Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-27-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
A D
United_States
Supernatural techniques...

I just finished watching Kill Bill 2 upon renting it and I found it a very enjoyable film. I laughed like crazy after seeing Pao Mei and his resemblance to the Master of the Flying Guillotine from the "One Arm Boxer".

Well back to my question. Pao Mei was a master of martial arts and although completely fictional many professional martial artists are infamous for being known as "invincible", "unbeatable", and being able to hone "supernatural powers". I'm not taking this movie seriously but this is a matter that always always interested me.

So do any of you have any stories you know that are FACTUAL and talk/show of insane techniques that do something out of the ordinary....?

Thanks,

Alex
Old 07-27-2004, 07:03 PM   #2
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: Supernatural techniques...

Quote:
Alex de la Paz wrote:
So do any of you have any stories you know that are FACTUAL and talk/show of insane techniques that do something out of the ordinary....?
Yes. I do. I was even able to capture many of them on video tape. However, after a dozen years of watching the same things over and over and ten trips back to Japan to train with the master, there are still a handful of them that are beyond my comprehension.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:25 AM   #3
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Aikido Shugyo, by Sensei Gozo Shioda is a book wiith many first hand account stories of O'Sensei that are quite incredible. Dodging bullets is the main demo of choice, though O'Sensei did meet one man who was such an expert marksman, O'Sensei knew even HE couldn't dodge him if he wanted to and acknowledged the marksman was a true master of his sport.

It's an excellent book. I highly recommend it.

Old 07-28-2004, 04:14 PM   #4
oudbruin
Dojo: Independent
United_States

supernatural technique-eh?
How about Bruce Franzus Sensei beating a deadly form of hepatitis he contracted in India, and by use of internal chi/ki made his way back to health.
How about Jackie Chan walking and coming back to martial arts after being told by western medicine he'd never walk again>
How about the major network show(I think it was 60 minutes..), that featured the shoal in monks and their use of chi- pulverizing the #10 brick down in a stack of 12..
The one that grabbed my attention was an old man, a Chinese chi master ( Ba qua? Chikung?..) while doing his t'ai chi practice - demonstrated his ability to harness chi, by stopping a real sword. two men leaned against the sword and tried to slice off his neck- the sword bent. Just prior they were chopping watermelon with it. The same old man- stood and while several burly guys tried to attack him - he stopped one guy with a single finger- and with his palms out - simply pushed these guys on their butts. Just like Osensei!

Supernatural...not really, good chi /ki control YES!!!!

I believe that we all have an untapped capability within ourselves that Aikido and T'ai chi and the other internal arts only just barely touch upon.

When I was a child, I accidental impaled myself on a rusty 16 penny nail down at the Jersey shore. I knew that Mom and Dad would have been angry with me, so I didn't want this to happen. I pulled myself off of the nail - no bleeding! No marks! Yes, the nail entered my skin and punched a hole in my arm- but , I think that on some unconscious level my brain found a way to control the body. Miracle? I don't know. Yes it would be a miracle if we could be able to do this on a daily basis, All the killings from knives and gunshot would be eliminated.

How is it that most folks have had some sort of experience with precognition or remote viewing or some other form of mind over the material world? Now if that link could be harnessed on a daily basis,
Sensei Tohei was just scratching the surface with ki in daily life, how about other application of mind opening the energy gates?

IMHO- the supernatural is simply that part of our mind that we rarely get to see.

Kindest Regards,
Bruce
Old 07-28-2004, 10:49 PM   #5
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

I'm still waiting for the supernatural alcohol absorbtion technique. This is where someone drinks 40 beers and still manages to stay centered enough to walk a straight line.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 07-28-2004, 11:45 PM   #6
Brad Darr
Dojo: Aikido of Flagstaff/Seibukan Aikido Kobe
United_States

Speaking of spooky little asian guys. I was watching a show on the Discovery Channel called More Than Human, they had a chi gung master on who could run his hands along a steel chain that had heated to the point of being white hot. Then he took a white hot steel bar touched it to his tongue and then proceeded to bend it in his teeth. There was a doctor standing there watching this little old man do this with this "Holy Shit" expression, he later said that at that temperature it should have immediately cautorized the old mans hands and tongue. Not quite supernatural technique but impressive and spooky none the less.

the edges of the sword are life and death
no one knows which is which
-Ikkyu Sojun
Old 07-29-2004, 01:04 AM   #7
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia

Always seeking the mystical...

These wu-shu chinese tricks are very often just tricks... As for example this sword one...

What does showing these kind of things show? What does it mean for an average person looking for self-defence class or peace of mind? I think it means it strives people away from what they are actually able to do pursuing something that they'll never be able to do.

BTW... there is no "deadly form of hepatitis" ... just A, B, and C... getting well of all those is possible.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:20 AM   #8
Ian Williams

Quote:
Nathan Gidney wrote:
I'm still waiting for the supernatural alcohol absorbtion technique. This is where someone drinks 40 beers and still manages to stay centered enough to walk a straight line.
Nathan, Do a google for a famous australian named David Boon, and a particularly famous (or is that infamous) flight between Sydney and London..

Tsutsumi Ryu Jujitsu
Adelaide, South Australia

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure
Old 07-29-2004, 01:29 AM   #9
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

I saw the Shaolin Monks from the front row a few years ago when they did their first tour of the UK. Most of what they did was impressive, and one that I remember most was, after demonstrating that the spears had very sharp tips, the chappie who stood there and allowed three or four guys to put multiple spears against his body and push hard. The scariest one being the one against his throat. None of the spears penetrated his body, but the one against his throat did bend and snap.
Whether their feats were supernatural or just parlour tricks is something else, it was still very impressive to watch and not something I would ever consider letting someone try on me.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 07-29-2004, 03:06 AM   #10
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

I've experienced some pretty cool Ki tricks but to me that's not the magic of Aikido. What is? Random examples:

Getting to know people from all over the world in all walks of life.
Forgetting about the day of work you've just had.
Rediscovering your body.
Finding a set of principles that can apply to and improve anything.
An alcoholic learning to overcome their problem.
An abuse victim being given the confidence to lead a happy life.
A dad getting to know his kid properly.
However Aikido transforms you personally.

That said and done, being abloe to pull and truck attached to your balls is a wicked party piece!

Mark
x
Old 07-29-2004, 05:01 AM   #11
Patrick O'Regan
Australia

Ian,

I never thought I would see "Boony" referenced in an Aikido site........Thank you.

Paddy
Old 07-29-2004, 05:52 AM   #12
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Ian Williams wrote:
Nathan, Do a google for a famous australian named David Boon, and a particularly famous (or is that infamous) flight between Sydney and London..

................................................................................ ................................................................................ ........................speechless

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 07-29-2004, 07:13 AM   #13
frivolouspig
Canada

2 of the coolest things I have ever seen on Ripley's believe it or not were 2 guys 1 who could catch arrows mid-flight and another guy (ex Chinese spy) who could throw a sowing needle through a glass window and pop a balloon on the other side .I wish I had taped it.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:35 AM   #14
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States

I heard an NPR story some years ago about an experiment concerning the power of prayer. I can't remember who conducted the experiment.
Patients at a hospital were prayed for by members of a local church. Some of them were told they were being prayed for and some were not told. The people receiving the prayers recovered, on average, faster than those not prayed for. Even the people who were ignorant of the experiment got better faster.
One of the doctors who took part in the experiment admitted on tape to being a) amazed and b) an atheist. I don't remember if some of the doctors were kept in the dark but I imagine they were.
If anyone else has heard this story could you post a link?
Old 07-29-2004, 08:24 AM   #15
frivolouspig
Canada

After my last post I tried to find a clip or some stills or something of the needle throwing, I didn't find much unfortunately but I did find this.

or you can use my mirror of the site (fixed html for my firefox browser)
Old 07-29-2004, 10:40 AM   #16
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

Quote:
Nathan Gidney wrote:
Nathan, my father can do that he is a really big guy, but I think it's not supernatural.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:03 PM   #17
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Dan Guthrie wrote:
I heard an NPR story some years ago about an experiment concerning the power of prayer. I can't remember who conducted the experiment.
More comprehensive follow up studies have been negative.

It made great copy for a while. Some believers will proselytize about this still, but that's not science.

Science moves on.

Old 07-29-2004, 12:05 PM   #18
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Mark Walsh wrote:
I've experienced some pretty cool Ki tricks but to me that's not the magic of Aikido. What is? Random examples:

Getting to know people from all over the world in all walks of life.
Forgetting about the day of work you've just had.
Rediscovering your body.
Finding a set of principles that can apply to and improve anything.
An alcoholic learning to overcome their problem.
An abuse victim being given the confidence to lead a happy life.
A dad getting to know his kid properly.
However Aikido transforms you personally.

That said and done, being abloe to pull and truck attached to your balls is a wicked party piece!

Mark
x

Excellent post about the real magic of Aikido. I loved it, but I think I will avoid getting talked into that party trick !!!!!!!!!