Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #126
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States
Re: Regarding James Smith

I agree with the thought process and it is indeed a fine line in the sand. It is similar to your job and how much control do they have over what you do once you leave the office. I remember a story a while back about a company that fired a married man when they found out he had an affair outside of the office.

In the different dojos I have trained in there have been different standards/codes of conduct on what is expected of you both in the dojo and outside the dojo. Personally, as a responsible, mostly mature, adult I have never had a problem with it. I always try to hold myself to a higher standard than anyone else would anyway so I don't have an issue with it.

If I enjoyed going out, getting drunk, and causing trouble would I have a different view if my dojo tried to control my social life? Perhaps so, but it is hard to objectively say because I can't even imagine myself doing that anymore.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:22 PM   #127
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

exactly what i am interested in exploring in this discussion, Michael... what level of control, and what aspects of your life do they have authority over? what if you were given the ultimatum go out and get drunk with us or else? yeah i know not likely... i just had to show that no matter what your personal preference, what if the dojo wants the opposite? do you bend, or stand your ground? with respect...

Edwin Neal

Old 02-10-2006, 04:45 PM   #128
Michael O'Brien
United_States

Hmmm; I think the answer is different for each person. The amount of control the dojo has over you is going to be the amount of control you are willing to give up in order for training. If a dojo says "None of our students are allowed to drink or smoke" then if you are a drinker or smoker you can give up the habits or train elsewhere.

The same logic could be applied though inside the dojo could it not? What if your dojo decided when you walked in to train tomorrow that they feel in order for you to effectively fight you need to know what it feels like to be hit full force? So they tell all of the students form a straight line and we are going to walk down the line and punch you all in the face as hard as we can?

Again, that is their decision on how they want to run their dojo and you have to decide if you want to accept their decisions and train under those conditions or not?

Not exactly the same I know but it does still lead to the ultimate question right? How much control are you willing to give up in order to train?

Old 02-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #129
Edwin Neal
United_States

yep its a sticky problem, which is probably why people get so empassioned in their discussion of it... on the one hand i am fully for dojo's right to do their own thing, but at the same time i kind of expect them to hold high standards for their own actions, and treat people fairly... as my mother loves to say "life isn't fair" to which i always reply "life is fair, people are not"... this is why i love a site like this that allows for discussion of these issues... with respect...

Edwin Neal

Old 02-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #130
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Michael O'Brien wrote:
Not exactly the same I know but it does still lead to the ultimate question right? How much control are you willing to give up in order to train?
The same amount of control i have about private lifes of Sensei and dojo mates.

I don't get into their lifes outside the dojo, they don't get into mine. We can talk about everything, be oppinionated about life, politics, religion and, of course our views about Aikido (that's what "beer-waza" time is for), and we share thougts and counsels about life, but i've never seen anybody giving up control of their life to the dojo for the "right" to train.

Of course, there has been people who quitted because they weren't "accepted" by the core group, and i've always expressed my thougts about the dojo lacking a clear policy of dealing with newbies (maybe it's because my background in HR management), because i've seen different ways to deal with them, based on aestethics, previous experience in martial arts or toughness. But iv'e never seen anyone discriminated for being an a**hole outside the dojo.

But every dojo is different, so we must accept "diversity", isn't it?
Old 02-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #131
James Smithe

Dojo: undisclosed location
United_States

I'm surprised so many of you could figure out the holes in Bedard's and Chuck's statements. I guess their not used to people pecking at them.
David Bedard this posts was a bad move. This post was totally unecessary I could of just left without you making a big deal out of it on the internet. First of all even if people don't say it they are going to think you are cult who tries to control every facet of your member's lives. Second you seem like people who have no concept of reality and think LaLa land is real. It's just an internet forum.
I'm glad I left, you guys think too highly of yourselves.
This entire statement was to save some type of image. You're like anorexics who look into the mirror and see fat all over their body when there really is none. No one was thinking about you. I haven't posted in a week like I told you I would so your precious image should have been safe.

About my previous behavior. I seriously didn't think there was anything wrong with the way I was typing on the forums. To me it was normal internet behavior. I should of lurked more so I could see how you guys acted. If I really thought I was acting devious. I would not have told them I was posting.

Quote:
I posted my original message because I thought it was the right thing to do at the time, maybe it was not but it has made for an interesting thread. I probably should have made it clear that it was not just what he posted to this forum that lead to our actions and for that I apologize. We welcome anyone who wants to practice with us.
So this thread was to stir up %@#$ then? Lies lies lies. You were pissed off that I was typing messages in Lala land. I proabably screwed up the way your favorote forum worked with my posting style so you were mad. People picked up on your lies and you just ignored them. Other people said they were proabably right. Sorry you're wrong there is no other action that led to my dismissal. More specifically it's more of a lack of action like the apology letter.

About this apology. I did write it but they already made their decision to kick me out. There was no "we're still working with him on the situation," it was over a long time ago. Writing it was a waste of my time. If they don't want me there I'm not going whine and say why they should take me back. But I will call them on their bull.

Those of you who completely agree with them. You really need to unplug.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #132
Edwin Neal
United_States

James, i think i'm still gonna call you that... why did you change your signature technique from irimi to ushiro-ate? and try not to poke people here too hard... some have thin skins... i think you proved your point... don't rub everyones face in it...

Edwin Neal

Old 02-10-2006, 09:29 PM   #133
James Smithe

United_States

I have no idea what a irimi-nage is. So I changed it to ushiro-ate. Okay I'll really try to adjust to Aikiweb.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:39 PM   #134
Edwin Neal
United_States

irimi nage is kind of a clothesline like seagal uses in his movies... i think you will have a rough time here for a while... just try to be nice... read the article i linked to in one of my previous posts and see what you think... have you found another dojo or are you still looking?

Edwin Neal

Old 02-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #135
Edwin Neal
United_States

and when you finish that one try this one...

http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/pschweer/2005_05.html

Edwin Neal

Old 02-12-2006, 07:39 AM   #136
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

'I have no idea what a irimi-nage is'

Till you find another dojo, if your interested in learning to recognise the basic techniques then I would recommend you get a good book. Although theres a wealth of information here on aikiweb, and to be honest, with the net at your disposal if you went and typed 'Iriminage' into google and looked at images and then descriptions, im sure you'd find out plenty.

A book I found very helpful at an early stage was (and still do): Total Aikido by Gozo Shioda. You can get it off Amazon if you want. Its Yoshinkan style, but I didnt find this to be much of a problem, the techniques are very similar, just some are named differently.

Of course, there is no substitue for the real deal!

Hope that helps.

Nick

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:29 AM   #137
roosvelt
Canada

Quote:
Mario Jones wrote:

First of all even if people don't say it they are going to think you are cult who tries to control every facet of your member's lives. Second you seem like people who have no concept of reality and think LaLa land is real. It's just an internet forum.
I'm glad I left, you guys think too highly of yourselves.
Thanks, James for showing your true color once again.

Quote:
This entire statement was to save some type of image. You're like anorexics who look into the mirror and see fat all over their body when there really is none. No one was thinking about you. I haven't posted in a week like I told you I would so your precious image should have been safe.
At least you didn't compare it to KKK, which is a cut above some poeple here who's supporting you.

Quote:

About this apology. I did write it but they already made their decision to kick me out.
Are you sure your apology was sincere?

Good luck with you. I don't think Aikido is right sport for you.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #138
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Roosvelt Freeman wrote:
Good luck with you. I don't think Aikido is right sport for you.
I dunno. Sounds like he could get more out of it than most.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 02-13-2006, 12:49 PM   #139
Edwin Neal
United_States

Roosvelt said, "At least you didn't compare it to KKK, which is a cut above some poeple here who's supporting you."

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT I DID NOT COMPARE ANY DOJO/ORGANIZATION TO THE KKK!!!

here is my post that you are erroneously referring to... show me where i compared them...

"don't get your panties in a hitch there Roosvelt... i never implied any of the things you tried to beat me up with... privilege does NOT give carte blanche to dictate, and require certain concessions of personal freedom and privacy... i am sure the KKK considers it a privilege, not a right to be a member of their organization... i just don't want to do the kind of things they require to be privileged... "free loaders" ??? hey lets be civil and not stoop to name calling... "

Edwin Neal

Old 02-14-2006, 08:52 AM   #140
James Smithe

United_States

Freeman you read the entire forum right? Then you know other people said or suggested the same thing. I was just confirming it.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:11 AM   #141
James Smithe

United_States

Oops I mean thread not forums. Does edit have a time limit or something.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #142
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Mario Jones wrote:
I'
About my previous behavior. I seriously didn't think there was anything wrong with the way I was typing on the forums. To me it was normal internet behavior. I should of lurked more so I could see how you guys acted. If I really thought I was acting devious. I would not have told them I was posting.
Ancient internet proverb: Lurk before you leap.

What's normal here isn't normal on other boards and vice versa. For example, no other board I've ever posted on has ever required or even encouraged the use of my real name. But that's the way things work here. When in Rome do as the Romans, etc.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #143
Michael O'Brien
United_States

Quote:
Rebecca Montange wrote:
When in Rome do as the Romans, etc.
WAIT A MINUTE!

NOW WE'RE GONNA HAVE ROMANS DOING AIKIDO AS WELL?

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Just kidding everybody.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:48 PM   #144
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

Quote:
Rebecca Montange wrote:
Ancient internet proverb: Lurk before you leap.

What's normal here isn't normal on other boards and vice versa. For example, no other board I've ever posted on has ever required or even encouraged the use of my real name. But that's the way things work here. When in Rome do as the Romans, etc.

I don't think David B. was out to set the norm for the entire board - he was only representing his dojo's understanding of such things.

I, for one, have no problem with someone not using their "real" name - since, for one thing, I have no idea who I am talking to anyways, regardless if their name is "Jon Smith" or "Master Jammer II." For me, this is a board of ideas not of personalities and certainly then this board is not a dojo in my understanding.

Additionally, I don't even know (not really) what a person means when they say, "I do Aikido" or "I train," etc. Chances are, in my book, as I understand these things myself, they don't do Aikido and they don't train. In short, in my opinion, it's crazy to opt for integrity here when there can not only be no proof but also no pudding (not under normal usage).

In my mind, it's crazy to think that one will do away with the ignorance and bring forth more accountability simply because one uses his/her real name. In my opinion, the Internet thrives because it takes places outside of personalities, beyond the person, outside of the limitations of a body (i.e. a person can only be in one space, has a limited sphere of influence, etc.). It's this nature, this that makes the Internet work, that so blurs the line between anonymity and personal identity.

In the real world, the line between anonymity and personal identity is very tangible - it makes sense then to have a name and to use it, etc. But in the cyberworld, one name is pretty much as good as any other. For example, where was accountability in the case I mentioned earlier: a person, with a real name, having a real dojo, with a real website, had no problem saying to me, "You got to train to understand X," even though his/her dojo offered training only three hours a week and the lot of the students of the dojo had bodies that looked like they trained only one or two of those hours per week! If accountability could so easily be attached to a real name in the cyberworld - like it can in the real world - that person would have never threw his/her three hours of training in my face (when we do our three hours of training by noon in one day). But it's easy to do that, and will always be easy to do that, when all you have in front of you is a computer and not a real person.

The fact is that there will always be a gap between accountability and one's name on the Internet (at least until there is some huge leap in technology). With the current technology, if you want a measure of some real accountability, why don't we ask everyone who is going to comment to post some video of their practice - now that would be more like it! Then we'd really know who's who and what's what and "Jon Smith" just won't be that man or woman with an opinion (which anyone can have) anymore.

But this is just my opinion - and it is different from Dave B.'s and others that think that way - this though I use my real name and have video of my practice available for viewing.

dmv

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #145
Michael O'Brien
United_States

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
But this is just my opinion - and it is different from Dave B.'s and others that think that way - this though I use my real name and have video of my practice available for viewing.
dmv
Or at least video of someone you claim is you.

P.S. I have greatly enjoyed those videos and hope to see more.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #146
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

I was referring to how Mario/James thought his somewhat abrasive posting style around here was normal. He could have spared himself some pain and suffering if he'd lurked a few days and gotten a feel for what this corner of the net finds acceptable. Good points though. However, from what I've seen on other boards, those that are full of it usually end up outing themselves. It may take time, but it happens.

I've always seen screen names as a way to protect myself on the net, not as a license to kill so to speak. Not so much from the people I'm posting with, but the lurkers who may think my name looks good on their credit card or something. Needless to say, I was a wee bit nervous about joining AikiWeb, and if at some point I get too sketched out by this I may even leave AikiWeb.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:05 PM   #147
Edwin Neal
United_States

i think i know that all of you are fake and just the governments attempts to confuse and distract me while they illegally monitor my life... but i'm on to you and them!!! it's not paranoia if they really are after you...

Edwin Neal

Old 02-15-2006, 02:51 AM   #148
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

Quote:
Michael O'Brien wrote:
Or at least video of someone you claim is you.

P.S. I have greatly enjoyed those videos and hope to see more.

My point exactly - now please call me Master Jammer II.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:13 AM   #149
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Teh 1nt3r3t 15 4 l33t 5p3ak! @nd p53ud0nym5!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #150
aikidodragon
Dojo: North West Arkansas Aikido
United_States

High nick,
could we go back to speaking standerd English? Or at least send me a cheet sheet for what ever you're speaking.

:kiAikido is just origami with people.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!