Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #51
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States
Re: Top Ten Reasons you STAY with Aikido

...I no longer know the way OUT of Aikido, short of dying. (And that's not a final answer, either.)

I know that, even if I reach another point in my life where I'm not actively being thrown or throwing people around in a dojo, I will still be doing Ai-Ki-Do. It's a way I've long since committed to, and one I am incapable of walking away from. It dosn't require a physical attack to manifest it -- it is always there, within me.

Plus all of the neat stuff the other folks have said rings a fine tone in my soul, too.

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 12-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #52
Rigel Keffer
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
United_States

Seeing this old thread listed reminded me of last Saturday night (12/9). We had a seminar that day. We were all wonderfully sore and bruised up making, "eech, oooch, ouch, ahhh" sounds when we stood, sat, or walked, and our minds were all tangled up trying to make sense of the gazillion cool things we'd been exposed to that day. And, of course, we had to discuss at length all that cool stuff we'd tried. A group of us met up at a Mexican restaurant for dinner (we'd done Vietnamese food for lunch).

A lot of you are going to be able to easily conjure up what I'm describing: 3 or 4 restaurant tables pulled together to make one long table; the visiting seminar instructor with some ridiculously high dan rank who can do all that cool I-barely-moved-and-the-big-guy-flew-across-the-mats O-Sensei looking stuff who incidently has a great sense of humor and is really just a big kid (in the good way); my instructor whom I grow fonder of each week; a group of quirky, enthusiastic, kind, open, compassionate, really goofy aikidoka and a couple of their significant others; an ample supply of beer in front of some of the aikidoka; and soooo many stories, sooooo much loud laughter, sooooooo much security and love and trust and joy and humor and warmth and caring and fun....

I sat at that table and felt happier than I can remember feeling for a very long time. I felt privileged. All of the sudden, it felt like my heart was trying to swell beyond my ribcage. I had to blink really hard a few times and look down at my hands to keep from crying. In my mind, I was praying, "Thank you, God. Thank you for these people, this family. Thank you, God, for bringing me this heppiness and love inspite of the divorce. There's so much caring and trust here. This has been a GREAT day. I love these people so much. I truly love them. Thank you, God."
Old 12-18-2006, 01:10 AM   #53
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

wow rigel, great post

as to me... i dont know
i just know im an aikidoka now its like there's no choice
i mean i know i could quit but it sounds riddiculous

i'm 4º kyu since yesterday
Old 12-18-2006, 03:33 AM   #54
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lucy Smith wrote:
i'm 4º kyu since yesterday
Congratulations Lucy!

Great post Rigel

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #55
Mike Galante
Dojo: Aikido of North Jersey
United_States

Because after 26 years off the mat it seems like I never left (aches and pains aside).
True love never dies.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #56
Thom Hansen
Dojo: Aikido Yuishinkai Cleveland Dojo
Australia

I started Aikido 23 years ago with the thought "This will do till something better comes along" errr nothing better has come along yet

Also the people in Aikido have become a family for me.

Life is a gem .. Treasure every minute
Old 12-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #57
Marianne Dauphin
Dojo: Aikido New Orleans
United_States

Even though I've started very recently, I've realized the calming effect that it has.

To make a long story short, it's been a horrible week. I had food poisoning on Tuesday, and I had my first car accident yesterday. I was incredibly shaken, but I went to class. When I was off the mat and changing back into street clothes, I realized that my hands weren't shaking anymore.

And the people are great! I'm still working on breaking the ice (I'm incredibly shy), I'm realizing what circle I'm getting myself into. And for one of the first few times in my life, I feel like I belong.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #58
Princess Rose

Dojo: Aikido of Northern CO
United_States

Quote:
Rigel Keffer wrote:
I sat at that table and felt happier than I can remember feeling for a very long time. I felt privileged. All of the sudden, it felt like my heart was trying to swell beyond my ribcage.
I feel the same way. There is something about the people that makes me stay. Something about Phill's smile every time he launches me into koshi, something about Dave's sows and bucks joke that he's been telling since before I was born, something about Liz's warm compassion and desire to learn and teach… there's something about everyone in the dojo that's so unique and wonderful. And now I've moved about 45 min from my old dojo for college. I've found a great new Aikido family and love it here but I still have to go back to my home dojo whenever I can. The funny thing is that, although the last time I saw Dave I told him if I hear his same old joke again I'm going to explode, the truth is that if I don't hear him tell the joke again I will also explode. These people are truly amazing, and while it sounds really nerdy, I'd much rather go to an Aikido seminar and then out to dinner to discuss what we learned than go out with my friends that are my age any day.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #59
Princess Rose

United_States

Ok so I'm stuck in my dorm because we are all snowed in and I've been bundled up reading The Way of Aikido by George Leonard and I found a great quote. It is about his experience with Aikido as a beginner and his feelings as he watched old video footage of O sensei with his Sensei.

"And I know I can never match the mastery that flickers on the small screen before me. But I will keep on practicing, not for prowess in self-defense, not for rank or prestige, not even for the wonderful and life-changing lesions that flow from this art. I will practice aikido for the sheer, unmitigated beauty of it."
Old 12-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #60
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Rosemary Wulf wrote:
Ok so I'm stuck in my dorm because we are all snowed in and I've been bundled up reading The Way of Aikido by George Leonard and I found a great quote. It is about his experience with Aikido as a beginner and his feelings as he watched old video footage of O sensei with his Sensei.

"And I know I can never match the mastery that flickers on the small screen before me. But I will keep on practicing, not for prowess in self-defense, not for rank or prestige, not even for the wonderful and life-changing lesions that flow from this art. I will practice aikido for the sheer, unmitigated beauty of it."
That's a neat book. I like his stories about using aikido when he was heckled during public speaking. Mind opening stuff.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 12-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #61
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Because I have three teenage daughters. Need I say anymore?
Old 12-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #62
Princess Rose

United_States

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote:
Because I have three teenage daughters. Need I say anymore?
Because I am a teenaged daughter and needed to get away from my parents.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:21 AM   #63
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom

i started aikido to learn how to turn my brother's technique against him (i think he believes little sister to be a direct translation from perfect uke) but i stayed because of the people, you chat and laugh and have fun while working out and learning to defend yourself which for me is important simply because of the bullying i suffered most of my young life, but also aikido (and a few certain aikidoka) has/have gotten me through some rough times, the one time i'll always remember was the day of my nana's funeral, we got home with enough time for me to grab my bag and go to aikido if i wanted, i wasn't sure i wanted to but i couldn't be in the house, i got to training and one of my friends there took one look at me and told me "you don't have to train if you don't want to, you can just watch" but i wanted to train, so he kindly, gently and caringly beat me to a pulp, and showed me the most effective ways to beat him and others to a pulp, then took me for beerwaza. i was still upset but i felt ok afterwards, something like that makes you want to stay, i only wish i'd had aikido, and that network of friends a few years previously, maybe aikido is what kept me sane at the time, and the lack of aikido is why i got so messed up a few years previously.

but all in all, top ten reasons to stay with aikido, the people, the people, the people, the people, the people, the people, the people, the people, the people and the people.

(oh yea, and from my first session i decreed that i wouldn't stop till i had hakama, and when i get them i swear i'll wear them for a week)
Old 01-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #64
mut

Dojo: south hetton (Dynamic aikido Nocquet )
United Kingdom

ive practiced, ninjutsu, for 10 years on and off, ive done thai boxing, judo, and a little win chun, but still i felt a deep hatred inside my heart for humanity and most religions, since doing aikido training 5 days a week at the dojo and the other 2 days at home workin on sumit, i mellowed a little, but still was a little aggressive in my technique, then after receiving my first dan and putting on the mighty black skirt( which makes me feel a little more balanced)in technique and movement( of course not mentally you fools)lol...i need suspenders for that.,lol....ive come to find that aikido is my spiritual medicine( and yes ive copyrighted the name for a book title),it heals all ills, my black heart is becoming clearer by the day.now all i have to do is learn to spell, not like as in cast a spell i know that allready,having satan for a father it just came natural.anyhow aikido is fantastic and will always be, it truley is the art of love...............what....do you want me crucified for my profanitys............lol....hope you enjoyed reading this,and i hope its shed a ray of light on to those who may need it.....thanyou and goodnight,
Old 01-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #65
mut

United Kingdom

anyway what i was tryin to say was i know longer hate the world its a beautiful place,and we are all different and must be tolerant of each others ways,we must progress as humans so we can learn to live in harmony with nature and develop a love and protective bond for all of satans little creations,but we must first heal our main disease( ignorance) and learn to accept......wow god dam im insane.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #66
Michael Meister
Dojo: South Hetton
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lee Southward wrote:
wow god dam im insane.
I cannot argue with that, nor that you are plainely an Aikido addict. With other words, the reason we continue with Aikiod, apart from the people, the fun, the beerwaza, the joy of giving and receiving pain, is the simple fact that stopping would mean cold turkey...
Old 01-21-2007, 01:30 PM   #67
Michael Meister
United Kingdom

I did forget to say: HUMPFENSTUFEN!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:40 AM   #68
Selnith
United Kingdom

you may be insane Mut but we love you anyways, or i do at least, maybe that's coz i'm insane too, that makes sense, shhh don't tell anyone
Old 01-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #69
Amanda
Dojo: Exeter Ki Aikido
United Kingdom

Because it's fun
Old 01-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #70
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Amanda Lindsay wrote:
Because it's fun
Well, yeah, of course.

All the other reasons, really, are just variations on the theme.

Aren't they?

Old 01-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #71
Michael Meister
United Kingdom

Quote:
Krystyna McGurk wrote:
coz i'm insane too, that makes sense, shhh don't tell anyone
I will not argue with that either. Humpfenstufen!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #72
mut

United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Meister wrote:
HUMPFENSTUFEN , alone is a good enough reason to do aikido.ha see now we have most people confused, and i wont argue with that either,
Old 02-01-2007, 06:36 AM   #73
Kampfussel
Dojo: Cleadon Village
England

Training with German instructors who tell the class to screw themselves into the mat whilst explaining the execution of a breath throw. All the dan grades laugh, all the kyu grades don't know where to put themselves. lol... HUMPFENSTUFEN forever
Old 02-01-2007, 10:12 AM   #74
Selnith
United Kingdom

because somehow it always provides a link home
checked out a new dojo on monday night, one of the dan grades there is from the other side of the river from my home, lives in the town, works a bit further south of where i am now and trains here
small world of addicts
Old 02-02-2007, 02:48 AM   #75
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Quote:
Michael Meister wrote:
Sorry off topic, Michael.

I just don't understand the phrase HUMPFENSTUFEN

It looks German, but is not really common in my environment.

Google and Yahoo only refer to aikido web pages. So it could be aikido related. but then I found that the only source is Michael Meister - namely a masterly aikidoka (i.e. by name, I do not know your experience).

It sounds related to beer or wine, but I thought the best solution is to ask the source itself.

Could you please help me out of my ignorance and give me some more info about what 'Humpfenstufen' means?

Many thanks

Dirk