped him teach his kids class for a short while. I never got anything approximating a "Michael Jackson" feeling from him, and his kids are good people.

We don't agree on everything, Ross and I, but he is, in my personal experience, ruthlessly ethical in such matters in his dojo.

I think it is a shortcoming, to be threatened by sex and sexuality. It's part of who we are.
Aikido is about power and submission, information exchange, and power exchange. So is sex.

It's part of human nature.
Deal with it.

mle
(life is sexually transmitted)

Last edited by E.D. Gordon : 02-17-2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
eyrie

Australia

Interesting allegory...

I just think aikido is BETTER than....(ahem)
Especially, when one is getting extended into and pounded into the mat or vice versa

Ignatius
Old 02-17-2005, 09:02 PM   #10
NagaBaba

He forgot completly to talk about his inner child !!!!!
One more of those Aiki-fruity dreamers

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 02-18-2005, 12:08 AM   #11
Janet Rosen

My inner child is a 16 yr old from Bklyn named Vito, and you don't wanna get him mad.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-18-2005, 09:19 AM   #12
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

My teacher told us he was doing a demo in a venue that had a BDSM event going on at the same time, he wondered what the leather people thought of the aikido. I said it was exactly the same thing.

My inner child is a three year old and she's already mad...thats why I train!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 02-18-2005, 12:02 PM   #13
E.D. Gordon
Dojo: Shobukan Maryland
United_States

Quote:
Jo Adell wrote:
My teacher told us he was doing a demo in a venue that had a BDSM event going on at the same time, he wondered what the leather people thought of the aikido. I said it was exactly the same thing.
At some point, I got pointed to a review of a demo Chuck and I did, on a BDSM website. It was a very cleareyed perspective on the role and power exchange we did.

I know Janet, therefore, I know Vito. Cute kid. Just give him the ice cream cone. NOW.

My inner *whatsit* never completely accepted being human, instead of something with claws and teeth, and that's why I train. The dragon needs somewhere to play, it needs to be trained and aimed.

mle
this explains my childhood artwork..
Old 02-18-2005, 01:59 PM   #14
Richard Elliott

Quote:
Emily Dolan Gordon wrote:
I trained with Ross for several years, and while this column is very "Ross" I never felt threatened by him, but then, I am not threatened by sex, sexuality, or fun flirtations.

He is really brilliant with kids, I helped him teach his kids class for a short while. I never got anything approximating a "Michael Jackson" feeling from him, and his kids are good people.

We don't agree on everything, Ross and I, but he is, in my personal experience, ruthlessly ethical in such matters in his dojo.

I think it is a shortcoming, to be threatened by sex and sexuality. It's part of who we are.
Aikido is about power and submission, information exchange, and power exchange. So is sex.

It's part of human nature.
Deal with it.

mle
(life is sexually transmitted)
Too true Ms. Gordon. I trained with Robertson sensei also and I can affirm what you've said here--period

Respectfully, Richard
Old 03-02-2005, 09:15 PM   #15
Beth Mizuno
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
United_States

Hard to talk about these kinds of things. Very brave of you, Ross. I agree with you. Wish I could just sit in Henry's kitchen and listen. There's a lot of communication going on in aikido. A lot of interaction. Relationships between uke and nage -- they flare into being at the moment of engagement and are gone just as fast. The relationship between training partners doing technique is one kind of relationship. Sexual relationships are just another kind. This, from an old married woman.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:59 AM   #16
R.A. Robertson

Thank you, Beth, for the kind words and understanding. The only reason these things are hard to talk about is that, well, nobody is talking. However marvelous the mechanics of this amazing life-stuff, it should be a normal, mundane thing to discuss. For humans at least, sexuality is everywhere and in everything. Plumbers, mechanics, and electricians commonly speak of plugging male and female parts together, and I don't see people suggesting that they stay away from kids because of it. Call it yin and yang, or male and female, it's all the same. And aikido, like these other things, is little more than connecting male and female parts together in ways that fit, ways that are creative and constructive.

I think the phrase "takemusu aiki" also hints at this, but perhaps that's another article.

Best wishes for you, your marriage, and your training!

Ross
Old 12-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #17
jbblack

Dojo: Aikido of Roseville
United_States

Ahhh Love, Lover, Beloved.

Well said Ross.

Be of good cheer,
Jeff
Old 12-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #18
R.A. Robertson

Quote:
Jeff Black wrote: View Post
Ahhh Love, Lover, Beloved.

Well said Ross.

Be of good cheer,
Jeff
Hey Jeff,

Wow, looks like you're really going back through the archives. Thanks for posting, and yes, I am doing my best these days to be of good cheer. Increasingly, I'm finding that part of a warrior's duty is to fight the gloom, despair, cynicism, pessimism, and all agents of ugliness. We have to lighten up, and radiate fierce beauty and joy. There may be no better weapons for the crisis of our time.

Be Loved,

Ross