Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-24-2002, 05:31 PM   #1
Dangus
Question Online Aikido practice kata descriptions?

I would like to find some online source of information explaining various practice kata, both in how they are done and what purpose they serve. A source with good images would be nice. Until I can find a dojo within 50 miles of here, or until I get more money, I'm going to have to start doing at least some practice on my own. It was suggested in another thread that I study the bokken, as it is the most easily converted to individual practice of all the Aikido practices. Is Kendo a good source on this, or do the practices there vary too much from that of Aikido?

Thanks in advance for any help.

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who keep their's" -Ben Franklin
Old 07-24-2002, 06:29 PM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
The problem is that you need a partner that can take the hit or at least a sensei that can ensure a safe practice environment.

I personally travel 150 km one way just to train in a particular dojo each week.

I'll give you a kata series but please don't try this on your little brother.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/shodokan/...n/kihon_e.html

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 07-25-2002, 01:02 AM   #3
Dangus
haha I have no little brother, so no worries

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who keep their's" -Ben Franklin
Old 07-25-2002, 09:24 AM   #4
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada
Hi Dangus,

I wasn't thinking about kata when I made the suggestion. Just suburi (repeated strikes). Saito Sensei always said that practicing suburi helps to stabalize the hips and helps you to learn to relax and use your center. You could use this forum to elicit basic tips for swinging the bokken and then try to refine your technique over time. Doing a few hundred (or even 1000) a day really makes a difference over a few weeks or months.

Conrad
Old 07-25-2002, 09:32 AM   #5
akiy

Quote:
Conrad Gustafson (Conrad Gus) wrote:
Doing a few hundred (or even 1000) a day really makes a difference over a few weeks or months.
I believe that even in something done "solo" as suburi (or perhaps "especially" rather than "even"), you should have a qualified instructor, as I believe it's better to do 10 "corrent" suburi than 1000 "incorrect" ones...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-25-2002, 11:05 AM   #6
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada
Excellent point Jun.

Although I have to say that despite a number of years in Aikido and the input of an excellent Sensei (or three) I still cannot do 10 "correct" suburi.

I can't do ikkyo "correctly" either, but I keep practicing in the hopes that I will keep getting better.

You're right though that it is easy to fall into the mistake of forcing your way through 500 suburi while making fundamental mistakes. My feeling is that if one concentrates on relaxing and keeping one's center, improvements can be made over time.

Having said that, I agree that there is no substitute for a good teacher. I'm lucky to have one and I hope something works out for you Dangus.

Conrad
Old 07-25-2002, 01:03 PM   #7
Dangus
Thanks for the input guys. I definitely want to get a teacher ASAP, but the closest teachers are either Des Moines or Iowa City, both of which are about 100 miles from here. There MAY be a dojo in Cedar Rapids from info I've just received here recently, but I'm still looking into that. Regardless, that's still 65-70 miles from here even if it's at the North end of CR. Basically I'm extremely poor, so it'll be a while. I don't suppose it would hurt to get at least some of the basic philosophy and physical practices started now though. Then later, when I find a teacher, I'll at least be a little better equipped for it.