Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
Dothemo
Dojo: Canberra
Australia
Digestion before class

Hi Aikiweb,

I have a question regarding digestion before class. I suppose I am trying to put this in a rather mild way but I have noticed that if one is a bit "gassy" (even if you didn't realise beforehand) before class, ukemi will sometimes bring it out in loud and embarrassing fashion!

Has anyone discovered the best way to avoid this? For example, how much time should you leave between eating and class? Is it prudent to avoid particular foods?

I have noticed in my class anyway that when it occurs on the uncommon occasion to myself or fellow students - that everyone is polite enough to act like nothing has occurred and to pay it no mind.

Thank you for your thoughts on this!
Old 09-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States
Re: Digestion before class

I do one of the following depending on my mood:

1) Pretend it didn't happen.
2) Laugh
3) Tell everyone to beware my mighty ki!

If it's only occasionally, who cares? But if it bothers you, you can try to eliminate gas producing foods. Unfortunately, lots of things can produce excessive gas, not just the usual beans/cabbage/whatever. Plus a lot of it depends on your body. At worse you might need to try an elimination diet to find out what affects you.

Also, there are over the counter medications that can reduce gas. Not sure what name brands are available in Australia.

All things considered, if it's just once in awhile it's the price of being human. Don't worry about it. We all do it. You're doing physical activity, not partaking in a State dinner with the king of WeHateFlatulanceLand.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #3
sorokod
United Kingdom

Martial arts smell of sweat and farts, that's just how things are- get over it.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:57 AM   #4
PuppyDoggie
Canada

I've unfortunately done that once when I was taking ukemi for someone's 5th kyu test. Loud and audible. I saw others smile and chuckle, while others (and sensei) just pretended it didn't happen. It's not a big deal unless you make it a big deal.

My digestion will be very different from yours so I cannot suggest which foods to avoid; only you and your stomach would know.

I always avoid eating anything solid for about 2 hours before I come to an aikido session. I do this not necessarily to avoid passing gas during class (it probably does though!), but to avoid feeling the food roll with me as I roll... :S