Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-14-2002, 08:14 AM   #1
desiretolearn
Looking for Intensive Training - please help!

Hi

Does anyone know of any schools, anywhere in the world, where a student may attend daily or perhaps 'live in' say for 3 months, to learn Aikido?

Any pointers would be enormously appreciated.

Rog
Old 12-14-2002, 01:08 PM   #2
Melissa Fischer
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido/Seattle Holistic Center
What part of the world are you looking for? Seattle's Tenzan dojo has classes 7 days a week, several times a day starting at 6:30am . We train hard but there is no uchi deshi, live-in program set up. You'd have to room with one of the aikidoka around here. Bruce Bookman sensei trained directly with O Sensei's son and is the real thing. He does seminars monthly on things like boken, jo, freestyle and ukemi. We have a teacher's training program and yearly, hopefully twice yearly, week long intensives.

I know there are other uchi deshi programs around. You'll just have to do your homework. Also, there are many styles of aikido, which one are you looking for. Maybe your sensei can recommend something.

Good luck and stop by our dojo if you're ever in Seattle. We love visitors!

Melissa

www.tenzanaikido.com
Old 12-14-2002, 01:32 PM   #3
Kevin Wilbanks
My understanding is that you can do any or all of the above with Yamada at New York Aikikai. He has uchi deshi and I know someone who goes up and stays in the dojo for 2 weeks per year.
Old 12-14-2002, 01:44 PM   #4
Brian Crowley
Have you looked at Nippon Kan ? The book Aikido Sketch Diary describes their activities. It sounds like a great place. I have never visited.

http://www.nippon-kan.org/uchideshi/uchideshi.html
Old 12-14-2002, 05:11 PM   #5
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
Our No 2 in the UK has a full time dojo in Nottingham where you can train everyday.

see:

http://www.shudokan.org.uk/uk/clubs/...n_uk_clubs.htm

Osu!
Old 12-14-2002, 05:37 PM   #6
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
There are most excellent uchi deshi programs, and being a student under Yoshimitsu Yamada sensei's sphere of influence would be an excellent opportunity, but my personal experience says that even with the best intensive training, it take a long time to master many of the mind and body tricks that you will need to reach that high level of training you allude to.

What ever country you are in, there is some shihan near that has some type of program, and although that is an excellent way to get early experience, realize it is just part of a lifetime of learning, a piece of the puzzle to begin to understand martial arts, and your own attitude in training will be the defining action that gives you what you want by posing this question.

I say go for it.

I came to the dance too late to enjoy this opportunity. I have regrets of not going to Japan in the 1960s, but that is water under the bridge for me.

Seriously, check about. You will find many good teachers you should train with, or as one person suggested, go to a city such as Seattle, or NYC and start with a shihan, and travel about to experience all the teachers in the immediate area.

Do it before you have a wife and kids ... that tidbit is definitely a big go for it!
Old 12-14-2002, 07:51 PM   #7
desiretolearn
Thanks so much everyone, I will look into all your suggestions, and now knowing the right words 'uchi deshi' will definitely help me search the net more effectively.

Thanks again
Old 12-14-2002, 08:33 PM   #8
aikido_fudoshin
If you're into Yoshinkan Aikido then check out the senshusei course at the Yoshinkan Hombu dojo.

http://www.yoshinkan-aikido.org/iyaf_senshusei.htm
Old 12-15-2002, 12:11 AM   #9
Williamross77

Dojo: aikido of shreveport
United_States
YEA the hombu yoshinkan, that's a real macho program if the book about it as at all accurate. Life IS SHort, go for it. Is there an Uchi dechi program in Bolder? I thought I read that in Homa Sensei's book.

I probably dreamed it.

in Aiki
Agatsu!!
Old 12-15-2002, 12:17 AM   #10
desiretolearn
Yep, there is apparantly an Uchi Deshi program in Colorado, but only open to 18-28 year olds - not for wrinklies like me :-)

Unfortunately, I can't put in a whole year for the senshusei course just yet, as I do have a 6 year old daughter and wouldn't want to go that long without seeing her. 3 months is pretty much a maximum until she is much older.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:10 AM   #11
Liz Baron
Dojo: Bury Aikido Club
United Kingdom
You might want to search in France, Roger. I'm sure I passed through a website for a dojo that offered residential courses of varying lengths that was based in northern France. I'll have to have a look back through my files to find who/where though...

L

Aha.. try:
http://aikido-france.net/uchi/

I think that's the one I found before!

Last edited by Liz Baron : 12-16-2002 at 07:16 AM.

L

Windcheetah 176
"Handbuilt by Daleks..."
Old 12-16-2002, 07:13 AM   #12
desiretolearn
Yes thanks Liz

I found one in Rennes.

R