Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
erogers
Dojo: Springfield Jiu-Jitsu & MMA
United_States
Maj. Kevin Leavitt (MAC-P)

Sir,
I had posted a thread last March about MAC-P that you had contributed to quite extensively, and wanted to thank you again for your contribution. You had mentioned that I keep in touch, so after looking over the thread again, I thought I'd give you a little update.

I graduated BCT and AIT without incident, and have been back working at my unit for a while now. It was an experience that I hold very dear, and found to be a very transformative one at that. That said the MAC-P training that we did in BCT was strictly BJJ, and we did not progress much further than that. We did not have any MAC-P training in AIT, hell we barely had PT. I had to do that on my own.

My thought process when it comes to my goals in the martial arts has changed quite a bit over the past couple of years with the Army having quite a bit to do with that. I was once concerned on what was combat effective, or what would stand up in a real-life altercation. These forums alone are full of threads as to the effectiveness of aikido.

I train exclusively in BJJ now having chosen it over the hapkido and aikdio I was doing in the past for the aliveness of the training. I love learning a new set of techniques and then rotating through the entire class trying to perform these techniques against someone who's trying to keep you from it. I find now that I'm not that concerned with what's going to be effective on the street, but I train because I enjoy it. I know that if someone were to get rough I can effectively apply a given set of techniques against someone who has no BJJ training, because I perform them effectively on people who do have BJJ training regularly.

Having said that what I'm more concerned with these days is being "martially aware". I want to avoid situations that I feel could escalate to an altercation, or avoid areas that could be dangerous for me or my wife.

Again I wanted to thank you for your wisdom in the thread I posted last year as it has helped to shape how I go about my training and how I view the concept of "self-defense".

PFC. Evan Rogers
Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Maj. Kevin Leavitt (MAC-P)

PFC Rogers! Congratulations on your accompilshments. BCT and AIT is a huge thing for sure, if nothing else because of the boredom and lack of freedom you have!

Sounds like MAC-P has done good by you! I am glad you are sticking with your training!

It is good to see that the lessons we like to get across in the program are the ones that you say are most important. Warrior Ethos, mental toughness, and being more martially aware.

You can PM me on here if you want to talk, or email me as well at kevin@budo-warrior.com