Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
Marcoh
Dojo: Belfast
United Kingdom
Aikido, Rickson Gracie and Connection

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I have been studying BJJ for about 3 years and have just recently started an Aikido class, which i think may be helpful. I have read about, the principle of "connection" in aikido (especially in regard to your own centre and to your opponent's). What I found interesting, having studied BJJ has been reading reports of Seminars by Rickson Gracie which he calls "invisible jiu jitsu" (the invisible details which make all the difference to the technique). The main theme of these seminars is the concept of "connection", which to me sounds very similar if not identical to many akidoka's views on this subject. Here is one such seminar report:

http://jiujitsumania.com/technique/a...sible-visible/

And in another one participant says:

I was at last night's Rickson seminar.. and it was AMAZING!

He did not teach any new technique, what he did teach was HOW to execute them more effectively through "CONNECTION".

These lessons are difficult to learn through watching, you have to "feeeeel" them to best appreciate what he's trying to teach.

Too help us understand this concept of "CONNECTION", he went over many basic positions with progressively resisting partners:

some of the positions included:
Standing thrusting hip lift when partner headlocks you.
Standing defense against choke from rear
Standing side clinch (just before you try a leg hook takedown)
Sprawl from double leg attack
escape from mod scarf hold
escape from standard side control
Basic arm lock from guard (2-step arm lock)

There were others, but you get the idea.

Imagine sitting in the water holding on to the rope, ready to water ski. The boat accelerates quickly, BUT! there is slack in the rope.. as you are pulled, the tug is too sudden and either the rope rips out of your hand, or you are launched forward out of balance.

Now imagine there is no slack in the rope. You "feel" when the boat accelerates, and you are able to counter your balance and pressure in order to maintain balance (base). This is CONNECTION.

The moment to touch or grab each other, standing or on the mat, you should always have this CONNECTION to your partner.

I know that Rickson also stresses the spiritual/internal side of jiu jitsu and breath work. My question is does this sound like a similar principal to "connection" (both to your own centre and to opponrent's) as that of aikido (there was another post I read where a participant who rolled with Rickson likened it more to internal martial arts and to ideas O Sensei espoused)? and can Aikido practice help develop this sensitivity? I am a neophyte so forgive my ignorance on the subject and thanks for any help and pointers.

Mark.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido, Rickson Gracie and Connection

Fascinating.
Quote:
Mark Hance wrote: View Post
... My question is does this sound like a similar principal to "connection" (both to your own centre and to opponrent's) as that of aikido (there was another post I read where a participant who rolled with Rickson likened it more to internal martial arts and to ideas O Sensei espoused)? and can Aikido practice help develop this sensitivity?...
That sounds reasonable, but bear in mind that he's talking about connection regarding physical struggle against an opponent in close contact and while his connection ideas are probably applicable to some Aikido practice, most (probably) 'connection' ideas espoused from aikido practitioners might not be applicable the other way around.
I'm kinda saying Rickson's connection training is NOT likely to be the same as 90% of connection training espoused by aikidoka, in my opinion. However I'm absolutely sure it is useful to all aikidoka in some way, just as having a high level of Judo skills would be, with a side-effect of at least some level of 'connection' above the ordinary.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Hi Mark,

thanks for posting the link, a very interesting read.

The level of 'connection' you may learn through aikido, will depend alot on your teacher and his own concept/level of skill at it. Will it be the same as being spoken about by Mr Gracie? that's a good question. As guys like him can demonstrate, it is a 'feeling' created by setting the mind/body up correctly. Which is noticable by those that come into contact him...the technique is less important than the central feeling of connection. The connection is set up in you first, only then can there be a proper connection with the partner.

You will get to meet Dan Harden on these forums, he will be coming to the UK and the Netherlands this year, if you can make it to one of his seminars, I believe you will improve your BJJ as well as your aikido, even though he doesn't teach either.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Mark:

Rickson Gracie is talking about the same connection that we use in Aikido. Very few people inside the BJJ world and fewer outside of this world know that there is the internal training aspect of their art. If you look at Helio Gracie videos, you will see it in action. My understanding was that the teaching of it is mostly done privately and is sometimes referred to as "anaconda style". What is so great about what you learned is that you were able to learn to experience maintaining a connection under increasingly combative manners. This really pushes you to learn how to maintain connection (once you learned how to establish it of course).

Thank you for sharing that valuable nugget with us!

Marc Abrams
Old 02-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Marcoh
United Kingdom

Thanks for your kind answers guys. Yes anything I have read about Rickson tends to agree with the idea that he creates a connection within himself first (I have heard participants of his seminars referring to this as proper posture, body structure/alignment - he himself used the analogy of how an egg in a certain position produces a very strong structure), and then uses this connection to connect to and with the intention of his opponent's. I have also read a post by Mike Sigman where he described connecting to your opponent by taking out any slack between you, kind of like the waterski analogy. Also read a lotof Dan's posts, he seems very knowlegable on the subject to say the least. It just seems like aikido, jiu jitsu and judo are all cousin arts and that surely some universal principles carry over and that Rickson seems to acknowledge this. Thanks again guys.

Mark.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

My son is a Rickson Gracie student and teaches BJJ in his own school. Additionally he teaches police DT based on the Koga Method of Aikido. I've heard him say many times that BJJ is Aikido on the ground and it makes sense to me from the limited practice I've had grappling with he and his students.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 02-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
My question is does this sound like a similar principal to "connection" (both to your own centre and to opponrent's) as that of aikido (there was another post I read where a participant who rolled with Rickson likened it more to internal martial arts and to ideas O Sensei espoused)? and can Aikido practice help develop this sensitivity? I am a neophyte so forgive my ignorance on the subject and thanks for any help and pointers.

Mark.
Regarding your question "can Aikido practice help develop this sensibility?" IME it goes on the other direction: BJJ training is what helps to develop the sensibility required for Aikido.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Marcoh
United Kingdom

Yeah i've heard that Rickson Gracie has developed his sensitivity to a very high level and under pressure, but then i have no doubt that,ighly skilled aikidoka have done the same. It would seem that he views "connection" in the same manner, and has had the developed the skill and/or willingness to follow a more soft/internal element to his practice.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I am a brown belt in BJJ under Rigan Machado. Just returned from competing in the Europeans in Lisbon. Never got on the mat with Rickson, but want to. Also been doing the Aikido thing for about 17 years now. Had some hands on with various guys in internal training and have trained with my friend Marc Abrams above as well.

Done properly there should be no difference in Aikido and BJJ as far as the concepts of internal training and or connection. I see no difference in my training in BJJ from Aikido. Based on listening to Rickson speak, watching him move and knowing a fair amount about BJJ....I believe he is operating at a higher level in jiu jitsu than most folks and "gets it".

Old 02-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
I am a brown belt in BJJ under Rigan Machado. Just returned from competing in the Europeans in Lisbon. Never got on the mat with Rickson, but want to. Also been doing the Aikido thing for about 17 years now. Had some hands on with various guys in internal training and have trained with my friend Marc Abrams above as well.

Done properly there should be no difference in Aikido and BJJ as far as the concepts of internal training and or connection. I see no difference in my training in BJJ from Aikido. Based on listening to Rickson speak, watching him move and knowing a fair amount about BJJ....I believe he is operating at a higher level in jiu jitsu than most folks and "gets it".
Just a note of caution ( and let me preface that by stating that I am a huge fan of Rickson's approach...simply look up the Chicago seminar 1999 in youtube), I'd say that not all "connection" training is going to be the same. There is likely a part where the baseline skillset/conditioning overlaps... but just like Karate doesn't equal Aikido which doesn't equal Taiji etc, the same applies to Rickson's BJJ when it comes to internals.
Of course there's going to be overlap, but I wouldn't go about painting them with the broad brush of "they're all doing the same thing."
Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Marcoh
United Kingdom

I think that there is no doubt that he definately practices the"Art" of jiu jitsu and is more interested in spreading it now (that his fighting career is done), and as kevin said, he "gets it". There was another post I read where he referenced taiji as an influence (as Robert mentioned there is bound to be overlaps with IMAs). As a point of interest check out this video of his son Kron from a Seminar a few years back where he echos some of his fathers philosophies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFiR3-nDKww

Mark.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Quote:
Robert John wrote: View Post
Just a note of caution ( and let me preface that by stating that I am a huge fan of Rickson's approach...simply look up the Chicago seminar 1999 in youtube), I'd say that not all "connection" training is going to be the same. There is likely a part where the baseline skillset/conditioning overlaps... but just like Karate doesn't equal Aikido which doesn't equal Taiji etc, the same applies to Rickson's BJJ when it comes to internals.
Of course there's going to be overlap, but I wouldn't go about painting them with the broad brush of "they're all doing the same thing."
Hey Rob, good point, agreed!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
Marcoh
United Kingdom

I definately agree, I just think there is a closer link between jiu (ju) jitsu, aikido and judo than other arts and that Rickson has explored that connection (pun intended!) more fully than most BJJ practioners.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

There is a connection. As I mentioned before, I just go back from the European BJJ Championships. Watching the fights you see alot of different styles and strategies. Of note, watching white belts fight is different than black belts. Watching old guys fight is different than young guys....watching old experienced guys is different than young experienced guys.

Younger guys tend to use athleticism, speed, and strength as favored methods for winning. Older experienced guys tend to move slower and are more successful and using technical abilities and "connection".

Which is better? A combination of the two I think. I would have a hard time beating a younger guy that is faster, in better shape, and more agile. Not impossible, but these things count for alot.

I suppose my point is, that while they are related and the ability to use connection and internal skills are present in the presented conditions of BJJ, Judo, Tai Chi, etc.....there are alot of other things going on as well, so it can be difficult to determine relative value and to also separate what is going on.

In internal training or aiki training, the methodologies (good ones) have created conditions whereas you isolate out the things you want to DISCOURAGE over those that you want to ENCOURAGE. Basically you create the problem set such that you can enhance the development of desirable traits.

hence Rob John's comments above.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
Michael Hackett

I noticed something similar about a year ago at a big tournament in San Diego. Unlike previous tournaments I've watched, this last one was remarkable for the amount of strength being used in the brown and black belt matches. Previously I've watched competitors working with technique and pure skill, but recently I've seen much more athleticism and muscle being used. As sort of a shorthand, it was much more MMA and much less pure Gracie BJJ. The top flight people were still very skilled in terms of technique, but they were also doing a lot of muscle work without the finesse. Not a criticism, but rather an observation. Not my game and I'm not qualified to be a timekeeper at a grappling tourney.

Michael
Old 02-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #16
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
I noticed something similar about a year ago at a big tournament in San Diego. Unlike previous tournaments I've watched, this last one was remarkable for the amount of strength being used in the brown and black belt matches. Previously I've watched competitors working with technique and pure skill, but recently I've seen much more athleticism and muscle being used. As sort of a shorthand, it was much more MMA and much less pure Gracie BJJ. The top flight people were still very skilled in terms of technique, but they were also doing a lot of muscle work without the finesse. Not a criticism, but rather an observation. Not my game and I'm not qualified to be a timekeeper at a grappling tourney.
It is interesting to watch the trends. I cannot put a finger on anything specifically really, but you see alot of different strategies. It is interesting when you have two disparate fight strategies meet up and what ensues.

I really emphasized to my new guys to watch at what was going on. I'd point out to them guys that used my strategy to show them that what they receive from me in training is based on my size, body type, age, and training DNA. I'd then have them watch guys that looked different than I did, younger, smaller, quicker, etc. The point was that they needed to eventually find there own way of doing things as they grow. That and what they experienced from me was not the only way, nor the correct way for them.

I can tell you from what I saw, the competition has gotten tougher over all and the matches much more closer. I did not see the blow outs of years past, or the guys that walked through everyone like it was nothing.

Based on your observations, I would guess that what you are seeing is the fact that there has been alot of crossover from wrestling and other MMA styles vice pure BJJ or GJJ. I have also noticed that things tend to be somewhat regional as well, but becoming less so. 6 years ago in Europe, the competition was not all that great, however, it has matured alot. Same with East Coast US vice West Coast US....a blue belt on the east coast is not necessarily the same as a blue belt on the West Coast, however that too is narrowing as BJJ on the East Coast improves and closes the gap.

Do not mean to get the topic off subject, but I think there is alot in the observations concerning knowledge and wisdom gained in various systems and methodologies. There is alot going on that we need to be aware of when making assessments concerning methodologies, effectiveness, and what is going on at various points in time and mechanics.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #17
Michael Hackett

Moving back on track a little, what I've experienced rolling with some of these guys is quite similar to what I experience with really good (in my opinion) aikidoka. Very relaxed, effective use of space or maai, connected at least physically. By connected physically, I mean some of them seem to know exactly what I'm doing with every part of my body as I move. And like being thrown by someone good, I end up submitted or in a position of disadvantage without knowing how it happened. Hard to adequately explain in words, but my sense suggests that the two arts have much more in common than would be expected.

Michael
Old 02-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #18
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

For the way I train....I see no distinction between the two. in the guard for example, I work on off balancing and uprooting the center of my opponent, from there it is about the spine and controlling it. Movement is the exact same principle as irimi. No difference...just closer and you have your back on the ground.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
Marcoh
United Kingdom

Just on another side note just had a two day seminar with Braulio Estima and rolled with him andhe definately gets it. some of the concepts he mentioned were: creating a tension in your partner and using this to gague their reaction and moving with or ahead of them. This sounds alot like connection to your partner and using the sensitivity to blend and move with them. He mentioned when you get to a control point/connection with your opponent you become like the rudder of the boat and steer with the opponent's energy. And of course becoming like an anaconda taking away opponent's space. It was a great seminar and my instructor received his Black Belt from Braulio,the first home grown from Northern Ireland.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

awesome and congrats to your instructor!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
Marcoh
United Kingdom

Thanks Kevin, appreciate that.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #22
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Just on another side note just had a two day seminar with Braulio Estima and rolled with him andhe definately gets it. some of the concepts he mentioned were: creating a tension in your partner and using this to gague their reaction and moving with or ahead of them. This sounds alot like connection to your partner and using the sensitivity to blend and move with them. He mentioned when you get to a control point/connection with your opponent you become like the rudder of the boat and steer with the opponent's energy. And of course becoming like an anaconda taking away opponent's space. It was a great seminar and my instructor received his Black Belt from Braulio,the first home grown from Northern Ireland.
I've been to a few Braulio seminars and I have to say he is very impressive and did a lot to change how I looked at bjj, especially in terms of "connection".

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #23
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

I felt this with Royler Gracie (when he "got under" me with minimal movement) and a bit with Rosendo Diaz (when he offset my gross power in an usual way, then removed my sense of balance to reverse me) at seminars, and both would speak about making someone "light" in order to move them, or reverse position. I'm not going to speak to the level of sophistication in which it was "making someone's power zero, or offsetting their strength via mind-directed force manipulation" from a pure IS perspective - as it was before my chasing of IS stuffs - but I do feel comfortable in saying that there was overlap in both the tactical application sense as well as the notion of "making a connection between yourself and another's center and moving them with your intent" paralleling the approach that might be taken in a purer IS training paradigm.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #24
Marcoh
United Kingdom

Yeah Don I totally got that at Braulio's Seminar, and Budd that sounds alot like the concepts braulio was showing also.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #25
Marcoh
United Kingdom

Just on a side note is there always a forward extending pressure (like a coiled spring, willow branch tension), when connecting to your partner, partner's centre? As someone else at a Rickson seminar described it like this.