Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #126
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: AikiWeb Workshop 2009: March 20-22, 2009 in Seattle WA

Hey, I had a fantastic time even if I had to skip a few sessions for family and business. Heck, my physical therapist would have killed me if he knew I was doing it at all. But, hey, that's what muscle relaxants are for, right?

I had a blast. Great to put faces and voices to the soundless names and typing on forums. And it is truly great to get on the mat and learn so much from the three great instructors (even if Toby did embarrass me a bit -- he's much too kind).

I was struck by something at a couple times during the seminar. I've told people many times that appreciation of antique Japanese swords isn't learned on line, from books, or from youtube. You can look at pictures, read forums, but until you see a few really good swords in person with someone guiding your way you really have no idea what a good sword is. 10 minutes with the real deal in your hand is worth a year of solid reading. I was struck with the exact same sentiment repeatedly during the seminar with each instructor. How many quantum jumps in knowledge and insight happened during that weekend? I know I'm coming home with a lot I'm still chewing on... 6 pages of typed out notes and counting at this point...

It is good to get outside my comfort range every now and then. Very good. And *very* enlightening.

And I forgot my camera... So I hope people will share their photos.

Finally, a huge thanks to Jun. That seminar is what it is all about in the end. I wasn't sure how it was going to gel with three such diverse instructors. But it did. And the participants stepped up to the plate as well. But none of it would have happened without Jun's patience and persistence. Thank you, Jun.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #127
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

CONGRATS JUN !

Sounds like everyone had a great time.

Howard
Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 PM   #128
mjhacker

Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States

Thanks to everyone who had anything to do with this. To those I was lucky enough to get hands-on with, thanks. To the others, maybe next time.

Michael Hacker
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Renshinkan
http://renshindojo.com/
自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館

The Language of Aikido
http://thelanguageofaikido.com/
Old 03-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #129
Aaron Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

I wanted to take this time to thank Jun for organizing this workshop and for inviting me to participate. I believe his efforts to break down barriers within the Budo community will bear fruit and I am grateful for the opportunity to contribute to that goal. I also wanted to thank Kimberly Richardson Sensei for providing her beautiful dojo to us for this event and making us feel at home. Wow, that place is a dream come true! It was a real honor and pleasure to share the mat with George Ledyard sensei and Toby Threadgill sensei. I look forward to many more years of fellowship and friendship with you both. I was very impressed by everyone at the seminar and the level of ethical training I observed. I appreciated everyone's willingness to try new things, think in different ways, and take care of their partners. All of you represented your schools and your teachers with excellence. I look forward to the next one!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #130
jrowe
Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States

Thank you to everyone that made this the great event that it was.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #131
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Ya know, it is funny. After that weekend of instruction by Toby, Aaron and George, I find it very difficult to post to many of the threads on the forum. It seems so "limited" in comparison to the experience of learning direction with such diverse people. And by that I mean both the instructors and the participants.

And in retrospect there were a few people I really wanted to say thanks to. The young lady I spent some time discussing music and swords with at dinner from (I think) Clark's groups. It was great talking with you but also a joy watching you practice with your fellow students, especially when you were working with Will S (nice to meet you in person finally, Will). I only got to pair up once with her, but I was seriously impressed with her abilities. And of course it had to be something we never do in our style so I felt like a dyslexic hippopotamus... Oh, well, that's what learning is about.

To George Ledyard, I am sorry, I was going to leave you contact information on my sword stuff as you had asked, but I had to miss the last session and I completely blanked on getting you information before I wandered out the door. Mental overload on my part. My contact info is in my sig here in this post.

And a thanks to Walker for his patience with me on the bokken disarm. I can be a bit slow sometimes.

Someone, please, post pictures. I forgot my camera at home and I know there were some photos being taken. I'd love to have a memento...

Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #132
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

I really enjoyed observing during this past weekend and getting a chance to meet and visit with both old friends and meet new people.
I know it's obvious, but it's really hard for me to not be on the mat.

I understand your enjoyment spending some time with Amanda, Keith; I've known her for many years now. She is very serious about her training. BTW, I sent Jun 75 photos this morning.

I think the sort of workshops that Jun has sponsored on several occasions now are very powerful and I look forward to more. I see way more similarities than differences between longtime budoka and we certainly can learn from each other.

Best regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 03-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #133
Toby Threadgill
United_States

Hello,

Sorry about my delay in posting but I’ve had a very busy week.

I want to thank Jun Akiyama for organizing the Aikiweb Workshop and inviting me to participate. It was a pleasure to share the venue with the likes of George Ledyard sensei and Aaron Clark sensei. I’ve known George for years and always enjoy him immensely. Aaron Clark sensei was only an aquaintence previously but after this event I consider him a good friend and highly admired budo technician. What more can anyone ask of such a venue.....

Efforts like this are fortunately becoming more accepted. They cross boundaries, open minds, and dispell myths, while providing practitioners of budo a diverse experience to draw upon. It’s easy to stay safe in the familiar surroundings of your own pond but in my experience, the depth of budo is best appreciated outside familiar walls where confidence and an adventurous spirit is allowed to flourish.

I suggest that everyone try to attend events like this from time to time. It really is a great opportunity.

Regards,

Toby Threadgill / TSYR