Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
dps

Advice from your sensei.

I would like to know some of the advice that your senseis have given you. It does not have to be the "best advice' but advice that has had a positive effect on you. If you could also please say how long ago the advice was given.

My first sensei, approximately 20 years ago, told me, " You ask too many questions, just shut up and do it." This was before the Nike commercial.

David
Old 05-29-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Advice from your sensei.

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote:
I would like to know some of the advice that your senseis have given you. It does not have to be the "best advice' but advice that has had a positive effect on you. If you could also please say how long ago the advice was given.

My first sensei, approximately 20 years ago, told me, " You ask too many questions, just shut up and do it." This was before the Nike commercial.

David
LOL! I think both of my teachers would say that to me too! My sensei back in the states has given me advice by way of a story. This is meant to show the attitude of someone who wants to make budo a way of life I think.
Our lineage comes from a family style of jujutsu. The father of my sensei's sensei was close to death and his son didn't want to train so he could stay with him instead. His father told him he must train. When he came back he had passed away.
This has always struck me deeply. On one hand, a day of training seems paltry compared to the final moments of a loved one's life. On the other hand, considering a person who has lived a full life and the dedication one might want to have with regard to continuous self-improvement/refinement, I can see how it might be considered more important to focus on living life as best you can, even in the face of death.
After the death of my own father, this story has held deeper meaning. For quite a while I became somewhat frozen...I stopped moving forward in life. Now, I think it's important we always strive in that forwardly direction; toward positive growth, even when faced with the threat of profoundly sad or otherwise negative things.
Gambatte!
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I think the advice that sticks with me and means the most to me right now is "know your body". In light of discussions here and elsewhere in relation to "body skills", unusual strength, different kinds of conditioning (things that you typically don't get from weight training)...this statement from my teacher in a style which has a very strict outward form and very rigorous training weighs on me a lot. He didn't say "know uke's body", he didn't say "learn about form", he didn't say "watch me", he said "you have to know your own body", and he's actually repeated this several times. In relation to technique, and in relation to healing injuries, and in relation to training as you get older.

Another teacher (same organization) recently stressed "relax as much as possible while maintaining the form". I have always found form and relaxation as two polar opposites. I would go one place to train in a relaxed manner and another to train form. I would try to bring the two together and fail a lot.

Recently I have had much more sucsess on both fronts...getting to know my body and getting to relax inside the form. Lot of work left to do... The strange thing is that I don't think I am hearing anything new...just listening more now.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-30-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

"No. Again."

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

"You choose to be offended."

"No one can 'make' you angry."

He understood perspective and personal responsibility in an amazing way.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

When I started to catch on to judo as a kid; doing stuff the easy way instead of struggling I was frequently at a loss for words. My Sensei would ask what technique I had just done (during randori free play). She did this for a period of weeks, and I dutifully answered each time. The time I could not answer, and sheepishly admitted 'i don't know', rather than being upset she smiled widely and said, "Very good, continue."

Nonverbal Sensei.

dave
Old 06-01-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
ksy
Malaysia

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote:
LOL! I think both of my teachers would say that to me too! My sensei back in the states has given me advice by way of a story. This is meant to show the attitude of someone who wants to make budo a way of life I think.
Our lineage comes from a family style of jujutsu. The father of my sensei's sensei was close to death and his son didn't want to train so he could stay with him instead. His father told him he must train. When he came back he had passed away.
This has always struck me deeply. On one hand, a day of training seems paltry compared to the final moments of a loved one's life. On the other hand, considering a person who has lived a full life and the dedication one might want to have with regard to continuous self-improvement/refinement, I can see how it might be considered more important to focus on living life as best you can, even in the face of death.
After the death of my own father, this story has held deeper meaning. For quite a while I became somewhat frozen...I stopped moving forward in life. Now, I think it's important we always strive in that forwardly direction; toward positive growth, even when faced with the threat of profoundly sad or otherwise negative things.
Gambatte!
Matt
hey matt, yes, thanks for reminding me. focus on living life, even in the face of death. cheers!