Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Mooelcow
United_States
New to aikido: 2 questions; ki aikido and manhattan dojos

Hello all iam new to aikido and ive been looking around the site for some time grabbing up all the great info floating around this site. that said i got a few questions about some of the Manhattan Dojos. Does any one have any opinions about the ones not on the Dojo search function such as Ko Ku Shi Budo Institute or any of the others. Also feel free to share any thing about any of the Dojos that are listed! I intend on visiting as many as i can this weekend (unless i fall in love with one) and im just bored and trying to learn as much as possible.

Also can any one enlighten me up to the ki Aikido style. Personally i find that i don't like it as much as the other styles of Aikido. I watched a few randori's in the Ki style and it wasn't as appealing to me as other things i have seen. Can any one explain to me the big difference ( i don't know much so your going to have to explain as if i was a child).

Thanks in advanced for any help and keep up the great posts in general!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States
Re: New to aikido: 2 questions; ki aikido and manhattan dojos

Hi Julian and welcome to AikiWeb. I would recommend you to take a free class at the New York Ki Aikido. You'll either sign up that date or move on to a different one. Ki development is an intergral part of the aikido and ki extension are developed along with the art. There are different levels of randori in the Ki Society. Brown belts up to shodan are mostly lapel grabs. Higher levels involves different attacks and of course corresponding throws. I've been doing Ki Aikido for over four years so I'm still new.

Try a free class.

Larry

Plus Ki
Old 12-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Joe Jutsu
Dojo: Currently relocating
United_States

Quote:
Julian Mendez wrote: View Post

Also can any one enlighten me up to the ki Aikido style. Personally i find that i don't like it as much as the other styles of Aikido. I watched a few randori's in the Ki style and it wasn't as appealing to me as other things i have seen. Can any one explain to me the big difference ( i don't know much so your going to have to explain as if i was a child).

Thanks in advanced for any help and keep up the great posts in general!
I agree with you that I've seen some piss poor representations (in my not-so humble opinion) of Ki Society Aikido on youtube. It may behoove you to go watch a class at a local Ki Aikido dojo, but that experience will give you only a limited perspective of what Ki Aikido is. Like any style or martial art, there are some really good schools out there, probably a lot more poor schools though. FWIW I found this video the other day, and I think it's pretty good. But I will admit, I'm extremely biased towards Sensei!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxpvIAZ5Mfo

If you have specific questions there are many on this site more qualified than me to answer them.

Best of luck to you!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Harm-ony
Dojo: Unisba Aikido Club
Indonesia

Hi Julian, I hope you can find what you want. Ki Aikido must be experienced directly it is hard to judge only by seeing not experiencing, so I think you can test the sensei first before you join the dojo...

Peace and Love,

Aikido Indonesia Bandung Sceptic

Old 12-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
graham butt

http://www.aikidoofmanhattan.com/

This is a website for an aikido class in manhattan, I highly reccommend visiting it even for one class.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:23 AM   #6
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Graham Butt wrote: View Post
http://www.aikidoofmanhattan.com/

This is a website for an aikido class in manhattan, I highly reccommend visiting it even for one class.
Sensei Juba Nour is top notch!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:37 AM   #7
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Quote:
Julian Mendez wrote: View Post
... Personally i find that i don't like it as much as the other styles of Aikido. I watched a few randori's in the Ki style and it wasn't as appealing to me as other things i have seen.
!
To each, his own.

If you dislike Ki Aikido (or any other M.A. \ style), go and find something else. I think it is important that you already observed that to be YOUR PERSONAL TASTE rather then some inferiority of this style or that.

Why insist on something you dislike?

Amir
Old 12-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Julien:

There are two dojos in New York City that are taught by direct students of O'Sensei.

One is New York Aikikai. Yamada Sensei and Sugano Sensei teach classes there.

Shin-Budo Kai: Imaizumi Sensei teaches there. He was not only a direct student of O'Sensei, but was head of Ki Society in the Unites States before he became an independent teacher. I have been a direct student of Imaizumi Sensei for over 20 years now.

Bond Street Dojo: ASU dojo (associated with Saotome Sensei) has a lot of senior teachers there, although no direct students of O'Sensei. That is another very good place to train.

I would frankly go as close to the source/founder as possible. Try all of the dojo's for that matter. I have a markedly different opinion of Sensei Nour than the other posters and would not recommend that you go there if you are looking for "Ki."

Marc Abrams
Old 12-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
Mooelcow
United_States

Thank you for every one who replied you have giving me a lot to think about! Ill be checking out a few of the schools this weekend ill def. check out ki aikido before i pass judgment.

Also ill be poping into Shin Budo kai this weekend with my woman so if any of you will be around and dont mind chatting me up let me know .