Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #26
Disillusioned
Japan
Re: Has Aikido ever helped you in a real fight?

Quote:
Mike Logan wrote: View Post
Most likely because he joined today with the sole intent of saying so. Hailing from japan, no less, so he must have loads of credibility on the subject, too
Got me on the signup date. I've been lurking for a good long while though.

Although it may seem that way, Im not trying to troll or stir you up. I simply do not think aikido (on its own especially) should be seen as a legitimate system of self-defense. Those of you who do see it that way are, in my opinion, delusional at best, and a danger to themselves (not so much others, thankfully) at worst.

I studied aikido for more than 6 years and took it VERY seriously till I was actually in "real fights", one of which started directly from me verbally defending the effectiveness of aikido to some meathead. (he even grabbed my wrist before pummeling me just to prove his point)

The best reason to study aikido, in my opinion, is because its a spiritually fulfilling endeavor. Thats why I still visit the dojo from time to time. As far as self-defense goes, I've long since given it up for Sambo / MT.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:22 AM   #27
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Hi,

Quote:
Jerry Silverman wrote: View Post
Those of you who do see it that way are, in my opinion, delusional at best, and a danger to themselves (not so much others, thankfully) at worst.
Aikido helped me sometimes not to get attacked.
It helped me sometimes very well when I was attacked.

I also give Semiars for people who are working with mentaly disabled persons who get aggressive sometimes. We do a very very short version of aikido to teach people just to get not injured and to get control of the attacker without hurting or even pain him or her.
I'm doing this for three jear now with good feedback. It works. The most interesting aspect: The People who attended my seminar get attacked less often than before.

And I'm not a fighter at all.

Quote:
I simply do not think aikido (on its own especially) should be seen as a legitimate system of self-defense.
Well it can be a very effectiv system of self-defense if it is taught that way. That's the point. It isn't aikido which is not working. It is your teacher who doesn't teach you that way.
But I experience indeed dojo, teachers, styles or organizations which don't teach an aikido being effectiv as self defense.

Quote:
I studied aikido for more than 6 years and took it VERY seriously
In our Aikido we say you have to train at least about 7 years very intensive before you can start getting an ideaof how aikido realy works as self defense.
6 years isn't that much time of practice.

Don't know wether you know Tamura Nobuyoshi, Shihan of France? He said, the beginning of effectivenes can start with sandan.

However: I practice for 15 years now and when I look back on the aikido I did after 7 years or so, I have to smile.
(Will be the same looking on my today-aikido after again 15 years.)

Quote:
one of which started directly from me verbally defending the effectiveness of aikido to some meathead.
You lost before he touched you.
It works better if you don't want to prove that it works.
To create such a situation or let him create it doesn't help the technique but does constrain it.

Quote:
The best reason to study aikido, in my opinion, is because its a spiritually fulfilling endeavor.
That is indeed a very fine secondary effect of Aikido.

Carsten
Old 02-19-2009, 04:17 AM   #28
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Quote:
Got me on the signup date. I've been lurking for a good long while though.

Although it may seem that way, Im not trying to troll or stir you up. I simply do not think aikido (on its own especially) should be seen as a legitimate system of self-defense. Those of you who do see it that way are, in my opinion, delusional at best, and a danger to themselves (not so much others, thankfully) at worst.

I studied aikido for more than 6 years and took it VERY seriously till I was actually in "real fights", one of which started directly from me verbally defending the effectiveness of aikido to some meathead. (he even grabbed my wrist before pummeling me just to prove his point)

The best reason to study aikido, in my opinion, is because its a spiritually fulfilling endeavor. Thats why I still visit the dojo from time to time. As far as self-defense goes, I've long since given it up for Sambo / MT.
Thanks for coming back and qualifying your post!

I understand what you are saying. Your experiences parallel mine (physically) which is why I spend alot of time with Judo, BJJ, and some other things.

However, the spectrum of violence and escalation of force etc is long and wide and "self defense" can be interpreted in many ways. I do tend to agree with your experiences though.

I think Aikido fills a niche and a role (at least the way I have studied it) that is necessary, needed, and that can be very effective or proactive, if you will.

Physcially, I do think there are some base skills that need to be learned that we seem to not cover much in AIkido, but there are also something in aikido that are very good that are not covered in other arts as well!

Of course, everyone's experiences, methods of training, whatnot are different so of course you wil get a different perspective and understanding of what violence is and how well aikido methodology etc does to help!

Old 02-19-2009, 05:51 AM   #29
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

So you do agree that aikido is flawed and ineffective viewed as a system for self defence?

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
In our Aikido we say you have to train at least about 7 years very intensive before you can start getting an ideaof how aikido realy works as self defense.
6 years isn't that much time of practice.

Don't know wether you know Tamura Nobuyoshi, Shihan of France? He said, the beginning of effectivenes can start with sandan.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 AM   #30
jxa127

My aikido training worked for me after only three years of training. I dropped and pinned somebody who was high and violent without injury to him and with only a bruise for me (from hitting a chair as I turned).

A few years later, I again successfully restrained somebody who was high and violent -- again, without injury.

Later this year, I'll celebrate ten years of studying aikido. I wouldn't keep at it if I didn't think it was effective.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames
Old 02-19-2009, 07:05 AM   #31
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Hi

Quote:
Drew Ames wrote: View Post
I wouldn't keep at it if I didn't think it was effective.
I too was "tested" after only a few years of training. But I think you can't expect it to work systematicaly for everybody after only a few years.

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
So you do agree that aikido is flawed and ineffective viewed as a system for self defence?
Why should I?

And again: I think it's not aikido which works or not. It depends on the teacher and the practioner.

Carsten
Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #32
jxa127

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Hi

I too was "tested" after only a few years of training. But I think you can't expect it to work systematicaly for everybody after only a few years.
That's true. There are a lot of variables in how the instruction is given and received. I still maintain that if it is taught well and practiced well, two to three years gets one a good level of proficiency for basic self-defense. Dealing with a trained and canny attacker takes more time and more intense training -- including learning how to become a trained and canny attacker.

For what it's worth, I view aikido as part of a holistic approach to self-defense. It is part of a continuum of actions that ranges from basic awareness of my surrounding and basic personal security to using a firearm for the gravest circumstances. In the middle are deescalation, unarmed physical action, and non-lethal responses like pepper spray.

Regards,

----
-Drew Ames
Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #33
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Those of you who do see it that way are, in my opinion, delusional at best, and a danger to themselves (not so much others, thankfully) at worst.

I studied aikido for more than 6 years and took it VERY seriously till I was actually in "real fights", one of which started directly from me verbally defending the effectiveness of aikido to some meathead.
That seems to be the real sticking point now isnt it?
What is a 'real' fight, and what is 'self defense' in light of your interpretation of the former?

Here is why I say what I do.

For some a real fight is defined by what happens in the UFC, etc.
They want Aikido to work on its 'own' to beat the other guy, if not, it aint real.

But in reality, the UFC is the furthest from a real fight...
In the fight clubs, etc., you have two people walking in there ready to beat each others brains out and get bloody.

However, outside in the real world, things are not that cut and dry.

One fight I was in went something like this:

- Me and dude had strong opinions about something, argument happened, next thing guy attacks with some jiu-jujutsu type move...I got out of the move, put him in a headlock waiting for the dude to chill out so he wouldnt try twisting any more body parts...could have pounded his face - but didnt want to be violent, just wanted him to chill.

I got tired, so he then did a Judo move on me...I landed on floor - his large body was coming to lay on top of me...so I popped him in the face with my foot, then I got up and popped him one more time in the nose with my fist to make sure he was in 'stop' - 'leave me alone' mode finally.

At that point he had a good flow of blood going from his nose.
I had not intention of roughing the dude up...I could have done a 'Mike Tyson' and bitten his ear off in headlock mode.

My point with the above statement is that fights are not cut and dry...in real fights the 'rules' vary by the individual...

- Typically, you dont go around and pound each other in the face when a fight breaks out. One reason, I suppose, is people dont want to risk being at trouble with the law...so they go 'wrestling'/'judo' mode to prove who is the 'top of the chain'.

Dont get me wrong, after the wrestling bit, inevitably the fighting/kicking bit comes in...even if its the one guy over doing himself as he is so wrapped up in his anger then.

Point:
Unlike the UFC, where you go looking for a fight...and start off in 'beat the bloody hell out of me' mode...in real life it starts with an argument, etc. and escalates.

In that scenario, dont underestimate Aikidos effectiveness to end a fight, and here is why.

1) Looking back, I could have ended the fight easily with any number of pins...knowing how the fights flow was, Sankyo would have fit in there nicely...and I could have just waited for him to chill out without exerting all the extra energy that I did when he was in a headlock.

2) Most importantly, (mostly thanks to Eckhart Tolle - and my integration of that thought into Aikido, etc.), I would have stopped the fight by allowing him to be...that is, not arguing with him...not defending my position of what is right.

Conclusion:
You know, #2 is really what Aikido is about to me...stopping the fight before it starts...in you.

Now that really does a number for someone who is young, or even older, who wants to prove they can defend themselves by how effectively they can beat the crap out of someone else...no ego in this - no rooster crowing here.

So is the question really about self defense?
Or is it about who can one up the other? And someone will always be there to be the strongest.

I believe that fights, in different situations, can be avoided by whats going on in you and how you treat life.

Many people are like how I was, and are ready to defend pointless things...think about it, 2 guys in their 30s for Christ sake!
A bunch of immature kids is all. lol

So, yes, Aikido works at different levels, depending on what you want...you can even be the bully - which this dude, with his 'limited' jui-jutsu/judo move was...and it backed fired, literally, in his face.

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 02-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #34
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
I think people dont get the jist of Aikido at first...
They are thinking straight forward brawl...this is a different road to be sure...its about flow, and most of all...learning about yourself. At least it has been for me.

(see above post)

Doubt I would have been so introspective with kickboxing.

Peace

dAlen

p.s.
I dont see it taking more than a year to be effective either...though it depends on your take on it.
At the same time, its something that seems you will always be able to improve at.

Last edited by dalen7 : 02-19-2009 at 07:59 AM.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #35
MikeLogan

United_States

Great Post, Dalen.

Jerry, pardon my troll diagnosis. I see where you're coming from, and personally have no training in grappling arts, and the only exposure I have to people that do train in grappling are members of my dojo. That being said it's obvious they also train aikido.

They have put me into some funny looking positions, let me tell you.

I would never enter a match with someone who has trained in grappling the same # of years as I have in aikido, which as of next week in fact, will only be 5 years. On the other hand if I were attacked by a complete stranger of the same experience as above, I believe aikido would avail me far better than never having trained at all. Primarily because the grappler in that case has no expectation, and tactics necessarily rely on the fact that they are not expected when it comes to a mis-match.

Kevin is a far better resource when it comes to the concept of tactics, but I would offer that you were setting yourself up for, at best, disappointment, at worst, pummeling via meat-head.

michael.

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy
Old 02-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #36
observer
United_States

The only martial art which is supposed to teach you that is aikido, but ... it doesn't. It is hard to say that aikido has been corrupted, but rather assimilated to modern people's needs, at least nowadays. You can paraphrase a famous Forest Gump's expression. Aikido is a box of chocolates, but people mostly are buying it because that is a very beautiful box. They do not care about the chocolates.

In my understanding, to react without thinking in a real fight you have to establish trained reflexes. The only way to do it is by repetitions. Dodging against various attacks is the most important skill you have to get, and aikido is based on it. It doesn't have too many techniques, just twelve, but all of them are deadly. They are based on throws directly on the head, and without a protection of the fall (on the back instead of the head), they can cause breaking of the neck. That is why aikido is called a peaceful martial art. By that protection you are supposed to demonstrate your power to discourage, not to kill.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #37
JimCooper

Quote:
Alex Mitchell-Schwartz wrote: View Post
I am considering taking Aikido, but I am unsure as to whether it would actually help me if someone where to attack me.
Self defence effectiveness of any art is influenced more by the instruction you have than the art itself, IMO.

Pretty much all martial arts purport to be, or at least derive from, effective combat arts. They pretty much all have some techniques and principles that would be effective, used the right way. And there are only so many ways to dong someone, or throw them on the ground, so there is quite an overlap in techniques as well.

IME, most dojo, even for the impact-oriented arts like karate, rarely train in "real" self defence (there is a limit to how real you can get in training without causing actual bodily harm). It's a bit hard to tell which dojo do teach self-defence properly without some knowledge already, but a good rule of thumb is to look at the attacks they use in that sort of training. A stepping punch is not a real attack, for example. It has its uses as a training tool to learn techniques, but nobody actually punches that way "for real".

Then there is the separate question about why you want to train. I don't necessarily have a problem with someone taking up an art to learn self defence. In fact, my own perspective is that I don't see the point of a martial art if you don't do any self defence - you can get at least some of the other benefits of it other (arguably better) ways.

However, training purely to fight is (hopefully!) not a good use of your time. When you consider how many hours a year you train, against how many hours a year you spend in fights (this is presumably close to zero), you probably want to think about getting something else out of it :-)

My experience is that aikido dojo are generally not particularly oriented towards self defence, often quite deliberately. OTOH, there is often more of an overt commitment to the character building side of MAs in aikido than most other arts, although again, this is largely down to the instructor.

FWIW, my own opinion is that character is not tested enough by the "happy dance" style of aikido, but that's a purely personal thing. And if self defence is not taught, that is not a problem for anyone happy with that, as long as they realise it (a lot of karate blackbelts just assume they know self defence, for example, but can't deal with being grabbed or thrown).

What I would always recommend is to not count any art out completely. I think it is far more important that you find an instructor you like, and a dojo where you feel comfortable.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #38
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Jim Cooper wrote: View Post
Self defence effectiveness of any art is influenced more by the instruction you have than the art itself, IMO...What I would always recommend is to not count any art out completely. I think it is far more important that you find an instructor you like, and a dojo where you feel comfortable.
Well said, Jim!

Last edited by mathewjgano : 02-20-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 02-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #39
Guilty Spark

United_States

Generally I don't think Aikido is very good for self defense at all.

Ultimately a bad carpenter blames their tools right? If you've did Aikido for 6 years and had the floor wiped with you is it Aikido's fault as a martial art or is it your fault for notmaking sure you get the proper training?

Did you spend 6 years having someone attack you with the unrealistic over the head 'bottle of a beer attack' or did you train against someone trying to hurt you?

Good point about UFC not being a realistic benchmark to gague effectiveness in a self defense environment.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 03-15-2009, 06:03 AM   #40
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Dojo: Yuugou Aikido Kaisho
Philippines

Quote:
I am considering taking Aikido, but I am unsure as to whether it would actually help me if someone where to attack me. Has Aikido ever helped you in a real fight?
Hi Alex,

In my (meager) fight experience I have always found the footwork I learned very helpful. As far as applying locks/catching punches I've had very discouraging results. but the footwork (along with some form of atemi and kokyu technique) has saved me in a lot of tough one-to-one and one vs. many situations.

One-Aiki,

Iking
Old 03-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #41
observer
United_States

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
Generally I don't think Aikido is very good for self defense at all.
I always repeat that aikido is about dodging and killing in a blink of an eye. OK, you don't like that, especially the second part. Forget about it, and focus on dodging. Practice in dojo and out of dojo. Without any doubts it will help you not only in a crowd (legends about O'Sensei), but also in any dangerous street situation. Just survive 2 minutes randori without being hit, grabbed nor overturned.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #42
eyrie

Australia

What the heck is a "real fight" anyway? A fight, "real", "staged" or otherwise, is still a fight - 2 (or more) combatants going at it.

Self-defence is NOT fighting - it's one person fending off an (and usually, unprovoked) assault by one or more person(s). Anyone who thinks that the two are synonymous needs to understand the legal ramifications of each. They are not the same thing.

The general misconception is that "self-defence" involves being able to beat the crap out of an attacker, and that misconception violates both the legal principle of self-defence, and justifiable use of force, by crossing the line from being assertive to being aggressive.

There are many ways to be assertive without being aggressive - and you don't need Aikido [or insert other MA] for that. Seems that human civilization is still in need of further evolution if we still think that more violence is necessary to remedy violence against us, and our God given right to protect ourselves, our loved-ones and our property.

Ignatius
Old 03-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #43
donplummer

Dojo: Aikido School of Self Defense/Monticello NY
United_States

It has in fact helped me STAY OUT of many fights...the redirection of energy is not purely limited to the kinetic world, it can be applied intellectually or emotionally as well, AIkido has saved my life, on varied and numerous occasions

"of all the things I've lost, I ,miss my mind the most..."-mushin-
Old 03-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #44
Guilty Spark

United_States

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
our God given right to protect ourselves, our loved-ones and our property.
How did God give us the right to protect ourselves?
Rights seem more of a constitutional type thing, no?

I think the diference between a real fight and a stage fight, regardless of two people 'going at it' is pretty huge my friend.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 03-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #45
Cyrijl

Just to jump in on the whole "but the ufc isn't really fighting" argument. I think the argument from the MMA side is since they are used to getting hit, they are more likely to be able to concentrate after the initial attack. Those who are not used to physical confrontation, those who have never been hit, are more likely to freeze or be unable to concentrate once attacked.

melior est canis vivus leone mortuo
Bog svsami!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #46
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Here we go again...

Mr. Siverman mentions his reasons and I think it is important to note the specifics...

He was in a Bar

he was in an argument about the effectiveness of Aikido with a "drunk"

The Drunk GRABBED his wrist and hammered him...

I leave it to others to point out Mr. Silverman's apparent tactical mistakes

I'll also leave you with this little "Aiki" paradox...

"There is no wrist grabbing in Aikido" Shoji Nishio Shihan

"Hey!!! Thats not Aikido!!!"

That cute little phrase has been yelped at least a half a dozen times by folks that challenged the Martial Effectivness of Aikido in my last 20 or so years.

William Hazen
Old 03-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #47
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Joseph Connolly wrote: View Post
Just to jump in on the whole "but the ufc isn't really fighting" argument. I think the argument from the MMA side is since they are used to getting hit, they are more likely to be able to concentrate after the initial attack. Those who are not used to physical confrontation, those who have never been hit, are more likely to freeze or be unable to concentrate once attacked.
I find that line of argument kinda amusing. In Aikido I've been dropped on my head, had joints damaged, been hit with wooden weapons, punched, kicked, elbowed, had my nose broken. Cracked and broken ribs are par for the course where I train, broken fingers are fairly common. People have fallen on me.
I'm sitting here with a ligament injury that'll put me out of training for the next three weeks, it's an accepted fact where I train that you'll get hit and that you will pick up injuries.

MMA guys aren't the only one's that are used to being hit. The only real difference is that if an MMA guy get's hit then he shrugs it off because he's always getting hit and it means nothing.
To an Aikidoka, getting hit means you just got stabbed and you are now dead.

Last edited by Ketsan : 03-16-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #48
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
I am considering taking Aikido, but I am unsure as to whether it would actually help me if someone where to attack me. Has Aikido ever helped you in a real fight?
No. But it has helped me face down multiple would-be attackers on at least three occasions--two guys twice and three guys another time. Also, once, early on, I was walking across a parking lot late at night (early morning) and a guy was coming from the other direction. Just as we were passing, he turned and made as if he were going to jump me. My body responded reflexively, turning to meet him, and he immediately broke it off and ran.

So I never had to get into a fight. That's how aikido helped me.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 03-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #49
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
No. But it has helped me face down multiple would-be attackers...My body responded reflexively, turning to meet him, and he immediately broke it off and ran.

So I never had to get into a fight. That's how aikido helped me.
My experience on, too. Alertness and demeanor count for a lot.

Pursuant to this: Grayson, B. and Stein, M.I. (1981) Attracting Assault: Victims' Nonverbal Cues. Journal of Communication 31 (1): 68-75.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 03-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #50
Minh Nguyen

If we have no choice but to defense ourselves, do you think that using linear instead of spiral motion is better to immobilize the attacker?

When I practice Aikido, I figure that pivoting on the mat is not easy but still doable. However, on the street, using leverage technique seems easier and more effective. I have never been attacked on the street, but if linear projection is easier for me on the mat, I assume it would be the same on the street.