Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-09-2001, 08:28 AM   #1
aarjan
Dojo: Aikidostichting "Musubi" De Bollenstreek
Netherlands
My teacher has send me on this quest so can anyone help me with the Japanese term for the arm stretch where you place your arm straight in front of you, palm of your hand faces up and with your other hand you pull your fingers down in a circular motion.

I know they do it also in Shiatsu.

It feels great. Try it.

Aarjan
Old 01-09-2001, 10:13 AM   #2
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Quote:
aarjan wrote:
My teacher has send me on this quest so can anyone help me with the Japanese term for the arm stretch where you place your arm straight in front of you, palm of your hand faces up and with your other hand you pull your fingers down in a circular motion.

It feels great. Try it.
It sounds a bit like yonkyo to me.
andrew
Old 01-09-2001, 11:01 AM   #3
Matt Banks
Andrew yonkajo is applied on the wrist nothing to do with the fingers moving down in a circular motion. It could be sankajo or kotegashi, I could not tell from the description

Matt Banks

''Zanshin be aware hold fast your centre''
Old 01-09-2001, 11:15 AM   #4
mj
Smile arm stretch

Andrew, I think some 'styles' call that exercise 'yonkyo undo'. Few clubs seem to do it, IMHO mark johnston
Old 01-09-2001, 11:19 AM   #5
lt-rentaroo
Aarjan,

From your description, the wrist stretch sounds similar Gyaku Sankyo. Of course, this term may be unique to my dojo. Different dojo will refer to wrist stretches with different terms. An example would be the term Sankajo instead of Sankyo. Both are correct, the diffence I believe is that one word is of an older dialect than the other. In our regular Sankyo wrist stretch, the hand is first held in front of your body, palm facing yourself. You then grab the hand in front of you with your free hand and rotate it in such a fashion that your palm will first face the floor and then away from you. It's a little hard to describe in writing. I hope I've helped a little.

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 01-09-2001, 11:44 AM   #6
akiy

Actually, it sounds like the stretch that Aarjan is describing is different from the sankajo/sankyo stretch. Here's the basic sankyo stretch that's done in most dojo:

http://www.aikido-world.com/highligh...cise-Front.htm

I think the stretch that Aarjan is describing can be done by first putting your left hand in front of your face, palm facing toward you. Straighten the left arm out some (not all the way so as to keep from hyperextending the elbow) so that the tips of the left hand are now pointing out, palm up. Grab the fingertips of the left hand with your right hand and gently tug downwards. If you're flexible, you can bend the fingers back towards the elbow. This should stretch the inside of the arm pretty nicely.

I can't say I have a name for the stretch, though. Sorry.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-09-2001, 05:50 PM   #7
Catherine
Dojo: IAA headquarters
We do this stretch every night in my dojo, but I'm not entirely sure what it is called. I know that even if I could say it right, I cannot spell it. I think that what you are describing is what I would call "kata te" and then it sounds like you are saying "oh" and then like the word "sigh." Can anyone help me with the spelling?

The way that I would describe this stretch is that you hold your arm out, with your elbow down, hand pointing straight up, and your palm facing you. You grab your fingers and bring your hand (and forearm) down in a circular motion without moving your elbow much. It stretches out your fingers and the inside of your forearm.

I hope that this helps!

Catherine
Old 01-10-2001, 02:15 AM   #8
aarjan
Netherlands
Smile

Yes, Jun and Catherine continue for the washing machine 8^). They describe the stretch much better than I do, but thats the one I mean. I need the name because I told my Sensei I could find everything on the Internet and you guys are my last hope...
Maybe someone who speeks Japanese can come up with a fancy name?

Aarjan
Old 01-10-2001, 02:29 AM   #9
Simone
Dojo: Augsburg/Haunstetten
Germany
Hi Aarjan!

Sorry, I can't provide you with the name, but we do this stretch also and sometimes refer to it as "stretch for yonkyo". Mostly your teacher shows and everyone knows what to do without a name. So I'm interested in the name, too.

Simone
Old 01-10-2001, 06:45 AM   #10
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Quote:
aarjan wrote:

It feels great. Try it.
Hi aarjan! Well we do it in our dojo every day, but we don't call it anything, we just do it if you know what I mean, but what catherine was trying to say and that may be the name, if any, is "katate osae", but that doesn't fit does it. Or maby it does, what does the rest of you think. I mean "katate osae" is something like "technique of one hand" isn't it.

Anyway that's my help on the matter

Jakob Blomquist
Old 01-10-2001, 10:15 AM   #11
akiy

Quote:
Aikilove wrote:
I mean "katate osae" is something like "technique of one hand" isn't it.
Not quite -- "osae" comes from the verb "osaeru" which basically means "to immobilize by pressing down." Some styles of aikido call ikkyo/ikkajo "ude osae" which basically means "immobilizing the arm" and yonkyo/yonkajo "tekubi osae" which basically means "immobilizing the wrist."

Maybe this is the proper name for the stretch, but I can't say "yea" or "nay" since I don't know...

-- Jun

Old 01-11-2001, 04:20 AM   #12
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Lightbulb

Quote:
akiy wrote:
yo/ikkajo "ude osae" which basically means "immobilizing the arm" and yonkyo/yonkajo "tekubi osae" which basically means "immobilizing the wrist."
[/b]
Well If you think about it, to stretch the wrist is allmost the opposite of "immobilizing the wrist" isn't it, more like "mobilizing the wrist". aiky - you don't know the word for "mobilizing" or something like that? Then one can say "tekubi -------" for the stretching exersise. Just a thought.

Jakob Blomquist
Old 01-11-2001, 09:53 AM   #13
akiy

Quote:
Aikilove wrote:
[BWell If you think about it, to stretch the wrist is allmost the opposite of "immobilizing the wrist" isn't it, more like "mobilizing the wrist". aiky - you don't know the word for "mobilizing" or something like that? Then one can say "tekubi -------" for the stretching exersise. Just a thought. [/b]
Regardless of what one can call something like this, I don't think it means that it'll make sense because there's most likely a "real" name for the stretch already and there's a possibility that the made-up name refers to something else...

-- Jun

Old 01-11-2001, 05:46 PM   #14
Catherine
Dojo: IAA headquarters
I do believe that we call it katate osae (thank you for helping me spell that!). I don't know if that is what your Sensei is looking for, but it certainly would not hurt to have it in mind.
Old 01-11-2001, 06:00 PM   #15
Octavio
Dojo: Los Angeles Aikikai
We call it Sankyo at my dojo. We also use this stretch in a sankyo omoto variation.

[Edited by Octavio on January 11, 2001 at 06:04pm]

If you have not linked yourself to true emptiness,
You will never understand the Art of Peace.

O'Sensei
Old 01-11-2001, 06:15 PM   #16
cathdavies68
Dojo: Ren Bu Kan
Arm stretch

Aarjan

I think the term you want is ude nabashi. This is the correct name for gokyo and literally means arm stretch.

Others have suggested yonkyo (tekubi osae) or sankyo (kote hineri): these terms do not mean arm stretch.

Best wishes

Cath
Old 01-12-2001, 01:56 AM   #17
aarjan
Netherlands
Re: Arm stretch

Quote:
cathdavies68 wrote:
I think the term you want is ude nabashi. This is the correct name for gokyo and literally means arm stretch.
Thanx but I don't see the link to Gokyo or to any other technique, can you explain it?

Aarjan
Old 01-12-2001, 09:56 AM   #18
cathdavies68
Dojo: Ren Bu Kan
Re: Re: Arm stretch

Quote:
aarjan wrote:
Quote:
cathdavies68 wrote:
Thanx but I don't see the link to Gokyo or to any other technique, can you explain it?
Aarjan

You apply gokyo with the feeling of stretching the arm. It is not the same as ikkyo, although looks similar. It is a knife defense technique (so not normally pratised from a grab)and some teachers only teach ura waza as it is considered safer. You particularly feel the stretching part of the technique when doing ura waza.

Hope this helps.

Cath