Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
San Francisco Token Kai 2010

Just got home. Was up in San Francisco last weekend for the San Francisco Token Kai.

Saw some amazing things. 800 year old "samurai" swords in perfect condition. Wonderful mounts. Wonderful fittings.

Janet Rosen dropped by with a friend. I didn't have much time to talk as by the end of the day Saturday I was pretty much toast and had promised some people to go out to dinner (for a pretty amazing sushi dinner I must admit).

There were a few tables with older Aikido books too.

I always find it a shame more people who train with sword like objects don't get more into the swords themselves. The real deal. The modern made replicas have their place, but to see things with history is just amazing to me. Wish more folk would come and get into these things.

I came home with a few really interesting things. One was an unfinished katana made by a Komiya school smith using nails scavenged from the old Noma Dojo in Japan. That's going to be a special blade for someone.

I also managed to bring home something I never would have guessed existed. Ono Yoshimitsu is one of the most famous japanese swordsmiths alive today. Quick youtube video of him here... . I've been lucky enough to have sold a few swords for Ono Yoshimitsu. His Yamatorige swords command some of the highest prices in the world for a modern sword. I.e., think over 50K USD. A Yamatorige by Ono Yoshimitsu was one of the highlights of a swordshow held at the Asian Pacific Museum in Pasadena a number of years ago. And that show was really devoted to the wonderful work of Yoshindo Yoshihara and his student. Anyway, I came home with something to put on our site on consignment for the owner -- a sword made by Ono Yoshimitsu for a friend to use for iai practice. It is in a simpler style but when you look closely into the sword itself you can see the incredible skill of the smith in both the forging and heat treatment. I was stunned to pop off the handle and see his signature -- Yoshimitsu saku. An incredible sword for martial arts practice in full polish and mounts. Not every day I get to handle something so nifty.

Anyway, I had a blast. And I encourage all you martial arts fiends who use things that are sword like to someday spend a little time feeling what the real deal is really about.

And now to unpack and start the laundry...

Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: San Francisco Token Kai 2010

Keith, you were so clearly in full "show mode" by the time we showed up in the late afternoon that Jo & figured we'd best not interrupt your being "on" by asking if you wanted to take a coffee break with us! Thank you so much for sharing a couple of of your pieces w/ us and explaining, in response to my question, why and how rayskin is used.
The show was overwhelmingly wonderful but I must say my very favorite thing was the tiny pair of horses on your table.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

One of these years, my husband and I are going to have to take a weekend to go to Cali and see this show! Sounds extraordinary.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Sorry Ash, but Cali is in Columbia. Those of us who are natives refer to the place as California. You can see some great knife fighting in Cali though and now and again you can even see a pretty good gunfight.......or was that a city in the East Bay?

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 08-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Those of us who are natives refer to the place as California.
Odd that you say that because I have a few friends from there and they never refer to it as California...

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
Janet Rosen

The only person I know in the entire state, in which I've lived since 1974, who calls it "Cali" is an exceedingly weird relative of mine. Need I add he's also the only person I have ever met who resides anywhere in the Bay Area who calls where he lives "Frisco".
To return to the topic at hand.... the sword show is well worth a road trip through California, into the San Francisco Bay Area :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Cool Re: San Francisco Token Kai 2010

Yeah, The City, known to outsiders as San Francisco, holds a wonderful sword show in Burlingame. The lectures feature some knowledgeable folks and the opportunity to closely look at antique blades is a great experience. Those attending will get a chance to see things they've only read about. For example, one year I saw a full saddle with stirrups on display from the 16th century.

I have friends who call it "Cali" and "Frisco" too, but they're all carpetbaggers and just don't know any better. Poor devils, they all seem to hail from New York and New Jersey.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."