Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-15-2004, 08:17 PM   #26
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait
Re: In other's opinion....

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
how about Kendo just hurts.

unless you are an 8th dan.

I prefer iaido.
Craig,
I thought you were joining us Aiki-Penitents!??? Pain is good. It tells you that you are still alive and suffering.
Rock
Old 12-15-2004, 10:23 PM   #27
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

If you want to get better at Aikido - learn some Judo. It's tough, hard work, but you get what you earn.

If you want to learn strikes to incoporate into it, learn Wing Chun. It is easy to pick up and the principles fit really well. Beware of teachers who teach too slowly - a keen student can learn a LOT in a year - but it just depends how much the teacher holds you back. WC is easy to learn.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:12 AM   #28
Matt Molloy
Dojo: Azami Kai
Scotland

Quote:
Hiroaki Izumi wrote:
Hey, no one mentioned Kendo here so I will. Kendo rocks! Or is that Rock Kendos? Uh. Punch drunk again. Missed the rum with El Frente Cubatero this afternoon.

Rock
I'll second Kendo. Extremely enjoyable and gets the reactions up.

Wing Chun to add a bit of striking and arm sensitivity.

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:42 AM   #29
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Quote:
Matt Molloy wrote:
I'll second Kendo. Extremely enjoyable and gets the reactions up.

Wing Chun to add a bit of striking and arm sensitivity.

Cheers,

Matt.
Kendo is pretty good for striking technique too. One of my Kendo students, about 15 years ago went to see his Tae Kwon Do instructor just before taking his 5th Dan test. HIs instructor and he were sparring and the student was doing a Kiai with every strike and standing in a more linear stance than he used to. The teacher stepped back and asked the student what he had been doing. The student apologised and mentioned that he had been studying Kendo. The teacher said back to sparring and proceeded to beat the crap out of the student using only shomenuchi and yokomenuchi against everything the student threw at him. As the teacher bowed off to the prostrate student, he pointed to himself and said that he had 5th dan Kumdo -- keep practicing. The student came back to me a week later and he had bruises all over his body and face. He said for the rest of the three days, his teacher wouldn't use anything other than shomenuchi or yokomenuchi on him, wouldn't even throw a kick, and beat the living daylights out of him. I guess the last words before he left his teacher was: "If you want your next grading to go better, you better improve your striking abilities through your Kendo practice." The student came back to me the day after getting back and wanted another extra day of practice a week. I obliged.

Rock
Old 12-16-2004, 09:18 AM   #30
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

One of the hardest bodies I ever hit was a kendo guy. And I concur about strong attacks.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-16-2004, 09:28 AM   #31
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote:
If you want to get better at Aikido...
Do aikido.

Bronson

p.s. Sorry Rupert, it was right there

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-16-2004, 09:32 AM   #32
Bronson

If kendo is unavilable you could try western fencing. It will help to build fast reactions and the ability to read small differences in your opponents posture (plus a bunch of other stuff of course )

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-16-2004, 09:37 AM   #33
PeterR

Japan

Touche' Bronson

Aikido training can hold back your Aikido. It all depends on the dojo. It also depends on how often training is available.

It is possible to select another endeavor specifically for its benefit to your AIkido training. In my case I choose Judo.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:49 AM   #34
lenna
United_States

I don't understand, I thought that in Aikido the idea was to avoid confrontations and to hurt your attacker as little as possible. Why then if you study primarily Aikido would you want to study an art with the purpose of beating each other up. I struggle with the desire to want to know how to 'properly' punch and kick but that is an aggressiveness that I thought in Aikido should be oppressed. I don't know if I am making sense but can someone explain this to me?
Old 12-16-2004, 10:02 AM   #35
PeterR

Japan

Hi Collen

Ueshiba M. did say there was no attack in Aikido but in the same interview he goes on to say there is no defense. One interpretation is that the two are one and the same. The first technique in Budo (written by the founder) has tori initiating a technique. The idea of seizing the initiative (sen no sen) is well known even though most Aikido is practiced as reactive (go no sen).

I really don't know much about Wing Chun but Kendo, Judo and western fencing certainly are not about beating people up. I suspect a Wing Chun practitioner would say the same thing. Please don't take this wrong but the idea you expressed in this regard is very arrogant thinking - it implies a sort of moral superiority which is just plain wrong.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:15 AM   #36
PeterR

Japan

Collen

Just a quick addition. I think there is a clear difference between going out and looking for trouble (an aggressive mind set) and what happens once it has found you.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:15 AM   #37
Bronson

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
I really don't know much about Wing Chun but Kendo, Judo and western fencing certainly are not about beating people up. I suspect a Wing Chun practitioner would say the same thing.
At our aikido dojo we have a hachidan in Uechi-ryu karate. I've seen various demo's from him and his students over the years...they do a lot of rough stuff. If you were to ask him if the purpose of Uechi-ryu karate was beating people up, I'm positive he'd say no (he might even laugh )

Bronson

Old 12-16-2004, 10:19 AM   #38
PeterR

Japan

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
If you were to ask him if the purpose of Uechi-ryu karate was beating people up, I'm positive he'd say no (he might even laugh.
And then in true Buddhist fashion - they would chastise the unrepentant.

I like your signature quote very much. Colleen - please read it.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:21 AM   #39
Bronson

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
Touche' Bronson
Agreed Peter, I was just having a little fun...sheesh...lighten up

Bronson

Old 12-16-2004, 10:22 AM   #40
Bronson

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
And then in true Buddhist fashion - they would chastise the unrepentant.
But the unrepentant wouldn't realise it until they regained consciousness with a big knot on their head

Bronson

Old 12-16-2004, 10:33 AM   #41
PeterR

Japan

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
Agreed Peter, I was just having a little fun...sheesh...lighten up
[tries to find a smiley that denotes super-serious]

My first martial art was western fencing and I am convinced that my utter genius with a tanto during randori comes from there - ok maybe just my fear of getting grabbed. It's a great sport - I preferred saber but in the end lost interest for the same reason Aikido keeps me going. The variety of technique and expression.

Old 12-16-2004, 01:16 PM   #42
Bronson

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
My first martial art was western fencing
It was my second, tai chi was first One thing that I feel I got more from fencing than anywhere else was the ability to go from 0 to 60 instantly. From no movement to fast movement without having to "cock the gun" so to speak. Interesting thing is that in the style of aikido we do the reverse ability is needed. We need to go from solid extension to fluid relaxation instantly. The skills learned in fencing have greatly helped in this...after all it's the same thing just reversed

Bronson

p.s. Still....lighten up....sheesh

Old 12-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #43
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Bronson - you may be right ...

Colleen - I think you are on a pacificst track - nothing wrong with that at all - but too much of a good thing can get you down sometimes

Peter - Where Aikido preaches defence, Wing Chun practices offense. For some, that may be a clash of philosophy, but for me, I just like stuff that works.

Old 12-17-2004, 02:33 AM   #44
Natasha Bradley
Dojo: Aikido School Leiden

My husband told me he did western fencing when we first met... and that's when I really fell for him. Mind you, he hasn't done any since we got to together. Now he does Kendo, and his strikes are really strong.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!