Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-20-2005, 10:59 AM   #51
spinecracker

United_States
Re: Catholic Aikidoka

Quote:
Larry Murray wrote:
And if I could make an observation.....Christ I am sure feels the same way about O'Sensei as he does about everybody else. He, Christ, may be disappointed in some, but ultimately, if we are to believe all the teachings, He loves all regardless of sin or goodness....(That is just my unschooled opinion)
Yes, I would agree that Jesus Christ does love all of us, regardless of sin or goodness - but that ain't gonna get you into heaven. Repentance of sin and accepting Christ as your Lord and Saviour leads to forgiveness of our sins and redemption to everlasting life - this is through the grace of God only, and is not negotiable, and is definitely not salvation by works (good works are the outward manifestation of the Holy Spirit working in your life, and are a gift by the Grace of God only).

This is not my interpretation of what is said in the Bible - this is exactly what is said in the Bible. Now, if I were to get into a debate about the different translations of the Bible (Alexandrian texts versus Byzantine texts, Westcott and Hort, the blasphemies of the NIV and other versions, copyrighting the corrupted Gospels, apostacy in the modern Church, etc), then I wouldn't have time to train in Aikido! (or eat, sleep and work for that matter).

now time to practice my irimi and tenkan while people throw corrupt bibles at me
Old 07-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #52
spinecracker

United_States

Quote:
Dirk Hanss wrote:
Hi Mark,
I wonder how many catholic or other christian minister would accept this.
"You shall not have other gods after me!" That does not necessarily mean, that there are no other gods, but if you follow them, you cannot follow the Jewish/Christian/Islamic God.
Another issue is reinkarnation, which I (lutheran) was told is not in line with chritian believes.
Errrr.....actually, the bible is specific about God (Yahweh, Jehovah, etc) being the only God. " Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth" Exodus 20:3,4. Exodus 20:5 begins " Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them....". Psalm 86:10 states "For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone". Deuteronomy 6:4 "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord". Revelation 1:8 says "I (God) am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end....."
I could go on, but you get the idea.

When other gods are mentioned in the Bible, they refer to either pagan gods (gods created by man that man tries to control - examples such as the creation of the golden calf after the Israelites were delivered from the Egyptians, and the pagan images stolen by Rachel from her father Laban), or Satan and his fallen angels. Satan is referred to as the "god of this world" in 2 Corinthians 4:4, (but this is not indicating that Satan has any authority over the Earth).

What the bible is saying, IMHO, is that following any god other than God is following pagan idols or Satan (Satan being behind many other, if not all other, religions). Serving two masters is explicitly not allowed.

Reincarnation is against biblical teachings, the only things that might even loosely fit the definition of "reincarnation", as I see them, are being born again as a Christian, being made dead to the flesh and born in the Spirit, the raising of the dead as miraculous acts by Christ, Christ's own resurrection 3 days after dying on the cross, and the resurrection of the dead that will occur at Christ's second coming.

As for the God of the Jews and Christians being the same God as the god of Islam, this is not so, and is being discussed in another thread (started by me).
Old 07-20-2005, 12:15 PM   #53
csinca

Dojo: Various
United_States

Quote:
Cromwell Salvatera wrote:
I am Catholic Myself.. and I find hard to turn the other cheek when a yokomen is coming to hit me.
Try changing your hanmi!

Chris
Old 07-20-2005, 12:24 PM   #54
guest89893
Dojo: Jihonjuku/ St.Pete. FL
United_States

Quote:
Robert Fox wrote:
As for the God of the Jews and Christians being the same God as the god of Islam, this is not so, and is being discussed in another thread (started by me).
Well that's nice Robert, But I think we are going to take Jun's advice and return this thread to it's main topic. Not that we don't appreciate good Christian missionary work. But since, you yourself stated you have already started a thread on who gets to call God, God. So instead of reposting on this thread we can just go read yours. Thank you for your effort. I imagine that thread is doing a wonderful job in bridging the differences among the Children of the Word.
Be at peace,
Gene
Old 07-20-2005, 12:26 PM   #55
guest89893
United_States

Quote:
Chris Sacksteder wrote:
Try changing your hanmi!

Chris
Great one Chris!
Old 07-20-2005, 12:46 PM   #56
guest89893
United_States

Quote:
August Valenti wrote:
I too have studied and practiced Christian mysticism (as a secular Discalced Carmelite), and have benefited from Buddhist meditation techniques...
August, I can't believe I glossed past the fact you were a Secular Discalced Carmelite, perhaps we should have been asking you.
Taken from their website:
In addition to the Second Order, Blessed John Soreth also began the Third Order of Carmel, now known as Secular Carmelites, and wrote their first Rule. The Secular Order's profession of the vows of obedience and chastity, according to one's state of life, is a unique factor which distinguishes its members from all other secular groups affiliated with Monastic Orders. The practice of these vows has endured through the centuries even to the present. In practically every place where there is a Carmelite Monastery, and in many places where there are none, men and women in the world, attracted by this spirituality of total devotedness to God, form Communities of Secular Carmelites.

Repeating the last phrase:
attracted by this spirituality of total devotedness to God, form Communities of Secular Carmelites. not going to write out the first rule but this line pretty much gives a broad view also from their website:
pledge allegiance to Jesus Christ... Carmelite Rule
So in researching Ki/Chi you are going to find a wide variety explanations - for me since it is in all things & all things come from God, it is not an issue. When you drive a car an negotiate it through traffic your using your Ki, so to when you laugh, anyways I am now more interested in your take about it August.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:13 PM   #57
spinecracker

United_States

Gene, just giving answer to dirk Hanss' post and trying to get this thread back on the main topic too. Posts regarding religion tend to go off in way too many directions, but discussion and rational argument is always good for inproving one's knowledge

PS. I'm not a Christian missionary - I'm allergic to dangerous situations and persecution - it brings me out in a rash.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:49 PM   #58
guest89893
United_States

Quote:
Robert Fox wrote:
PS. I'm not a Christian missionary - I'm allergic to dangerous situations and persecution - it brings me out in a rash.
funny
Old 07-20-2005, 08:40 PM   #59
Yo-Jimbo
Dojo: formerly Windward Aikido, formerly at Keewenaw Schools of Aikido (ASU)
Location: Formerly Hawaii Pacific University, formerly at Michigan Technological University
United_States
Cool Will the Real Catholic Aikidoka Please Step Forward, Ladies First

Hi everyone, my name is James Chye, and I'm a Catholic. They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Well, my problem is that I'm a confirmed Catholic and a single male scientist. I guess it really isn't a problem that the right Catholic/Non-Catholic girl couldn't solve. Special thanks goes out to all those who have or are willing to try.

I've been aikidojin and physicist for 14 years now and wish it had been more somehow. I'm not an aikidoka or PhD, but maybe some day I'll take it seriously enough that people will be willing to pay to learn aikido or physics from me (I'm writing my thesis right now). All kidding aside, I can't say that any of these aspects of my life have treated me badly.

So there were questions about being both Catholic and Aikidoka. I'd like to think that I am a scholar. I've studied. In studying I've learned that man is mortal. More astonishingly, I've learned that man is fallible. It is interesting to note that I must assume that woman is no different from man, except of course where she is different.

I would love to discuss or take questions on interactions between Catholicism and aikido. My best advise is much like my wit, short. I suggest you skip to my sig.

If you don't understand it or are still concerned as to whether God/Jesus/The Pope/The Bible/Scripture/Your Priest/Your Mate/Yourself/I feel about you using your Ki/Soul/Breath/Hands/Feet/Head/Brain/Ego/Experience/Words/Holy Spirit in aikido, just remember who goes to bed with you at night and what parts of you can be hidden from scrutiny.

Some things to ponder when considering aikido and Catholicism:
Why are you asking the question?
What would you like the answer to be? Why?
If what you are doing is right/wrong, why aren't you sure it is right/wrong?
What is the expected effect of Confession (formal or informal) of your dealings in aikido? Why is that expected?
Can a pure/impure and/or good/evil thing be turned by the action of man? Why or why not?
If someone doesn't believe you have a soul or ki, how does that change your ability to use them?
If you don't have a soul or ki, how does that change your ability to act as if you do?
Is aikido more effective on Catholics? Catholicism on aikidoka? Why?
Is the danger, in trusting someone else to define the heretical for you, that they could be wrong?
Is the danger, in trusting oneself to define the heretical, that you could be wrong and be labeled a heretic (or be right and be a heretic, until perhaps many years later when not believing your authority is itself heresy)?
Why ask why?
Why ask anything?
What makes you think that there is an answer to a particular question?

August, if you would like to include me in a serious discussion with other Catholic aikidoka, here or offline, I would be honored (and promise to play nicer than I did here thus far, at least, as long as I am able). At the same time, I kind of hope that you stopped looking at this thread days ago. Not just for my own sake...

"One does not find wisdom in another's words." -James D. Chye
Old 07-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #60
Red Beetle
Dojo: Ithaca
United_States

Roman Catholicism

Rather study Judo

Red Beetle
www.kingsportjudo.com
Old 07-21-2005, 12:08 AM   #61
aikispike
Dojo: Yoshinkan
Canada

Sola Scripture
Pig headed Protestants

1 Timothy 3:14-15
Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth

In case you would like an interpretation: the Church is the pillar and foundation of the truth. not the bible... how do i know this? the bible says it.

Michael Kimeda

Last edited by aikispike : 07-21-2005 at 12:09 AM. Reason: forgot to sign it
Old 07-21-2005, 12:47 AM   #62
ryujin

Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States

Speaking as a non-christian, I can honestly say that there is no reason what so ever that practicing aikido does not mean you also have to follow the spirituality that it is often bundled with. Ki, and this is my opinion, is nothing more than proper body mechanics and physics. There is no mystical magical mumbo jumbo about it unless you want there to be.

Carl Bilodeau
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō
Renshinkan

"Yield to temptation — it may not pass your way again." - Robert Heinlein
Old 07-21-2005, 05:42 AM   #63
AugustV
Re: Will the Real Catholic Aikidoka Please Step Forward, Ladies First

James,

Now we're talking! Thanks for your lengthy and thoughtful reply. I have no cumpunctions about practicing aikido, studying Taoist or Buddhists scripture, or the like. I wondered how others, who share my faith, felt about aikido. I have read marvelous books about the spirituality of aikido and the nature of ki (see particularly Gleason Sensei's book on the spiritual roots of aikido). Without sounding too much like a dilittante, I have a deep interest in physics and mathematics so your take on ki as a Catholic physicist would be MOST welcome.

I would like this thread to elevate the discussion among Christians practicing aikido and avoid some of the doctrinal squabbling (it is impossible to eliminate all of it; even the apostles did not always agree) that foolishly divides us. Surely our love of Christ and aikido unites us.

August

Quote:
James Chye wrote:
Hi everyone, my name is James Chye, and I'm a Catholic. They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Well, my problem is that I'm a confirmed Catholic and a single male scientist. I guess it really isn't a problem that the right Catholic/Non-Catholic girl couldn't solve. Special thanks goes out to all those who have or are willing to try.

I've been aikidojin and physicist for 14 years now and wish it had been more somehow. I'm not an aikidoka or PhD, but maybe some day I'll take it seriously enough that people will be willing to pay to learn aikido or physics from me (I'm writing my thesis right now). All kidding aside, I can't say that any of these aspects of my life have treated me badly.

So there were questions about being both Catholic and Aikidoka. I'd like to think that I am a scholar. I've studied. In studying I've learned that man is mortal. More astonishingly, I've learned that man is fallible. It is interesting to note that I must assume that woman is no different from man, except of course where she is different.

I would love to discuss or take questions on interactions between Catholicism and aikido. My best advise is much like my wit, short. I suggest you skip to my sig.

If you don't understand it or are still concerned as to whether God/Jesus/The Pope/The Bible/Scripture/Your Priest/Your Mate/Yourself/I feel about you using your Ki/Soul/Breath/Hands/Feet/Head/Brain/Ego/Experience/Words/Holy Spirit in aikido, just remember who goes to bed with you at night and what parts of you can be hidden from scrutiny.

Some things to ponder when considering aikido and Catholicism:
Why are you asking the question?
What would you like the answer to be? Why?
If what you are doing is right/wrong, why aren't you sure it is right/wrong?
What is the expected effect of Confession (formal or informal) of your dealings in aikido? Why is that expected?
Can a pure/impure and/or good/evil thing be turned by the action of man? Why or why not?
If someone doesn't believe you have a soul or ki, how does that change your ability to use them?
If you don't have a soul or ki, how does that change your ability to act as if you do?
Is aikido more effective on Catholics? Catholicism on aikidoka? Why?
Is the danger, in trusting someone else to define the heretical for you, that they could be wrong?
Is the danger, in trusting oneself to define the heretical, that you could be wrong and be labeled a heretic (or be right and be a heretic, until perhaps many years later when not believing your authority is itself heresy)?
Why ask why?
Why ask anything?
What makes you think that there is an answer to a particular question?

August, if you would like to include me in a serious discussion with other Catholic aikidoka, here or offline, I would be honored (and promise to play nicer than I did here thus far, at least, as long as I am able). At the same time, I kind of hope that you stopped looking at this thread days ago. Not just for my own sake...
Old 07-21-2005, 06:01 AM   #64
guest89893
United_States

Quote:
James Chye wrote:
James is that because unlike the majority of your post your signature at least is not obtuse?
Okay sorry joking aside.
Curious what you and others think about this thought:
The elegance that Bertrand Russell and Einstein saw in this mathematical universe, if you were to write a formula/mathematical statement using KI as the symbol for that elegance in the formula/mathematical statement might this cause a paradigm shift in perspective to both the definition of KI/elegance and the meaning of KI/elegance?
Or am I just babbling in written form because I haven't had any coffee yet?
Cheers,
Gene
Old 07-21-2005, 08:08 AM   #65
Yo-Jimbo
Location: Formerly Hawaii Pacific University, formerly at Michigan Technological University
United_States

Quote:
Gene Martinelli wrote:
James is that because unlike the majority of your post your signature at least is not obtuse?
Oh yeah! Well, ah...
Quote:
Gene Martinelli wrote:
Okay sorry joking aside.
No, please continue. I may even develop a come back. I did it. I did it. See that is the value of practice.
Quote:
Gene Martinelli wrote:
Curious what you and others think about this thought:
The elegance that Bertrand Russell and Einstein saw in this mathematical universe, if you were to write a formula/mathematical statement using KI as the symbol for that elegance in the formula/mathematical statement might this cause a paradigm shift in perspective to both the definition of KI/elegance and the meaning of KI/elegance?
As a parameter that measures the aesthetic elegance of the equation or the aesthetic elegance of the system/state that the equation describes?

You might be on to something, if the definition could be quantified. I'm not sure that ki always manifests itself in an elegant way, but sensei has always mentioned it as usefulness. Elegance and usefulness are highly correlated in aikido, but are not always causally linked in a martial setting. For me (being a non-native speaker of Japanese), ki, at least in the context of aikido, is focuses the intension made manifest through the body. I could hyperventilate and stumble back or I could exhale and surge forward. I know which of these has better ki in general, but there might be rare times when the first is appropriate and the second is not. My experience tells me which to use.

It seems to me that if your KI parameter is a measure of elegance and usefulness (martially), then it is only a matter of time before robots have it in spades (less than 200 years from now almost certainly).

I agree that some equations in physics have some intense KI. After all, good jazz and blues can have lots of soul.

I think you can/do put your soul into everything that you do. The more of your soul that is invested, the more it shows. Whether into music, text, aikido, children, friendships or comedy, there is the part of each act that effects the universe forever. Will I float about as a shadow after death? I doubt it. Will this text exist as magnetic domains on some drive and in the minds and subsequent actions of those who read it and those who interact with them? Indubitably. Neither will I or my keyboard be quite the same from this moment on.
Quote:
Gene Martinelli wrote:
Or am I just babbling in written form because I haven't had any coffee yet?
Cheers,
Gene
If you thought to ask the question...

Old 07-21-2005, 08:44 AM   #66
guest89893
United_States

Quote:
James Chye wrote:
As a parameter that measures the aesthetic elegance of the equation or the aesthetic elegance of the system/state that the equation describes?

You might be on to something, if the definition could be quantified. I'm not sure that ki always manifests itself in an elegant way, but sensei has always mentioned it as usefulness. Elegance and usefulness are highly correlated in aikido, but are not always causally linked in a martial setting. For me (being a non-native speaker of Japanese), ki, at least in the context of aikido, is focuses the intension made manifest through the body. I could hyperventilate and stumble back or I could exhale and surge forward. I know which of these has better ki in general, but there might be rare times when the first is appropriate and the second is not. My experience tells me which to use.

It seems to me that if your KI parameter is a measure of elegance and usefulness (martially), then it is only a matter of time before robots have it in spades (less than 200 years from now almost certainly).

I agree that some equations in physics have some intense KI. After all, good jazz and blues can have lots of soul.

I think you can/do put your soul into everything that you do. The more of your soul that is invested, the more it shows. Whether into music, text, aikido, children, friendships or comedy, there is the part of each act that effects the universe forever. Will I float about as a shadow after death? I doubt it. Will this text exist as magnetic domains on some drive and in the minds and subsequent actions of those who read it and those who interact with them? Indubitably. Neither will I or my keyboard be quite the same from this moment on.

If you thought to ask the question...
I was in fact thinking more along the line 'the aesthetic elegance of the system/state that the equation describes." But without doubt in music when ad libbing with a group of musicians the synchronize-ty that occurs unspoken is an incredible blending and the outpouring is quite often elegant. Will text remain somewhere through time? Matters not. Will I do something that someone else sees as a positive thing in their life and they in turn to something positive in the same way? That is what I would rather see rippling across the universe forever. Thank you for your thoughts James, and yes you are right if "you thought to ask the question..."
Cheers,
Gene
Old 07-21-2005, 10:28 AM   #67
spinecracker

United_States

Quote:
Michael Kimeda wrote:
Sola Scripture
Pig headed Protestants

1 Timothy 3:14-15
Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth

In case you would like an interpretation: the Church is the pillar and foundation of the truth. not the bible... how do i know this? the bible says it.

Michael Kimeda
Pig headed Protestants? So much for respecting the beliefs of others

As for this quote from 1 Timothy, I have had a chance to research a little bit. As I have no desire to turn this thread into a bickering session, I would be grateful to discuss this via private messages.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:52 AM   #68
Yo-Jimbo
United_States
Talking Re: Will the Real Catholic Aikidoka Please Step Forward, Ladies First

Quote:
August Valenti wrote:
James,
Now we're talking! Thanks for your lengthy and thoughtful reply. I have no compunctions about practicing aikido, studying Taoist or Buddhists scripture, or the like. I wondered how others, who share my faith, felt about aikido. I have read marvelous books about the spirituality of aikido and the nature of ki (see particularly Gleason Sensei's book on the spiritual roots of aikido). Without sounding too much like a dilettante, I have a deep interest in physics and mathematics so your take on ki as a Catholic physicist would be MOST welcome.
If only I were a Cardinal and a Shihan, I would rule this thread!
I discuss this sort of thing with my sempai/sensei Mark all the time (he is a Catholic psychologist) here at our local dojo. Aikido is nicely integrated into both of our personal faiths. Whether it is viewed as transforming id into superego, or the practice of being a quality human being on the road to self actualization, Jesus seemed to wise to have a problem with it (and I wouldn't be afraid to set him straight if he did). To me, one of the benefits of being Catholic is the option of acting out of respect for creation (note that I'm not a creationist or even a true intelligent designer), not just fear of reprisal. So the question becomes, how to act. How do I love my neighbor when my neighbor is swinging a broken bottle at my face? How do I love my wife when she is armed with a carving knife? It might be time to talk about aiki.
I've suggested before (I'm not claiming to be the first) that ki doesn't need to exist as anything other that a physical mnemonic to work. One might say that there are plenty of things that can't be seen, but are still agreed to exist. If ki can be "felt", then it should be quantifiable and its use repeatable and measurable. I don't know how to do that and I've never heard of someone with a metric to do so (as a physicist, I'm always open to being proved wrong though). What I do know from experience is that martial action that is consistent with the concept of ki usage is more effective.
For example, if I tell an archer to think of a tiny rubber band attaching the tip of the arrow to the spot or ki flowing out of the tip and into the target, that sounds like a useful mnemonic. If I tell the archer to think of the arrow as a dead duck weighted by a heavy brick and the bull's eye as a tiny port hole on a distant ship out on ruff seas, I doubt it would be as instinctively helpful.
Thus my views about a person's soul. I don't know of a way to prove there physically is such a thing, but that doesn't mean acting consistent with the concept of having one isn't useful in quickly explaining decision making that is consistent with a lawful good social order.
I'm much more evangelical about aikido (and physics) than I am about Christianity. Perhaps it is because of the narrower scope that I can have more confidence in the benefits. Perhaps it is because I like newer good ideas over older good ideas. Beautiful things often tarnish with time. I do like that Catholicism centers on actions ultimately speaking louder than intentions or beliefs.
So if aikido makes someone healthier, happier or safer. Those are things that will ripple outward through society.
Quote:
August Valenti wrote:
I would like this thread to elevate the discussion among Christians practicing aikido and avoid some of the doctrinal squabbling (it is impossible to eliminate all of it; even the apostles did not always agree) that foolishly divides us. Surely our love of Christ and aikido unites us.
August
I would like to think so. Humans are a bit resistant (sometimes rightly so) to a "universal" anything. Christianity has broken up. Aikido is broken up. Islam and Judaism are broken up. Everyone thinks that they have the answers. I hope it continues to sort itself out. In the interim, come not between a man an his jealous love for his god.

August, do you have any Valenti relatives in Ishpeming, MI? I sometimes train with a Mark Valenti (different from the earlier mentioned Mark C-O).

Does anyone else find it funny that I called for C.A.L.'s to step forward 1st and guess who volunteered? Good old R.B., doesn't qualify on any account. I guess I wasn't taken seriously. Shouldn't have been a surprised. I don't even take me seriously, or my own advise it seems.

Peace in, not a word to your mother,

Old 07-21-2005, 12:10 PM   #69
Yo-Jimbo
United_States
Confused Re: Catholic Aikidoka

Quote:
Robert Fox wrote:
Robert, I am also disappointed, both in the unnecessary, unfair over-generalization and in the lack of wisdom in ever insulting someone with the nickname like "spinecracker", "backbreaker", or even "chiropractor".
Quote:
Michael Kimeda wrote:
Michael, I appreciate a good biblical paradox more than the next person, but in this case logic isn't like tenkan. Spinning us in circles won't make us fall down.

I'm suddenly reminded of katsu jinken and the execution of an innocent that ransoms the guilty. Is it the past or the future I see?

Now for the sensitivity training. How does the other guy feel about my/your comments? Which of you deserves to be the most angered? Which of you desires to be angered? What is the aikido/Christian response?

Here I'm preaching all the time and I only ask rhetorical questions. I have a true question or three for all you Catholic aikidojin. Is it wrong to wear my hakama to mass?

Is it wrong to practice shihonage in my mind during the "sign of peace"?

Since a sin in the mind is just as dire as the act, if I contemplate kicking kohai's butt during practice, should I confess it to my priest?

Yep, I'm going straight to purgatory.

Wait, does anyone know any priests, bishops or cardinals that study aikido?
Our local priest trained for a little while, not long enough to be any kind of authority, but if I think of it I'll ask him his impressions.

I'd also like some sit down time with the Pope at some point. I may have to wait on that though.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:53 PM   #70
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Quote:
James Chye wrote:
Is it wrong to practice shihonage in my mind during the "sign of peace"?
Lol. Actually I get ideas for a lot of Oyo Waza (Applicatioin technique) for Aikido while at Mass for some reason.

It's not like I'm thinking about it, the waza just pops into my head in the midst of a hymn or something. Maybe it's Divine Inspiration.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 07-21-2005, 04:51 PM   #71
spinecracker

United_States

Quote:
James Chye wrote:
Robert, I am also disappointed, both in the unnecessary, unfair over-generalization and in the lack of wisdom in ever insulting someone with the nickname like "spinecracker", "backbreaker", or even "chiropractor".
Well, "spinecracker" was better than some I could have come up with "b#llbuster" didn't quite fit the bill. Could have been worse - I could have been a proctologist Not sure what this has to do with religion, though......
Old 07-21-2005, 06:06 PM   #72
AugustV

To all,

Again, I appreciate your thoughts and discussion. I love my Jewish, "Protestant," Buddhist, Hindi, Muslim brothers, and all who seek the Truth with sincere hearts (and even those who don't). How many of us have inherited our faiths? We are all but accidents of our birth.

Unless I can practice apologetics in a civil environment, I eschew these discussions. It does none of us good to insult another. Rather, we should learn from Osensei about how to work through differences. Can anyone imagine the good that might have come from the Pope and Luther practicing irimi tenkan? The Lionhearted and Saladin? Mao Zedong and the Dalai Lama? (Oh come to think of it, the Dalai Lama got it right; he saw Mao as his teacher--of patience!) So, let us be civil.

I am gratified to learn that many Catholic Christians practice aikido. I have read other threads, less specific, that indicate that aikido helps us to become better in our faiths; that has been my experience, although I have not been practicing for very long.

This has all been helpful.

Thanks, August

Last edited by AugustV : 07-21-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:00 PM   #73
wxyzabc
England

"Errrr.....actually, the bible is specific about God (Yahweh, Jehovah, etc) being the only God. " Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth" Exodus 20:3,4. Exodus 20:5 begins " Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them....". Psalm 86:10 states "For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone". Deuteronomy 6:4 "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord". Revelation 1:8 says "I (God) am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end....."

Hey thats interesting...first time I've read anything from the bible though I am supposed to be catholic. But you know when I read this it sounds to me that we are being told that we are supposed to be Gods...no? especially the bit "for thou art great, and doest wondrous things..thou art God alone"...is that talking about us?

mmm...anyway I'm certainly not religious...I always liked the quote by Henry David Thorea "talk of heaven..ye disgrace earth"...
Old 07-21-2005, 09:45 PM   #74
aikispike
Dojo: Yoshinkan
Canada

Quote:
Robert Fox wrote:
Sorry all. My comment about Protestants was only meant to be directed to our friend the Red Beetle, certainly it was not meant to be a blanket statement. I have no problem with Protestants in general; only the ones who tell my I am damned from the get go. In fact I think that Catholics can learn much from Protestants as it seems they read the Bible more, are more willing to defend their faith, and more willing to evangelize.

To bring this back to a Catholic topic... I don't think any Catholic Aikidoka have problem with bowing to partners, instructors or pictures of founders. How about bowing to the Kamiza? In my dojo in Canada there never was one, there is at the Yoshinkan Honbu.

Spike

Last edited by aikispike : 07-21-2005 at 09:48 PM.

--
Michael Kimeda
Old 07-22-2005, 12:02 AM   #75
eyrie

Australia

I suppose genuflecting in response to nikyo is not on then?

Ignatius