Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
Shane Goodrich
United_States
Basic Internal training exercises?

I recently had the opportunity to meet with Dan Harden(last Wednesday), I had no idea who he was, though I now realize he is quite the name in the internal martial arts world. On the previous Monday I work with some of his students doing 2 person exercises and did a bit more of those with Dan. And I was very impressed.

Unfortunately I did not learn any solo stuff. And it was an unusual chance for me to even meet with his students, let alone Dan himself. And it may be some time before I meet with those students again and I may never meet Dan again.
So I need some help with internal solo exercises, I've search a bit on this forum but did not come across what I was looking for, either the stuff was too advanced or used lots of terms I was not familiar with.

Can any one direct me to some videos, books or other information regarding solo training for the beginner with no prior internal art experience(unless you count the 5 hours or so last week).

Anything(legit) would be better than nothing, thanks.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
bob_stra
Australia
Re: Basic Internal training exercises?

Sure; as a rough start to some easy to source material, here's some stuff specifically -

http://www.aunkai.net/eng/shop/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzyPw-uJqw8

http://www.iay.org.uk/internal-strength/

You're probably /eventually going to have to involve yourself somewhat deeper than an acquaintance with 'exercises', as 'all buses may be motor vehicles, but not all motor vehicles are buses'.

It may be best to communicate with Dan specifically, seeing you're interested in how Dan does things. FWIW
Old 01-05-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
jss
Netherlands

Quote:
Shane Goodrich wrote: View Post
The legitimacy does not come from which exercises you do, but from how you do them, so I'd advice you to try go get Dan or one of his students to show you the solo exercise they do. In the mean time, try to relate the solo exercises you find to the partner exercises you did. It will increase your chances of doing them correctly.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
DH
United_States

Quote:
Shane Goodrich wrote: View Post
I recently had the opportunity to meet with Dan Harden(last Wednesday), I had no idea who he was, though I now realize he is quite the name in the internal martial arts world. On the previous Monday I work with some of his students doing 2 person exercises and did a bit more of those with Dan. And I was very impressed.

Unfortunately I did not learn any solo stuff. And it was an unusual chance for me to even meet with his students, let alone Dan himself. And it may be some time before I meet with those students again and I may never meet Dan again.
So I need some help with internal solo exercises, I've search a bit on this forum but did not come across what I was looking for, either the stuff was too advanced or used lots of terms I was not familiar with.

Can any one direct me to some videos, books or other information regarding solo training for the beginner with no prior internal art experience(unless you count the 5 hours or so last week).

Hello Shane
You were the big guy with all the questions right? And hey, I'm a nobody in the Martial Arts world, internal or otherwise. Glad you had a good time, bud. Yes the circumstances were a bit unusual weren't they?
If you're really interested in how I did what I did to you guys that night; asking about it here won't get you very far. I would approach your teacher or the owner of that dojo about meeting and training with me again.
One caution that those individuals already know-that addresses some of your observations: I don't really "do" seminars. I was only there helping out some MMA / karate / Aikido teachers who are friends of mine and that's all. You might want to talk with them.
Oh...I had fun too-how's that leg!
Dan

Last edited by DH : 01-05-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
Shane Goodrich
United_States
Wink Re: Basic Internal training exercises?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hello Shane
You were the big guy with all the questions right? And hey, I'm a nobody in the Martial Arts world, internal or otherwise. Glad you had a good time, bud. Yes the circumstances were a bit unusual weren't they?
If you're really interested in how I did what I did to you guys that night; asking about it here won't get you very far. I would approach your teacher or the owner of that dojo about meeting and training with me again.
One caution that those individuals already know-that addresses some of your observations: I don't really "do" seminars. I was only there helping out some MMA / karate / Aikido teachers who are friends of mine and that's all. You might want to talk with them.
Oh...I had fun too-how's that leg!
Dan
Hi, I sent you a pm. And no I was not that big guy I was that tall guy , people that are half a foot shorter than me, weigh more and are stronger! And yes I did ask lots of questions, I always ask lots of question, I thirst for information.

As for my leg it hurt like hell when I tried to bend it for two days! I need to learn that deflection move(and just condition my body to take blows I done guess) and my tongue hurt from when I bit it, the brutality of your methods oh my .
I thought you told me you did not train newbies like me? I would really like to train with you again but I don't have a car I just got lucky that the place were Keith(my teacher) runs his classes were closed for the week, so Don(who is Keiths teacher) invited him to bring his adult class to that Karate place. I came along and met you and now I wish to add Internal training to my martial arts practice.
I recall you telling me the importance of solo training and how people were able to make gains with only 3 or 4 training sessions with you along with regular practice of the solo exercises.
Thanks for the help you gave me, hopefully I can further my study of internal arts.

Last edited by Shane Goodrich : 01-05-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
Shane Goodrich
United_States

Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich wrote: View Post
Sure; as a rough start to some easy to source material, here's some stuff specifically -

http://www.aunkai.net/eng/shop/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzyPw-uJqw8

http://www.iay.org.uk/internal-strength/

You're probably /eventually going to have to involve yourself somewhat deeper than an acquaintance with 'exercises', as 'all buses may be motor vehicles, but not all motor vehicles are buses'.

It may be best to communicate with Dan specifically, seeing you're interested in how Dan does things. FWIW
Thanks I will check the links out.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
DH
United_States

Hello Shane
I spoke with Terry last night after class. Have Keith give Don a call.
Dan
Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hello Shane
I spoke with Terry last night after class. Have Keith give Don a call.
Dan
Shane, it was nice meeting you.
Keith is a great guy and you are lucky to have him for a teacher.
If you can get to UConn - which is a lot closer to you - one of my students (Brian) is teaching aikido there on a rotation. Brian has a good handle on the solo and paired practices we learned from Dan.

The advice you got above about concentrating on how to do the solo work is very good advice - so is the advice about contacting your teacher.

Rob
Old 01-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
DH
United_States

Brian is a bit of a surpise isn't he?
Shane, that's a good chance for getting started.
Dan
Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
Shane Goodrich
United_States

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
Shane, it was nice meeting you.
Keith is a great guy and you are lucky to have him for a teacher.
If you can get to UConn - which is a lot closer to you - one of my students (Brian) is teaching aikido there on a rotation. Brian has a good handle on the solo and paired practices we learned from Dan.

The advice you got above about concentrating on how to do the solo work is very good advice - so is the advice about contacting your teacher.

Rob
Hi Rob, I emailed you at some hotmail address asking about those Uconn Aikido classes a few days ago, Uconn is only 15 mins away and I have a friend who is also interested(who has a car). When does this person teach? How much do the classes cost? Does he incorporated the internal stuff into the classes or more of a ask after class kind of thing? Thanks for the help in class, I really liked all the mental images you were trying to get me to think about to help get my body doing things the correct way.

On Tuesday Keith, Bruce and I tried practicing those two person exercises(pushing on each other chests, walking forward while being pushed,etc) it was fun, but challenging.

Dan: I will tell Kieth to call.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #11
SlowLerner

Is there anyone in SE Australia who can teach this?