Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-30-2004, 05:12 AM   #1
Chris Birke
Ukemi

I seriously want to get my ukemi up to this level. I think it's amazing what our body is capible of; it's as though we've forgotten.

http://smokinn.fathamburger.com/files/monkey.wmv
Old 03-30-2004, 09:54 AM   #2
mantis
yeah, wait till they turn 40!
Old 03-30-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
IF... that is for real, and I have no idea what to make of it all, those guys could easily be on the verge of the latest/greatest "Extreame Sport/Generation X Sport."

Jackie Chan meets the Matrix !! LOL

Pretty cool footage, interesting to watch, but VERY scary to contemplate doing.

2 cents.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:29 AM   #4
Jason Mudd
Dojo: Suffolk Institute for Eastern Studies
I think it's called "Urban Thrashing" or something along those lines.

People treat the "urban jungle" as an obstacle course.

All I can think is that an injury is only a couple of moments away. But you do get to feel like Batman for a while. And that's pretty nice, itn't it?

I break the surface so I can breath.
I close my eyes so I can see.
I tie my arms to be free.
Have you ever been free?
- Fugazi
Old 03-30-2004, 10:34 AM   #5
Paul Melsness
Dojo: Ottawa Aikikai
Canada
Like watching skaters doing board tricks - I wonder how many spills and twisted ankles were involved in the making of that film.

Fun to watch tho'

Paul
Old 03-30-2004, 10:50 AM   #6
thisisnotreal

leParkour

More insanity HERE!

Those guys are called 'LeParkour'

My absolute most dreaded clip is this ONE.

Can the body really absorb this much?

apparently, yes. yes it can...

nutz.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:56 AM   #7
William Westdyke
Dojo: Aikido at the Center
It reminds me of a cartoon I once saw in the paper. It had a bunch of small kids lined up for karate class and one has raised his hand to ask a question of the instructor. "When do we get to learn the mid-air slow motion stuff?"

On a more serious note. How can you relate that in anyway to aikido ukemi? If a person really wanted to get to that level they should be working on their gymnastics.

"You, not anyone else, is 100% responsible for your own happyness and wellbeing." -- David Robertson
Old 03-30-2004, 11:49 AM   #8
paw
Quote:
IF... that is for real,
It is. Do a web search on "Joe Eigo" or "multi level moves" for similar....
Quote:
On a more serious note. How can you relate that in anyway to aikido ukemi?
The development of physical attributes: coordination, strength, power, flexibility, balance, toughness, etc.... Does aikido change with someone that athletic?

On the other hand, there clearly is a law of diminishing returns if someone's goal is aikido. At some point, the time spent learning a backflip is time that cannot be spent working on ikkyo...and the skill development in learning the backflip doesn't transfer to aikido.

Regards,

Paul
Old 03-30-2004, 12:13 PM   #9
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Hi Paul,
Quote:
Does aikido change with someone that athletic?
I'd think with someone that strong, balanced and flexible, my aikido had better be spot on...and yes, that would be a change for me...
Quote:
At some point, the time spent learning a backflip is time that cannot be spent working on ikkyo...and the skill development in learning the backflip doesn't transfer to aikido.
I see what you mean...but say you have that level of control over your body...wouldn't that be a huge asset? You yourself often talk about using modern sport methods in aikido...I'll bet if you had 10 students with that level of control over their bodies, who also had a serious desire to learn aikido, you could probably make a real serious impact on the level of aikido in your area...

Ron
Old 03-30-2004, 12:15 PM   #10
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi
There was a TV programme about it here in the UK - they called it "free running", and the group were shown touring various famous London buildings - quite impressive.

http://www.channel4.com/entertainmen...J/jump_london/
Old 03-30-2004, 12:24 PM   #11
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
I've seen these guys on TV before. They make some money as stuntmen and they do nike commercials too.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 03-30-2004, 12:53 PM   #12
paw
Ron,
Quote:
I see what you mean...but say you have that level of control over your body...wouldn't that be a huge asset?
Absolutely, which is why I bought a pair of parallettes and spend a few minutes a day working on different stuff.
Quote:
You yourself often talk about using modern sport methods in aikido...
Yes. I strongly advocate doing so and will continue to do so.

However, that's tempered by my being an athlete....as such I'm concerned about results, and the bottom line is you don't have to be able to do a standing back tuck to be really, really good at aikido.

Take kickboxing for example.... As far as I know, there's no rule against doing a jumping, spinning, triple kick to your opponent's side. But the time spent to learn to jump, spin and triple kick a resisting opponent would be better spent in just learning to kick them in the side. It wouldn't be as fancy, but it would be effective, efficient and has a long, proven track record of working.

Does that make sense?

Regards,

Paul
Old 03-30-2004, 01:14 PM   #13
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Oh, I certainly would never recommend the double flashy jumping spinny whatever...I'm just talking about the level of control these guys have. Add to that some decent training in a martial art, and you have a pretty good thing.

Ron (ex-psudo-athelete here)

Oh, what's a parallettes?

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-30-2004, 01:37 PM   #14
paw
Ron,
Quote:
I'm just talking about the level of control these guys have. Add to that some decent training in a martial art, and you have a pretty good thing.
Yup!
Quote:
Oh, what's a parallettes?
Small, hand-held parallel bars (see This image ) for a visual. You can make your own for a few dollars, or buy "power pushups" from a local fitness store (I went to Sears -- $10) or pay $100 for really nice ones from a gymnastics store.

Regards,

Paul
Old 03-30-2004, 01:53 PM   #15
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States
I've seen this urban jungle gymnastics thing before. It is pretty cool. I would pay good money to see the 'training video' or the 'bloopers video'. Ouch!

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 03-30-2004, 02:21 PM   #16
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Hmmm, if memory serves me correctly, I'm pretty sure I have video of Ron doing ukemi like this during an enbutakai. In hakama.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:40 PM   #17
Chris Birke
I think people have a very fuzzy grasp of what the human body is capible of. It is much safer to err on the don't try it if it looks dangerous side.

Taking these falls wrong would kill you instantly.

Yet, it's possible. I think it's philosophic.

On a practical note, they always do what's needed to land feet first. Something I (and many ma's) neglect to do on the comfort of a mat.

No, it's not about kicking someones ass or surviving the attack of the angry biker. (How many of you really think you train for that?) It's about reaching places within yourself. Embrace everything like this!
Old 03-30-2004, 04:11 PM   #18
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
If you watch the feet of the guy doing the back flip off the "tall outhouse" it appears as if he is landing on some pretty soft ground. That's probably why he walked away.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:15 PM   #19
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Quote:
Chris Birke wrote:
No, it's not about kicking someones ass or surviving the attack of the angry biker. (How many of you really think you train for that?) It's about reaching places within yourself. Embrace everything like this!
It's not?!? Dang .... Need to go call my sensei and ask what's up with that.

Old 03-30-2004, 07:25 PM   #20
alepkin
The sport in question here is in fact Le Parkour (approximately translated to `the obstacle course'), also sometimes called Freerunning in English speaking countries. For a good primer about the sport and some of their philosophies, I would recommend checking out Urban Freeflow. This is a group of guys out of Great Britain, and some of them are really good. The founder of the sport, David Belle, has been at it for 20+ years, and I believe is also a well-regarded Wushu practitioner. Plyometric training is a big part of conditioning your body for such falls; clearly your knees are relatively at risk here. Personally, I think the philosophies of many traceurs (le parkour practitioners) dovetails nicely with that of many aikidoka.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:13 PM   #21
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Oh, to be that young and "springy"!

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 03-30-2004, 10:21 PM   #22
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Hey Chris!

I saw alot of gymnastics. But where was the ukemi?

Old 03-31-2004, 01:24 AM   #23
Chris Birke
Oh, doh, guess I goofed. What does ukemi mean?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:25 AM   #24
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Ukemi translates to receiving body. Uke is basically the guy who gets done and the techniques he uses to do that safely are called ukemi.

So purists would argue that without a doer (tori/nage/shite) there can be no doee (uke) and therefore no ukemi.

However, we do practice our ukemi skills solo and also use those same skills when the tori/uke distinction gets lost in sparring. I'm perfectly happy calling safe falling under any condition ukemi.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-31-2004, 03:06 AM   #25
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom
I think that ukemi means escape in Japanese -- although, I could be wrong since my Japanese is basic.

But it seems to make some amount of sense. Shite is trying to do a technique that may injure uke -- say irimi nage does end up throwing someone on its back. On a mat, that's not too bad, on concrete it can hurt. Seen in that light, ukemi is just an escape from shite's attack.

*shrugs*

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido