Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-04-2001, 03:14 PM   #1
j. rose
"j. rose"
IP Hash: b6e61acb
Anonymous User
I'm a musician and have been studying aikido for about a year. Though I haven't been injured, sometimes I worry that certain techniques will damage my hands. Any other musician/aikidoists who might know about this?
Old 04-04-2001, 03:22 PM   #2
Steve Speicher
Dojo: Aikido of Central Ohio
Well I'll respond as a fellow musician. I don't know! I never thought about it. I guess a wrist injury would be pretty detrimental to musical practice, but I don't think everyday aikido practice in general will somehow weaken your musical ability. Unless practicing aikido means you aren't practicing your instrument. Anyway, just practice practice practice (aikido and the music). We can form an aiki band and tour the nations of the world, spreading the message of budo in the form of music. Or not.

-----------------------------
Steve Speicher
May I ask what is meant by the strong, moving power (hao jan chih chi)? "It
is difficult to describe," Mencius replied. -- Mencius IIA2

403-256 BCE
Old 04-04-2001, 03:23 PM   #3
Steve Speicher
Dojo: Aikido of Central Ohio
I'm not that clever, I stole that idea from Ikeda sensei.

-----------------------------
Steve Speicher
May I ask what is meant by the strong, moving power (hao jan chih chi)? "It
is difficult to describe," Mencius replied. -- Mencius IIA2

403-256 BCE
Old 04-04-2001, 05:12 PM   #4
[Censored]

Quote:
j. rose wrote:
I'm a musician and have been studying aikido for about a year. Though I haven't been injured, sometimes I worry that certain techniques will damage my hands. Any other musician/aikidoists who might know about this?
I played the sax about 8 years. I have occasionally jammed a finger in practice (sore for a few days), but have never sustained any serious hand damage.

I think working with computers is far more dangerous to my hands, then practicing Aikido.
Old 04-04-2001, 05:21 PM   #5
guest1234
i'm not a musician, but need my hands just as much for my job...i'd say other than a combination of errors in a weapons class, your hands are safer than most other sports or activities, in that a) they are usually not what we are working on and b) you can always tap...hard to tap out of jamming a finger in basketball/football/softball or even getting a door slamed on it...you know what is coming in Aikido and how to protect yourself.
and if weapons makes you nervous, i guess you could use a tsuba or even get padded gloves
Old 04-04-2001, 06:14 PM   #6
sceptoor
Dojo: http://ctr.usf.edu/aikido/
Bass player here, I haven't had any problems. At least not with my hands, and besides, I need my hands for work.

C. Martin

Old 04-04-2001, 10:21 PM   #7
Irony
Dojo: Aikido Center of Atlanta
Well I used to be a music major (3.5 years) in college, and that was something I worried about when I started aikido. The worst thing that ever happened so far was that a meaner-than-average guy in class smacked one of his hands over my ear in randori and I couldn't hear for half an hour. (I tried very hard not to get pissed) Someone kind of stepped on my hand once but I frantically snatched it away before weight could be applied. Oh, and my fiance smacked me in the lip (I play trumpet and bass, so that was a concern). And yes, it was during aikido practice and not over the dirty state of our apartment

Just be careful. Especially if you're going to go pro. A fast randori is not worth sacrificing your art.

By the way, do you think in-depth knowledge of rhythm helps your aikido? Sure does mine.

P.S. Generally, who doesn't use their hands at work? Opera singer? polititian? No, they have to shake hands with everyone...

Chris Pasley
Old 04-05-2001, 01:29 AM   #8
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi everybody!

Just like Sceptoor I play bass - just on a hobby basis but we've got a gig on saturday and practice tonight. I don't usually give it a lot of thought, but I guees I will have to be a little bit cautious tonight. Next week by the way we have a full week seminar with Shojii Nishio Sensei and since I often have a hard time concentrating at the end of the week on seminar I might get a few minor injuries. I will have to recover fast however since we got another gig by the end of april . Just for the record: I have never had any serious injury from Aikido.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 04-05-2001, 03:02 AM   #9
Simone
Dojo: Augsburg/Haunstetten
Germany
Hi there!

I'm playing many different instruments just for fun and had never problems since I started Aikido. In fact, I never thought about that before. Maybe because it's only hobby, as a professional I would be concerned, too. Sometimes my left wrist aikes, but not so much that I cannot play. I also didn't have a major injury from Aikido.

Steve, if you ever go on this "Aiki-tournee" inform me, I'll join you in Europe!!!

I have now food for my thoughts: interplay between music and Aikido. Very interesting!

Simone
Old 04-06-2001, 03:37 AM   #10
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Actually I've been wondering if there is some kind of pattern when it comes to Aikido'ists playing an instrument. I have the impression that we are quite a few bass-players, since that instrument requires a stable centered person not unlik Aikido.

Jun: Perhaps this would be a good subject for a poll options could be something like: classical piano, violin, classical guitar, electric guitar, electric bass, drums etc. etc.

Any thoughts on the subject ? anybody ?

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 04-19-2001, 08:21 AM   #11
Murf
Smile

Another bass player here,
yep seems to be a lot of us in Aikido, funny thing is I actually find my bass playing has benefited from my Aikido training ie my wrists are now a lot more supple which lets me really fly around the neck, play harder and faster for longer without getting (too) sore, I also find that I can stretch my fingers further as well (handy for playing modal jazz)....

Oh yeah and the biggest benefit is that wrist stretching exercises lower the risk of getting an rsi in later years.

peace

Niall
Old 04-19-2001, 10:14 AM   #12
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
I used to play the Bagpipes!! it was fun and i never really worried about hand injuries. the only reason I dont play now is that i cant find the time (yes i am lazy!) but oh welll....

Dallas Adolphsen