Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
"The trouble with aikido" by Wayne Muromoto

Posted 2012-02-15 14:32:25 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://classicbudoka.wordpress.com/2...e-with-aikido/

Here's an interesting blog article entitled "The trouble with aikido" by Wayne Muromoto listing some of his thoughts regarding aikido based on his past experiences in the art.

From the article: "One person in my circle surmised, 'Well, I think the problem here is Ueshiba Morihei himself (the founder of aikido).' He explained: a lot of people see videos and illustrated techniques of Ueshiba as an old man throwing people around with a flick of his wrist, and they think they're Ueshiba. They're not. Ueshiba spent decades and decades refining his concept of aiki theory to a point where he could do that."

Old 02-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: "The trouble with aikido" by Wayne Muromoto

Posted this to Facebook a couple of days ago, along with the follow-up about Koryu.

Wish I'd written it myself!

Best,

Chris

Old 02-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Cliff Judge
Japan

He posts this in 2012?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
He posts this in 2012?
I must have missed something - what do you mean?

Best,

Chris

Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Wayne's writings are always a good window into budo subjects. As a friend and colleague, I find that he's motivated to help anyone that's searching and trying their best to travel "on the budo path" to find their way. He's also got a great dog that loves to share with everyone also... :- )

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote: View Post
Wayne's writings are always a good window into budo subjects. As a friend and colleague, I find that he's motivated to help anyone that's searching and trying their best to travel "on the budo path" to find their way. He's also got a great dog that loves to share with everyone also... :- )
Still owes me a couple of copies of Furyu though - I miss that magazine, it was beautiful.

Best,

Chris

Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Still owes me a couple of copies of Furyu though - I miss that magazine, it was beautiful.

Best,

Chris
Still miss Furyu. Now I am sad...

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 02-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
I must have missed something - what do you mean?

Best,

Chris
Why is the existence of aiki-divebunnies and the brainwashed sensei who "throw" them remarkable anymore? Particularly by someone who doesn't do Aikido, but has been somewhat adjacent to it for many years?

Probably its just fluff. He needed to make a blog post on something, figured, "eh well I can bust on Aikido, haven't done that in awhile."
Old 02-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Why is the existence of aiki-divebunnies and the brainwashed sensei who "throw" them remarkable anymore? Particularly by someone who doesn't do Aikido, but has been somewhat adjacent to it for many years?

Probably its just fluff. He needed to make a blog post on something, figured, "eh well I can bust on Aikido, haven't done that in awhile."
In that sense, was it ever remarkable? Minoru Mochizuki commented on much the same thing back in the 1950's...

Still the fact that it's so prevalent (and such a problem) today makes this, IMO, entirely relevant. Especially most people probably think that he's talking about the other guys.

Best,

Chris

Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Still the fact that it's so prevalent (and such a problem) today makes this, IMO, entirely relevant. Especially most people probably think that he's talking about the other guys.

Best,

Chris
How prevalent is this really? And why is it a problem?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
How prevalent is this really? And why is it a problem?
The kind of things he's talking about? Pretty common, although I'd have to guess at percentages.

OTOH, I'd say that most places have at least some serious foundational problems with what they're doing.

Is it a problem? To me, personally, maybe not - but to Aikido as a whole? Big problem, I'd say.

Best,

Chris

Old 02-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #12
Alic
Dojo: Sokushinkan Dojo, Vancouver
Canada

Not very prevalent in Shodokan (Tomiki),Yoseikan, Iwama-ryu and Yoshinkan. It's really mainly the Aikikai and Ki Society that has this problem. Frankly, if you focus so much on the philosophical aspect of Aikido, you are gonna run into this problem eventually. Not everyone is there for the martial art, but rather for the martial art. You can't really understand the philosophy without training, but not everyone realizes or even cares that in order to truly understand the Aiki, you must master the art as a budo first. This is why you have folks that only understand a bit of the philosophies, but none of the techniques and skills.

I'm a firm believer in the basics and the power of the skills. Without good technique, no one will believe you anyhow. O-sensei arrived at his revelations through hard training, and all the other famed masters gained prominence from their Aikido, not their speeches. If O-sensei could only talk of Aiki, but couldn't show it to the people that challenged him, then he would've been forever labelled as "the crazy old man that trains on the mountain". It is because of his divine techniques that caused so much attention to be placed on him, and thus the art grew larger than himself alone.

This kind of Aikido isn't really true Aikido, and will not help to spread O-sensei's message. I would love to see these Aikibunnies go up against some of Shioda's or Tomiki's students. Maybe that'll teach them to train more and talk less
Old 02-17-2012, 03:57 AM   #13
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
Alic Xie wrote: View Post
Not very prevalent in Shodokan (Tomiki),Yoseikan, Iwama-ryu and Yoshinkan. It's really mainly the Aikikai and Ki Society that has this problem. Frankly, if you focus so much on the philosophical aspect of Aikido, you are gonna run into this problem eventually.
Itīs intresting that this post comes just a few posts after

Quote:
In that sense, was it ever remarkable? Minoru Mochizuki commented on much the same thing back in the 1950's...

Best,

Chris
Old 02-17-2012, 04:31 AM   #14
Alic
Dojo: Sokushinkan Dojo, Vancouver
Canada

I don't quite understand what you mean Peter, is it that I got it wrong somehow?

I don't mean to diss Aikikai or Ki Society, especially when there's so many powerful masters in there (does not promote a long life). However, especially with large organizations, you are going to have some improperly trained and over-ranked dojocho's out there, and the problem is when they try to show their "Aikido", and people thinks this is true Aikido.

I am worried about the condition of the art, as most traditional martial arts communities are. The modern world really only promote budo as combat sports, and so schools that don't compete like traditional Aikido and many asian arts is gonna have problems with quality ensurance and student recruitment. I don't want to break O-sensei's order of forbidding competition, but I don't see any other way to ensure that the sensei's are all up to par...