Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #51
Young-In Park
Re: Mark's revised adventure

although it isn't aikido, this is a seminar you shouldn't miss. if you can't make the seminar, you should contact John Lovato or Rich Elias to arrange a visit to their dojo in Lakewood (near Long Beach).

Seminar: TSYR Seminar in Santa Ana, California with Toby Threadgill
Dates: Saturday, July 21st - Sunday, July 22nd

Where: Santa Ana, CA (in Orange County near Disneyland)
Contact: John Lovato / kenshinyokan@ca.rr.com or Rich Elias / shidare@hotmail.com
Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #52
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Young-In Park wrote: View Post
although it isn't aikido, this is a seminar you shouldn't miss. if you can't make the seminar, you should contact John Lovato or Rich Elias to arrange a visit to their dojo in Lakewood (near Long Beach).

Seminar: TSYR Seminar in Santa Ana, California with Toby Threadgill
Dates: Saturday, July 21st - Sunday, July 22nd

Where: Santa Ana, CA (in Orange County near Disneyland)
Contact: John Lovato / kenshinyokan@ca.rr.com or Rich Elias / shidare@hotmail.com
Hi Y-I P,

thanks for bringing this to my attention, I was really hoping to get to experience Toby Threadgill, on this trip. This may be my best option.

Maybe see you there,

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #53
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Hi Tarik,

thanks, keep your eyes open for a white VW bus

regards,

Mark
Dear Mark,
Try Shibata Sensei in Berkeley.Check out Birankai North America.You will get a list of dojos which might be useful to you. Nice classes inn Ventura, Burbank etc. If you get as far as San Diego check out San Diego Aikikai .Also Murashige Sensei , hes in San Diego. Have a good time, Cheers, Joe.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #54
Gerardo Torres
United_States

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Mark,
Try Shibata Sensei in Berkeley.Check out Birankai North America.You will get a list of dojos which might be useful to you. Nice classes inn Ventura, Burbank etc. If you get as far as San Diego check out San Diego Aikikai .Also Murashige Sensei , hes in San Diego. Have a good time, Cheers, Joe.
Hi,

I'm not sure what Mark's affiliation is, but Berkeley Aikikai has the following writing on their webpage (I've never been there so I don't know if/how they implement this policy):

Quote:
Visitor Policy: Visitors are always welcome to observe. Those who have affiliation with Hombu Dojo are welcome to train as visitors. Yudansha should bring their Aikikai yudansha book. Kyu grades should bring some document that shows their affiliation, or a letter from their instructor.
http://www.berkeleyaikikai.org/index.html

BR,
Gerardo
Old 06-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #55
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Gerardo Torres wrote: View Post
Hi,

I'm not sure what Mark's affiliation is, but Berkeley Aikikai has the following writing on their webpage (I've never been there so I don't know if/how they implement this policy):

http://www.berkeleyaikikai.org/index.html

BR,
Gerardo
Interestingly, a friend of mine with an Aikikai yudansha book was told that it "would not be appropriate" for them to train there when they stopped by to visit.

Best,

Chris

Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #56
Janet Rosen

In Berkeley you will be warmly welcomed and have a wonderful time at Kayla Feder's Aikido of Berkeley regardless of your affiliation/background.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #57
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Mark,
Hi Joe,

I just checked the Berkeley Aikikai and then UnEnKai - it seems Marianne Shibata is running things in Berkeley, with no mention of Ichiro Shibata Sensei. Is he retired from teaching now?

Alex
Old 06-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #58
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
Hi Joe,

I just checked the Berkeley Aikikai and then UnEnKai - it seems Marianne Shibata is running things in Berkeley, with no mention of Ichiro Shibata Sensei. Is he retired from teaching now?

Alex
Hi Alex,
Havent heard much about Shibata Sensei.Hope he is ok.I always liked his aikido and he is a good guy.Spent a few happy times with him.I will try and dig around and get some gen.Hope you are well. Cheers, Joe
Old 06-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #59
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

If you get to the Tampa Bay Area in Florida, stop by our Tomiki dojo and we'll trade knowledge. Shindai Dojo in Orlando, Fl is another great dojo with Dennis Hooker Sensei and Steve Fasen Sensei--both are top notch aikidoka. My cell is 813-892-5317 in case you come here and feel like training/sharing.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #60
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
Hi Joe,

Alex
I stopped by in April and Shibata Ichiro sensei was teaching the luch time class.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #61
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
I stopped by in April and Shibata Ichiro sensei was teaching the luch time class.
That's good news. I enjoyed the classes I went to with him in the UK in the early eighties - he could be fearsome, but had a generous heart.

Alex
Old 07-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #62
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Well I finally got round to posting a blog entry, which covers the first couple of weeks of my trip.

I'm not computer savvy enough to post a link to the actual blog (help). But you can find it easy enough.

I'm really starting to settle into life on the road. And the rate I'm travelling, I may not get much further than the West and South of the country. Which is fine, but I may miss some of the folk I wanted to see in the East. I may just have to come back over here again

regards,

Mark

Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #63
Rob Watson
United_States

http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/mark-fr...oast-usa-4558/

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #64
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Thanks Robert, appreciated

Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #65
Janet Rosen

Our wandering Brit is now in California.
We had some time together - he joined me for a day at Wellspring Aikido in Santa Rosa for a one day Wendy Palmer Sensei seminar, and the next day we did a little "compare and contrast" playing together.
Mark and I share a lineage (at least in terms of my current dojo) via Tohei Sensei and each of us has had a little intro to IS stuff to play with a bit. We are clearly working on the same principles and it was funny to see where the outward forms in terms of footwork or positioning differed w/o the underlying "stuff" being changed.
He is quite the "aikido embassador" in that he is both a fun and generous training partner and a delightful houseguest. If he's headed your way, grab him!

Janet Rosen
Old 07-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #66
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Nice...I hope he makes it to New England. (Hint, hint!)

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 07-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #67
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Our wandering Brit is now in California.
We had some time together - he joined me for a day at Wellspring Aikido in Santa Rosa for a one day Wendy Palmer Sensei seminar, and the next day we did a little "compare and contrast" playing together.
Mark and I share a lineage (at least in terms of my current dojo) via Tohei Sensei and each of us has had a little intro to IS stuff to play with a bit. We are clearly working on the same principles and it was funny to see where the outward forms in terms of footwork or positioning differed w/o the underlying "stuff" being changed.
He is quite the "aikido embassador" in that he is both a fun and generous training partner and a delightful houseguest. If he's headed your way, grab him!
Hi Janet,

thanks for that, I had a really good time, you and Stu are excellent hosts, I appreciate your hospitality. I particularly liked the contrast of both of your NY humour in the middle of small town west coast, a cheeky cocktail, to delight the weary traveller

I made it down to Fairfax and had a good practice, I'm now on my way to Two Rock for my 8th practice in 9 days. I'll need a few days downtime with my old friend when I get to Modesto.

cheers,

Mark

Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #68
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
Nice...I hope he makes it to New England. (Hint, hint!)
Hi Mary,

at the rate that I am travelling, I will be luck to get much beyond California! I keep getting waylaid, my course has been very zig zag, over the costal mountains and back again a few times. Also, every dojo I practice in gives me more recommendations of people to see.

It's all good though, if I don't make it to the east coast this time, I'll just have to come over again.

I'll try and get the second installment of my blog finished and posted shortly.

regards,

Mark

Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #69
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Thanks Mark...it sounds like fun.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 07-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #70
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
at the rate that I am travelling, I will be luck to get much beyond California! I keep getting waylaid, my course has been very zig zag, over the costal mountains and back again a few times. Also, every dojo I practice in gives me more recommendations of people to see.

It's all good though, if I don't make it to the east coast this time, I'll just have to come over again.

Mark
maybe you should do a reality tv show that features you travel the US, and possibly the world and visiting various dojo (is plural of dojo dojos or doja or doji?). i can be your travelling sidekick.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #71
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
maybe you should do a reality tv show that features you travel the US, and possibly the world and visiting various dojo (is plural of dojo dojos or doja or doji?). i can be your travelling sidekick.
Oh, BTW, Phi....he enjoyed the homemade kimchi...and we of course talked about you during the meal

Janet Rosen
Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #72
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Oh, BTW, Phi....he enjoyed the homemade kimchi...and we of course talked about you during the meal
that's just so wrong. why didn't you send me some kimchi and we could have a conference phone and a virtual party?

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 07-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #73
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
that's just so wrong. why didn't you send me some kimchi and we could have a conference phone and a virtual party?
You could PM me your mailing address but the post office these days always asks if anything in the package is potentially explosive

Janet Rosen
Old 07-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #74
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

For anyone who is interested, I have made another blog entry.

http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/mark-fr...th-coast-4572/

I am typically behind with my blog, as I am now in Modesto, spending some time with a very old friend of mine. One more entry should, bring me up to date. I will be heading back into the Bay area, before turning south in a few days time.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #75
Graham Farquhar
Dojo: Ki federation of GB
United Kingdom
Ki Symbol Re: Mark's revised adventure

Quote:
For anyone who is interested, I have made another blog entry.

http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/mark-fr...th-coast-4572/

I am typically behind with my blog, as I am now in Modesto, spending some time with a very old friend of mine. One more entry should, bring me up to date. I will be heading back into the Bay area, before turning south in a few days time.
Hi Mark - Excellent Blog and really enjoying reading about your travels. I think you will have a great time in the Bay area too!

Here is a useful link for you to "translate" the different attacks from Ki Fed terminology into the japanese terminology. May be useful for your own practise during your travels.

http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/aikido-attacks.htm

Safe Journey and we must meet up in Mark.

G

Last edited by Graham Farquhar : 07-23-2012 at 04:42 AM. Reason: forgot link