Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-11-2002, 06:57 AM   #1
MaylandL
Looking for Advice on Conducting Seminar Session

Hello all

I am in need of some advice. Here's the story. My sensei was invited to conduct a session at a Friendship Seminar (Aikikai, tomiki, yoseikan and aikibudo will be represented) in about 10 days time. He accepted but has subsequently injured his back and is unable to train and teach until he's healed. So he's asked me fill in for him and represent him at the Seminar (what is colloquially called in Ozland as "being dobbed in").

In and of itself no biggie because I sometimes have to take class at my dojo except that most of the dojos in Perth and their Chief Instructors will be at the Seminar to take sessions, do demonstrations and train while other instructors are doing their sessions.

These people will have a darn sight more experience than my 9 years and will be at least 3rd dan and above. While some of their students will have less experience than me I'm not sure that I can add any value to what these instructors already know.

I guess I can look upon this as a challenge and a wonderful opportunity. Frankly, it scares the living buhjeezus out of me despite a healthy dose of support and encouragement from my sensei and the convener of the Friendship Seminar who has his own dojo. I don't want to disappoint my sensei or his confidence in me but I don't want to screw up either.

Any advice on what I can do to make sure I don't make a fool of myself and put sensei in a bad light is welcomed and actively encouraged...please

Happy training all

Last edited by MaylandL : 09-11-2002 at 07:06 AM.

Mayland
Old 09-11-2002, 07:15 AM   #2
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
How about "Break a leg" ? If you decide to do the training session that's my good wishes to you - otherwise and in a more litteral sense it's a way to get out of the dilemma.

But seriously: you are about to show what your dojo stands for. Explain the situation, do your best and select the part of your 'repertoire' that you are most comfortable with. You are not there to impress everybody with 'superior' technique, but if you do a decent job you should earn a lot of respect for living up to the challenge.

I think you should go for it.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 09-11-2002, 07:16 AM   #3
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Hi Mayland. I had a similar situation last friday where I was put on the spot at our regular visit to an affiliated Dojo. I was originally slated to teach as the regular Sensei was on holiday, however one of our senior instructors agreed to come down. Thinking he was going to take the class, I took my place in line only to be told that I was still taking the class! This senior instuctor (4th Dan) was the first person to ask me on to the mat (jeans and T shirt on my part... eleven years ago)so I was naturally afraid of making a fool of myself in front of him. Anyway, I stuck to my original plan of a structured exploration of Avoidance, Balance, Control. Afterwards I was congratulated on an enjoyable class.

In the final analysis, anyone on the mat is there to train, whether they learn something new or not.

Just stick to your plan, relax and "she'll be right mate".

Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 09-11-2002, 07:24 AM   #4
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Smile

Having never been to a seminar (first one this sunday in stoke-on-trent) i could not really offer any advice accept, dont panic.

off the top of my head, i'd assume that your not the only person of your stylee of aikido to be going to the seminar, yet i see from your post that there are other stylee's going therefore logic dictates (not really having a place anywhere) that you could maybee take your students and throw them around using a set pattern?

maybee figure out some moves that look good and are fun and get the ppl at the seminar trying them, baring in mind that whatever you do it will be different to the way that ANYBODY does it because everyones stylee is different.

But most of all DONT PANIC (this should be in large friendly letters)

btw stylee is just a stuuupid thing i cant get out of my head whenever i say the word stylee!

yoroshiku

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 09-11-2002, 12:37 PM   #5
SeiserL

United_States
IMHO, stess the basics, teach it like its a home class, and have a good time.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-13-2002, 11:05 AM   #6
MaylandL
Hello everyone

Thank you for the kind words. I think I was caught off guard by my sensei (not the first time by any means).

I will be leading the session and since I will be first up, I'll be doing a series of very basic techniques that stress posture/centre, movement and sensitivity to Uke's energy and balance. Its probably going to be from katate dori with emphasis on irimi and/or tenkan movements.

I'm going to take a leaf out of Mr David Organ's book and set up a brief lesson plan and then rehearse the techniques with the person who will be Uke.

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks to let you know how it all went.

Till then, happy training all

PS:

Any suggestions for techniques or exercises are also gratefully accepted.

Mayland
Old 09-21-2002, 09:04 AM   #7
MaylandL
Just thuoght people might like to know. Things went well

Guess it wasnt as daunting as I thought it might be. As my wife would say...on numerous occassions..."told you so"

Anyway thanks for the advice and suggestions.

All the best for training.

Mayland