Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #51
budokid
Philippines
Re: Tracing my Philippine Aikikai Roots

Sorry Raul, but honestly, I don't understand what you are talking about...your choice of words ... too profound ...

Quote:
Raul Roldan wrote: View Post
Forums like these are really a great way to exchange ideas, information, facts. Especially in this case, as the intent, it seems to me is to sort of evolve an accurate picture of Aikido history in the Philippines. As diversity is typical in this world, I can glean that a microcosm of that is also reflected in the evolution of aikido in the Philippines. It is not altogether unusual that there would be contractions and expansions; divisions and coming together. People have personalities and with that, perceptions, opinions and even, how we feel about ourselves; yes, differences abound.

Obviously, some have emotional investments with certain groups. This is not unusual either. Certain things drive us and we feel good about certain affiliations.

Why I premise my thoughts with the above is to convey that you are all actually in an open forum and totally exposed to the rest of the world. If you are mindful of that, you'd be more mindful in your choices of words. It's like what they say about emails you want to send in the heat of the moment. Try to read it first and send it to yourself and see how you feel. It also allows you to be more specific and precise with your language.

Aikido is quite evolutionary; I think all learning are. I cannot be sure if I am right in this but I think that the Japanese mode of learning Shu-Ha-Ri sort of reflects that. At Shu stage, you follow the form given you. I sometimes just call this the mechanics of techniques. Following that is the Ha stage where you learn to internalise what you learned. The Ri stage allows you the experimentation or the adaptation of what you learnt to what best suit your temperament, body structure, and what other factors that is you. So, really in that sense, there is no such thing as corruption of aikido. Every time a new person takes up aikido it is likely that he will develop his own aikido over time. Affiliations, teachers, fellow practitioners, strangers can provide you with experience of their aikido; you can glean from them what fits yours and you take it from there. But to say, aikido has pure form is not really quite correct. So, I guess what I am saying here is there's really no point I arguing about matters of affiliations, certificates or what-not. Since someone started this, just provide the facts and hopefully, even how fractious it is, it can at least give us the picture of how aikido in the Philippines evolved and we can honour everyone who played a part in it.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:13 AM   #52
carlo pagal
Dojo: iloilo aikido dojo
Philippines

greetings from the iloilo aikido dojo! here is our contribution to this thread.

Sensie Valencia started practicing aikido in the early 50s in Asan Point Base in Guam under Sensie Harry Eto, with Sensie Kalama and Sensie Sasaki as other instructors. Sensie Valencia was the only Filipino promoted to a rank of Shodan, date was 23rd May 1965, later that year Tohie Sensei visited Guam wherein he actually chose this Filipino as his sparring partner during demo's and seminars, that same year,Tohei Sensei noticed the large number of enthusiastic Filipinos practicing the art. Henceforth, with the mandate to propagate the art, Sensie Valencia was chosen to officially introduce the art of aikido to the Philippines, considering he was the only Filipino Shodan at that time. Apparently Valencia Sensie declined, and this prompted the Board of Directors of Guam Aikido Club( Sensie Valencia was one of the members) to promote another Filipino to an Honorary Blackbelt. and thus, the seed of aikido in the Philippines started.

In 1967 he was promoted to 2nd Dan and he instructed classes in the Hawaii Aiki Kwai, the Marianas Aiki Kwai as well as the Guam Aikido Club. During 1968, Sensei Francisco Valencia with Sensei David Kalama and Sensei Roger Sasaki were conducting classes for about 70 members at the Asan dojo in Guam, Marianas Island.
At that period he was also conducting classes for the Roxas Aikido Club(the first aikido club in guam).

By 1970 he was already promoted to 3rd Dan and in 1974 he was promoted to the title of 4th Dan.

When he went home in the Philippines, he taught for a short while in YMCA Iloilo and in a dojo in Mandurriao, a town in Iloilo. And in 1991, he founded the Iloilo Aikido Dojo in Villa, Iloilo.

He passed away last year leaving Ramon "Jack" Tentia, one of the few students awarded by Sensei Valencia with a shodan title as the head instructor.

We have photographs of persons synonymous with Philippine Aikido... Photos were in black and white but you can tell they wore colored belts, and their instructor is no other than Valencia Sensei. pls visit aikiloilo.bravehost.com

We hope this helps...
Old 05-27-2008, 05:12 AM   #53
judojo

Dojo: Ju Dojo
Location: 349 MALVAR STREET, DIPOLOG CITY, 7100, ZDN, PHILIPPINES
Philippines

Dear Shihan, Sensei and Aikidoka, We love you all. The topic the Philippine Aikikai Aikido is the truth and though we Aikidoka practice same Aikido Dojo Reigi.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #54
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Dojo: Yuugou Aikido Kaisho
Philippines
Lightbulb Re: Tracing my Philippine Aikikai Roots

Hi Carlo,

Thank you for the Info. It's nice to learn about Philippine Aikido's Inside History through Valencia Sensei's eyes. I'm also glad that The practice of Aikido is well nurtured by our brothers in the south.

Iking
Old 05-27-2008, 06:53 AM   #55
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Philippines

Hey Guys, just discovered this...check it out.

http://www.geocities.com/manila_aikido_club/index.html

Hi Loreto,

I hope this helps. Have a good day.

Iking

Last edited by Enrique Antonio Reyes : 05-27-2008 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Incomplete link
Old 05-27-2008, 07:11 AM   #56
carlo pagal
Philippines

Quote:
Enrique Antonio Reyes wrote: View Post
Hi Carlo,

Thank you for the Info. It's nice to learn about Philippine Aikido's Inside History through Valencia Sensei's eyes. I'm also glad that The practice of Aikido is well nurtured by our brothers in the south.

Iking
You are very welcome Iking. Please let us know if you or your friends have any questions regarding Sensei Valencia. We'd be more than happy to answer them to the best our knowledge. Pls visit our website at aikiloilo.bravehost.com. Or you can also ask Sensei Camar or Sensei Galarpe, they know him.

Iloilo Aikido Dojo
Old 06-03-2008, 03:20 AM   #57
budokid
Philippines

I guess that pretty much tells everyone how Aikido has been with us since the 60s. I just hope that practitioners in the Philippines should appreciate more our Aikido heritage and give the proper respect due to the TRUE pioneers of Aikido in the country. There are other practitioners out there that might have dan ratings higher than our pioneers. But one thing is sure - the pioneers were already yudansha even before any of us were born thus the proper respect for them.

For some reason, the Philippine Aikido culture now gives more importance to the Japanese than they do our pioneers - all eager and scrambling to see them teach the same thing over and over again. And yet not once, not even once, were our old senseis like Sensei Camar and Sensei Valencia ever been called and invited or given recognition.

I still yet to see a book about the true history of Aikido in the Philippines.

Best regards to all,
John
Old 06-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #58
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

Greetings fellow pinoys! As aikido is non-resistance, can’t resist disseminating another important Phil aiki history that every practicing pinoy should be aware of.

Regardless of style and affiliation, an aikido club since 1956……
Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 AM   #59
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Philippines

Quote:
Romuel Villareal wrote: View Post
Greetings fellow pinoys! As aikido is non-resistance, can't resist disseminating another important Phil aiki history that every practicing pinoy should be aware of.

Regardless of style and affiliation, an aikido club since 1956……
Thanks Romuel, I actually wanted to train with them but unfortunately their gym is in quezon city which is quite far from where I am (taguig). One-Aiki tayo pare ko!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #60
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

On May 22, 2004, my Sensei organized a "Day of Harmony" to honor the pioneers of Aikido in the Philippines. In preparation for this he travelled to Manila (he lives in Urdaneta, Pangasinan, more than 3 hours away) to personally meet and invite Talag Sensei and Gavileno Sensei.. He also met with Alejo Sensei, Lapus Sensei and Reyes Sensei, and sent one of my dojomates to personally invite Camar Sensei.
At the event, only Alejo Sensei and Reyes Sensei arrived. But the intent to honor all the pioneers of Philippine AIkido was there.
You can learn more about this event and see some of the pictures taken on this website:

http://freewebs.com/dayofharmony/

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 06-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #61
budokid
Philippines

This is great. I wonder why the Manila-based dojos haven't thiught of this. I hope that this becomes a yearly activity.

Quote:
Inocencio Maramba wrote: View Post
On May 22, 2004, my Sensei organized a "Day of Harmony" to honor the pioneers of Aikido in the Philippines. In preparation for this he travelled to Manila (he lives in Urdaneta, Pangasinan, more than 3 hours away) to personally meet and invite Talag Sensei and Gavileno Sensei.. He also met with Alejo Sensei, Lapus Sensei and Reyes Sensei, and sent one of my dojomates to personally invite Camar Sensei.
At the event, only Alejo Sensei and Reyes Sensei arrived. But the intent to honor all the pioneers of Philippine AIkido was there.
You can learn more about this event and see some of the pictures taken on this website:

Old 06-05-2008, 06:56 AM   #62
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Philippines

That's a great and noble gesture. I salute your sensei Doc Cito (by the way we are related to marambas from pangasinan).

Too bad the others did not follow suit. I have met Reyes Sensei recently (were not related) and I believe he's a sincere, honorable guy.

One-Aiki-Movement!!! Sana matuloy natin ang nasimulan 4 years ago...Kahit every four years gawin...parang olympics...
Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #63
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Quote:
That's a great and noble gesture. I salute your sensei Doc Cito (by the way we are related to marambas from pangasinan).

Too bad the others did not follow suit. I have met Reyes Sensei recently (were not related) and I believe he's a sincere, honorable guy.

One-Aiki-Movement!!! Sana matuloy natin ang nasimulan 4 years ago...Kahit every four years gawin...parang olympics...
Really? Then we're related, because my Father's family is from Pangasinan (Sta. Barbara)...
Salamat a balbaleg, pinsan!

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 06-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #64
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Philippines

Quote:
Really? Then we're related, because my Father's family is from Pangasinan (Sta. Barbara)...
Salamat a balbaleg, pinsan!
On the dot! My great grand parents (father side) hails from Sta. Barbara.

There's a close cousin of my dad in sampaloc. I used to visit him in his house. My dad calls him manoling. He's a lawyer.

We also attended a "sort of" grand meeting in Larry Henares' house last year. Were you there?...
Old 06-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #65
budokid
Philippines

OK. If everyone agrees about how great that "day of Harmony" was then why not everyone contribute and initiate another "day of Harmony" this year and every year thereafter. I think that's the only thing that is lacking. But it would be better that the largest dojo organizations in Manila should initiate it.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #66
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Thanks Romuel, I actually wanted to train with them but unfortunately their gym is in quezon city which is quite far from where I am (taguig). One-Aiki tayo pare
ko!
I also live in Taguig, maybe we can get together before the year end. BTW, BP guys are in Fort Bonifacio - near your area.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:54 AM   #67
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Philippines

Quote:
Romuel Villareal wrote: View Post
I also live in Taguig, maybe we can get together before the year end. BTW, BP guys are in Fort Bonifacio - near your area.
Sure pare ko. sa ususan ako. I checked the dojo list here and yest BP is indeed inside Fort Boni.

Will check them out one time. Sana may per session lang...

Mr. Budokid, mukhang MAC, FFA and the PAPA groups ang dapat mag-organize nung harmony day. (in close coordination with Sensei Batobalani since he is the originator of this activity...sana lang represented lahat dito...

Carlo (iloilo) would you guys be up for this?

Iking
Old 06-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #68
budokid
Philippines

It appears that Aikido groups in our country will never get to be reunited at all. Looks like no one is taking the initiative to do this. I was expecting actually the leadership of the biggest groups such as MAC, FFA, PAPA and AIkiPhil to initiate and show the good example since they are the ones who are connected with Japan HQ - they have the machinery and resources for this.

Thanks for the Urdaneta group who had the guts to do it.

... mukhang MAC, FFA and the PAPA groups ang dapat mag-organize nung harmony day. (in close coordination with Sensei Batobalani since he is the originator of this activity...sana lang represented lahat dito...

Iking[/quote]
Old 06-15-2008, 07:18 AM   #69
carlo pagal
Philippines

we'd love to take part of such an event. just tell us when and where.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #70
nodmines
United_States

Quote:

"Yep, I also heard about arnold's comments. I personally saw the dismay of camar sensei when he got wind of it."

Hi Sensei Iking,

Rei! Just to be clear, I profoundly respect Sensei Omar. It was never my intention to disparage or blacken his reputation and I apologize if my comments two years ago rubbed him the wrong way. I was merely expressing my personal opinion that had he continued affiliating with the Aikikai governing body, we would not have these Hombu-snobs questioning the legitimacy of our Aikido.

With regard to the 8th dan issue, my point was that he should have been more forthcoming as to the granting body. Would you put MBA on your letterhead if you didn't go to B school? I hope you get my drift.

To reiterate, I meant no disrespect. I even uke'd for him on hard pavement lots of times because I believe in his Aikido. Lastly, I respect you too, Sensei Iking, because you introduced me to the art. Peace to all.

Best regards,

"arnold" (in lower case)
Old 06-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #71
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Philippines

Quote:
Arnold Mina wrote: View Post
Quote:

"Yep, I also heard about arnold's comments. I personally saw the dismay of camar sensei when he got wind of it."

Hi Arnold, if you read closely and trace the previous statements I was referring to your statement about the blackbelts who used to demonstrate for takemusu. Nothing about you questioning the rank of Sensei Camar. Bandmate! Classmate! Aikimate! regards kay Sensei Matsuoka...

Hi Sensei Iking,

Rei! Just to be clear, I profoundly respect Sensei Omar. It was never my intention to disparage or blacken his reputation and I apologize if my comments two years ago rubbed him the wrong way. I was merely expressing my personal opinion that had he continued affiliating with the Aikikai governing body, we would not have these Hombu-snobs questioning the legitimacy of our Aikido.

Pare ko, in a way I share your sentiments. I agree with you. Again, my quoted statement above refers to another topic and is not about you : )

With regard to the 8th dan issue, my point was that he should have been more forthcoming as to the granting body. Would you put MBA on your letterhead if you didn't go to B school? I hope you get my drift.

It is encouraged now to put the school after your title
like...

Enrique Antonio B. Reyes, DBA (DLSU, Phils.) something like that masyado lang mahaba...

To reiterate, I meant no disrespect. I even uke'd for him on hard pavement lots of times because I believe in his Aikido. Lastly, I respect you too, Sensei Iking, because you introduced me to the art. Peace to all.

My respects to you as well...again...the quote refers to another topic and not about you questioning the rank of Sensei Camar.

Best regards,

"arnold" (in lower case)
Pare ko there is a grave miscommunication between us. Please see the comments I typed in bold letters
Old 06-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #72
nodmines
United_States

Dear Dr. Iking,

Congratulations on your DBA!!! Kudos to you my classmate, bandmate, drinking buddy, fellow UST Honor Guard and my brother in art of Aikido and Arnis...(gasping for air)...

I am glad we got that out of the way. I hope you are doing well in everything. Rei!

All the best,

Nod
Old 06-22-2008, 06:08 AM   #73
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Philippines

Quote:
Arnold Mina wrote: View Post
Dear Dr. Iking,

Congratulations on your DBA!!! Kudos to you my classmate, bandmate, drinking buddy, fellow UST Honor Guard and my brother in art of Aikido and Arnis...(gasping for air)...

I am glad we got that out of the way. I hope you are doing well in everything. Rei!

All the best,

Nod
Pare ko I'm glad that you read my reply. Baka kasi two years uli bago mo mabasa eh baka matabunan na uli and might trigger another miscommunication. Please bear in mind that we have been friends for a long time and it would really be a huge matter for anything to taint our friendship. I'm glad we got in touch.

I'm not yet done pare ko (example lang yun) I'm done with my academic requirements and I am reviewing now for my comprehensive exam. Afterwards I will begin writing my dissertation. I am hoping to finish my mid-2009.

Are you practicing there already? (law)

Best wishes to you and your family.

Guys, sorry for posting this here. I should have sent Arnold a private message.

Iking
Old 07-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #74
Cynrod
United_States

Quote:

Kumusta to all. I just have a question that I have in mind that I want to ask. Is sensei Reyes from Olongapo City? If he is then maybe he is related to my fraternity sister Tess at the FEU in the late 70's. One more thing also,,, I met a guy in San Diego by the name of Mar DeLeon in the early 90"s and he told me that he came from the Philippine Aikikai Dojo. Anyone knows Mar DeLeon? The last time I went down to San Diego his dojo was not there anymore.

Well, just dropping by also to say hello to all fellow PINOYS .
Old 07-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #75
Mannix Moya

Dojo: Quezon City Aikido Club
Philippines

Quote:
Sure pare ko. sa ususan ako. I checked the dojo list here and yest BP is indeed inside Fort Boni.

Will check them out one time. Sana may per session lang...

Mr. Budokid, mukhang MAC, FFA and the PAPA groups ang dapat mag-organize nung harmony day. (in close coordination with Sensei Batobalani since he is the originator of this activity...sana lang represented lahat dito...

Iking
Iking,

Sama ako diyan! I'm a student of Jun Carandang Sensei, from time to time Senseis Dundee, Sonny Empleo, Alex Padilla, and Patrick Marquina would drop by sa dojo and play with us.