Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
tim evans
United_States
tainohenko entry

Off a tsuki punch grabbing underside of gi sleeve.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: tainohenko entry

Quote:
Tim Evans wrote: View Post
Hi Tim,
Expand more on what you are seeking advice on.Generally speaking I would not grab the sleeve of a gi underside.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
tim evans
United_States

Once you turn uke do you momentarily switch your grip or still hold on to sleave
Old 12-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
lbb
United_States

Quote:
That's not a question.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Don't switch the grip. Hold on. Depending on the technique that you want to do, you will either apply the technique with the hand that is doing the grabbing, or, use the free hand. Think of either applying a sankyo [same hand] or going to nikyo [free hand].

Also, don't grab the sleeve. This will become a bad habit. Instead grab the forearm. Not everyone wears sleeves in the summertime.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
Don't switch the grip. Hold on. Depending on the technique that you want to do, you will either apply the technique with the hand that is doing the grabbing, or, use the free hand. Think of either applying a sankyo [same hand] or going to nikyo [free hand].

Also, don't grab the sleeve. This will become a bad habit. Instead grab the forearm. Not everyone wears sleeves in the summertime.
Thanks mike for the response I have been experimenting with this and your right grabbing the sleave is bad
Old 12-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
raul rodrigo
Philippines

A full-on grab also creates difficulties because your grip tightens and your own flow is constricted. You can't transition to another waza as smoothly. I prefer to hook the inside of the elbow with my last two fingers and turn uke, and then slide along the arm to the wrist as I transition to sankyo or kaiten.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
RED
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
That's not a question.
No, but it is good imagery.

MM
Old 12-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote: View Post
A full-on grab also creates difficulties because your grip tightens and your own flow is constricted. You can't transition to another waza as smoothly. I prefer to hook the inside of the elbow with my last two fingers and turn uke, and then slide along the arm to the wrist as I transition to sankyo or kaiten.
I will try that raul thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote: View Post
+1. once you train yourself to have a death grip, it'll be hard to let go. learn the mmovement and postitioning so its precise. then you can figure out if you want to do sankyo or kaiten nage or whatever.

practice hard
Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #11
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
+1. once you train yourself to have a death grip, it'll be hard to let go. learn the mmovement and postitioning so its precise. then you can figure out if you want to do sankyo or kaiten nage or whatever.
Thanks jerome if you come down for yamadas seminar maybe we can try this technique after senseis seminar of course
Old 12-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #12
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:

Thanks jerome if you come down for yamadas seminar maybe we can try this technique after senseis seminar of course
hahahaha yeah we can just break it out when sensei's lookin the other way

see you guys in a couple months!

practice hard
Old 12-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Depends on what you want to do. If the reason Uke is thrusting at you is that he is armed, then grabbing in whatever method you can is good. The Aikido syllabus is large, you can do many techniques from any common armed position (hand over/under grabbing top/bottom).

If the tsuki is an unarmed punch, the hand is likely on its way back to uke's body soon after it is thrown, in that case, footwork and positioning take the front seat to any kind of grab.

If the attack is an armed jabbing motion, like the "sewing machine" (not tsuki). Don't use this kind of entry.

Last edited by ChrisHein : 12-24-2010 at 12:11 PM.