Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-02-2004, 11:55 PM   #1
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States
"Large attacks" and Simultaneity

I posted this up on a different message board; thought I'd ask you guys as well. For context with respect to the experience level mentioned, whatever the difference may be, the style of aikido I study begins at 9th/8th kyu, so I've taken a few tests. (Might be 4th; waiting for results.)

A couple questions, probably beyond my level, but which I am considering:

1) How does one, generally speaking, blend with very 'large area' attacks that cut through a lot of space? Maybe a large TKD crescent kick, or a kesa cut. I've considered the move back/move forward 'wave' motion, but wonder if there's a better way. I have often heard that with a large, circular attack, it is best to make a "counter-spiral" and blend into the space around which the attack moves...get inside the circe, as it were. This seems very hard to do in practice, and seems to invite further strikes. I guess if you entered really ferociously and broke uke's balance right off the bat, it'd work...
Stopping before it starts (as with many yokomenuchi techniques) could do it, I guess, but that seems to require a very fine sensitivity to the other person's movement. (Either "predicting" it in time to register it as a 'big attack' that needs to be stopped quickly, or knowing the movement's "pattern" so as to determine when exactly it's "weak".)

2) One thing I've been considering lately is the idea of replacing "attack-->blend-->technique" with a more "attack and blend --> technique" feel. That is, rather than having a gap between seeing the attack, moving to evade, catching or whatever, applying a technique, making it more "one-step". This is a very mental thing, it would seem. Any exercises? Particular techniques?

And now to go to sleep, so I can get up tomorrow and work on ikkajo. ^_- I know, kihon, kihon...especially for a 5th kyu. Still, I believe in starting to work advanced principles out in the back of my mind well before I "arrive" at them.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
Goetz Taubert
ad 2)

Your question seems to be adressing to the difference between reaction based styles and calling styles. It seems you're thinking about overcoming/reducing the gap, that naturally comes up in reaction based styles.

"Calling" style means that ukes attack is initiated and determined by tori. So toris calling movement/posture starts ukes "attack", which gets immediately unbalanced. In this approach, no gap emerges.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:17 PM   #3
Goetz Taubert
ad 1) Concerning pure kicks there are not so much explicit techniques in aikido dealing with it. To my knowledge this is because a kick is a more destabilized technique (only one foot left on the floor) and is thought "inferior" to hand technique in stability and speed. High kicks even more. On a systema (russian special forces) forum I read, that they don't apply high kicks, because they are inferior concerning effectivity to low kicks.

Some aikido technique deals partially with a kick (after grabbing both hands) i.e. tenchi nage.

So if the asumption was correct, that kicks are somewhat inferior (slower, less stable) there is the possibility to apply an atemi. Especially on high kicks a karateka has shown me a technique, where he dived done under a high kick directly and applied an atemi to the genitals.

A forward kick could be prolonged upward to get the attacker unbalanced.

A kesa (giri) cut (sword) from a skilled attacker can't be stopped (in my opinion) empty handed. The irimi direction is locked by the blades way, stepping back is countered easily by the turned blade going upward-forward again. Turning (spiraling) in is countered easily by a 180 degree turn of the attacker leading the blade upwards at the same time if it's not cut down in the beginning.

So here again I see no possibility than "calling style" that is beeing able to make the attacker bow forward with his sword unwillingly. But that's a very skilled level of practice.