Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:41 AM   #101
earnest aikidoka
Singapore
Re: what does religion say about ki?

the bible says that when God created man, he "breathed into his nostrils the breath of life".

perhaps, that is the "ki" that all martial artists speak of?

( i am just saying, if anyone gets offended, i sincerely apologize.)
Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #102
brUNO

Dojo: Jita Kyoei Dojo/Dallas, Texas
United_States

I was raised in a strong christian household, as well. My father is a missionary, scholar and a very spiritual man. What that has to do with anything is probably less than nothing (other than my education of christianity). When you ask about religion, it seems like what you really want to ask about is christianity. Am I wrong?

Right or wrong, I think religion and martial art have little to do with each other (or should) other than how far you will go in your conflict resolution (ie: will you kill someone, will I skip church for Aikido practice, Is bowing to a picture of O'sensei Idolatry, etc.).

Gaijin (non-Japanese) tend to romanticize the "Ki" in Aikido with spiritual/religious attributes but that isn't correct in this case.

Let's look at the meaning of "Aikido":
"Ai" can mean: Love, balance, harmony, homeostasis, proper fitting, and much more.

"Ki" can mean: Spirit, kinetic energy, force, blood flow, the gas that heats your home and much more, also.

"Do" means basically the way or an enlightened path (...another topic, for sure! )

Translation:
The way of proper fitting with/to kinetic energy forces.

If someone holds there hand close to your face, you can feel the heat ..that is "Ki". I can feel the "Ki" when my wife comes home from work. You can also feel this "Ki" when someone stares at you with "daggers" from across the room. This is an example of bad or negative "Ki". Is negative Ki spiritual? (Dogs can sense fear, ..fear is also a negative "Ki)

Our bodies run on "Ki." Our brain activates/"fires" our muscles with chemo-electrical impulses that generate a measurable magnetic force field. Our breathing cycles are the "engine" that replenishes the body with oxygen and fuels our cells. Our heart is part of this engine that pumps the fuel to... blah, blah, blah. This is a scientific fact. It happens whether you believe in a God/religion or not.

Developing sensitivity to this energy is a very entailed process or path. Aikido techniques can be performed without the understanding of how this works, to some degree. This is a "dance", if you will, of the timing, movement, and rhythm of Aikido. When you understand how the body works and the relationship of intent, connection, and energy, it works much better. I want the "Much Better."

I won't get too deep into this, but knowing how to cause reactions in the muscles of uke and how to use the stored energy in those muscles to "fire" a recovery motion is using "Ki". It is essential to understanding Aikido. If that conflicts with your religious beliefs, I think you should be true to yourself and do aerobics. Without "Ki", Aikido is just ...."Aido"? ( )

Last edited by brUNO : 06-02-2009 at 09:15 AM.

Bruno
"A warrior is not about perfection or victory or invulnerability. He's about absolute vulnerability."
- Socrates
Old 06-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #103
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

I was also raised in a roman catholic family, and attended a catholic school. My mother's sister is a nun. I know some people who care a lot about their religion and refuse to practice martial arts because they feel that bowing, and ki, and all this metaphysical stuff goes against their faith. It's because they do not understand. The bowing problem is another subject, so let's talk ki. I personally believe that science hasn't yet discovered - and may never will discover - all the secrets of the human creature. What I know for sure is that everything we are capable of, either physically or mentally, was given to us by God. I's still not sure what ki is exactly, but it does no bother me, and it does not interfere with my prayers.
That's my opinion. No, tha'ts my faith.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #104
brUNO

Dojo: Jita Kyoei Dojo/Dallas, Texas
United_States
Re: Qi & Ki, To-mate-toe & To-mah-toe

Stefan,
I think your response would probably be more accurate in limiting your synonyms to your understanding and research on the chinese term "Qi" and not the application of "Ki" (Japanese) to Aikido.

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
I made an encyclopedia of ki synonyms.
"Be specific, Bob" (Office Space). You made a list of words that mean the same as "Lifeforce", one of the many translations for the kanji "Qi". You left out the many other things can mean. Especially in its application to Aikido. This is a very limited spectrum of an Asian concept (with pletheral meanings) and is based on the assumption that "Lifeforce" is the correct translation and application in Aikido.

Truly, "Lifeforce" is ONE translation and application of the kanji, just as "Ai" can be translated as "Love" or "Harmony." But can also mean; balance, unity, to become one with, appropriate fitting/meeting... Do you see what I mean?

AND, these 2 kanji take on a whole new meaning when paired together. Aiki has many applications in the japanese martial world, not just in Aikido. It can mean 2 swords striking together at the same time and one gives way to the other using that energy to drive the counterattack.

Kinetic Momentum is an another application (again, just ONE) of the same kanji that I think it is more appropriate. I think this is a more practicle and less mystical translation, in a scientific/non-religious application of the kanji in Aikido. You don't have to summon special powers to make Aikido work. You do have to understand; energy, force, inertia, momentum, trajectory, center of gravity, balance, etc, to make Aikido work. If not, then I guess Aikido IS a religion. (just joking)

A point of history that might be interesting is that Aikido was founded @ circa 1942. Post war Japan was very limited to Martial Arts practice and most ryu were banned, dissolved, or they retreated into secret practice. So what do you do to keep your martial art (distilled from ancient Daitoryu) from being banned?
""Oh, this? Uh, it's "The Way of Peace and Harmony" let us demonstrate."" ""Well, that doesn't sound too threatening, does it? It can't be too dangerous with a name like that, you may continue your practice, if you show us how to do it.""

I think it is a two-edged sword that served an appropriate purpose in a specific time.

Of course, your application suits your purpose just as much as my view serves mine. It's relative to the beholder, I just wanted to make the distinction and clarification. 5 blind men and the elephant, I guess.

Wow, I just read my post up above and I guess I was a little redundant, uh? Sorry gang.

Last edited by brUNO : 06-02-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: The department of redundancy depatment

Bruno
"A warrior is not about perfection or victory or invulnerability. He's about absolute vulnerability."
- Socrates
Old 06-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #105
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Qi & Ki, To-mate-toe & To-mah-toe

Quote:
Brent Smith wrote: View Post
A point of history that might be interesting is that Aikido was founded @ circa 1942. Post war Japan was very limited to Martial Arts practice and most ryu were banned, dissolved, or they retreated into secret practice. So what do you do to keep your martial art (distilled from ancient Daitoryu) from being banned?
""Oh, this? Uh, it's "The Way of Peace and Harmony" let us demonstrate."" ""Well, that doesn't sound too threatening, does it? It can't be too dangerous with a name like that, you may continue your practice, if you show us how to do it.""
The name "Aikido" was adopted to conform to the pre-war Dai Nihon Butokukai guidelines - 1942 was well before the war ended.

In any case there was never a general ban on martial arts post-war Japan, that's a common misconception. There was a prohibition against martial arts training as part of school curriculum, that's all. Of course, a lot of people were too busy looking for food to think about training in the years immediately following the war.

Best,

Chris

Old 03-17-2010, 07:03 AM   #106
bulevardi
Dojo: Tobu Chiku Aikikai
Belgium

Quote:
Mal Smith wrote: View Post
but i was just thinking that ki is kind of a complicated subject and i was also thinking that most christians would get upset with people if they said that ki was real. are there any christians out there that could share their veiws???
I get upset when a christian claims his God is real.
One who believes in God, already lost his mind in this reality.

Anyway, what does the Scientology church say about Ki?