Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #26
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States
Re: Aiki Doh's

Anyone else besides me ever hit yourself with some part of your uke? Like the uke's elbow to the face during ikkyo?

Once a couple weeks ago we were practicing techniques from an attacker while seated at a table. Well, I got a little enthusiastic and threw everything I had into my attack and nage took me over himself in a variation that could best be described as a "yonkyo-nage" and resulted in a full face-plant+shoulder lock on myself about 6 feet from where I left the ground.

The best one is from about a year ago now. I was doing MMA/BJJ stuff with a friend who had a fight in a few weeks. He was working a spider-guard on me and I shot in to try to prevent the armbar I saw coming only it wasn't an amrbar.... Turns out he was trying for a triangle and thrust his hips up at the same time I went down. This led to me getting my nose busted on his cup. So far that is about the most painful-amusing thing that has ever happened to me.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:59 PM   #27
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
Anyone else besides me ever hit yourself with some part of your uke? Like the uke's elbow to the face during ikkyo?
Close. When I followed Larry Bieri Sensei to a seminar he taught in Cincinnati, I was working with one of the senseis on Irimi nage and I kept brushing his knee when I took ukemi. Anyone who has seen that old photo of O Sensei doing a "bone crushing" version of Irimi nage knows the implications of that, but I don't think that's what Larry Sensei wanted us to work on!
Old 08-11-2005, 09:40 PM   #28
Tenor_Jon
Dojo: FSU aikido club (??)
United_States

let's see, my very first day in aikido club, I left my keys in the room and had to waitt 45 minutes after it was locked up (we practice in the basement of a gym) to get someone to unlock it. Needless to say, I had learned my "ikkyo".
Old 08-12-2005, 08:10 AM   #29
maeukemi
Dojo: Kyushinkan dojo - Roswell, GA
United_States
Eek! Re: Aiki Doh's

Someone would probably excuse my lack of experience (I've only been training for 4 months) on this one, but sensei didn't!

We were doing bokken dori and I was winded. Had just finished a round as uke and was (Trying) to stand up when I forgot completely what one's supposed to do with a bokken when you're going from seiza to standing... other than, not drop it... I knew that... so I ended up leaning on it... sensei waited until I'd gotten up, then turned around and said "if Sensei sees you using bokken as a crutch, you're in trouble." I have heard "sensei growl" repeatedly but now have finally seen "that look".... Why do I think it won't be for the last time??
Old 08-12-2005, 09:34 AM   #30
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
Anyone else besides me ever hit yourself with some part of your uke? Like the uke's elbow to the face during ikkyo?.
I've hit myself with my own training weapon ... while leading a class ...with sempai sitting the peanut gallery

Thankfully they were very kind not to laugh before making sure I was okay
Old 08-12-2005, 10:27 AM   #31
Amendes

One student who was a bit clumsy where I train accidentally broke one of the big mirrors. There was glass all over. He and a few seniors went to clean it up.

The student who broke the mirror felt really bad about breaking the big mirror, and started to sweep it up. As he was sweeping crouched over, he sat directly on a piece of mirror which was pointing out of the mats. He jumped very high.

Everyone chuckles about that one now because its finally been long enough.

Last edited by Amendes : 08-12-2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:49 AM   #32
dyffcult
United_States

Does training too fast in jo saburi with your high ranked partner who hits you in the leg because you weren't experienced enough to block his attack (yes, he pulled it in time and I only had a bruise) ... and thereafter watching your partner get chew-out by sensei because he was training beyond his partner's ability count as a doh when you were the one to encourage your partner to proceed faster?

Fifteen years later I still feel bad about this. I only had a bruise for a few weeks. He was good enough to pull at the last minute when he realized my block was not in place. (Else I think I would have had a brokken leg) I have always felt bad that he got chewed out because - I - was the one that encouraged him to go faster and faster.

Brenda
Old 08-13-2005, 06:02 AM   #33
Ilja Leonard Pfeijffer
Dojo: Shi Zen Ryu
Netherlands

Kiai coming out of the wrong side of your body.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:11 AM   #34
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States

Quote:
Ilja Pfeijffer wrote:

In my first few classes a very nice sempai was teaching me the correct way to do backward rolls.

Have you ever noticed how those unexpected and unwelcome kiais seem to love going off when you're upside down?

Sempai was "directly in the line of fire."
Old 08-13-2005, 12:00 PM   #35
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States

lol Dan.....*shakes head*......no comment
Old 08-13-2005, 02:16 PM   #36
Mats Alritzson
Dojo: Malmö Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
Ilja Pfeijffer wrote:
I've experienced that, during meditation in yoga class.

In Aikido I've been kicked in the head by uke when doing kotegaeshi.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:18 PM   #37
Simbo
United_States

Quote:
Eric Webber wrote:
Thankfully they were very kind not to laugh before making sure I was okay
Its completely ok to fall down and roll around on the floor laughing when somebody wacks themself, after you make sure they're ok. As a pratical matter anyway, I'm sure blood's not the easiest stain to clean up
Old 08-27-2005, 07:25 AM   #38
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

got a bit full of myself for doing my bvreakfalling ... and im inthr run up to my grading .... doing the techniques with sensei .... and did a rather nasty breakfall from kaitenage .... sat on the mat at the end ... sensei's just looking at the me .... shock leaves and tears start setting in .... sensei takes me to hospital ... im sat in the exmination room ... with the nurse and nurse practitioner ...
Nurse Practitioner "how did you do this?"
Me .. "well I was doing some falls in Aikido."
Nurse Practitioner "so ... are you any good?"
Male nurse (laughing) ... "blatently not ....
Id get over the shame .... but I fancy this guy ... and I work with him in my hospital .... now I have to endure endless teasing ... and still have to wait another two weeks until I get to go training again!
moral of the story .....
U ARE NEVER SAFE!
emma aka DORY!

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 08-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #39
Eric Webber
United_States

Leading a bokken class, working on kokyu/musubi movement - spiraling with the weapon for significant power; partner is standing seigan position - tip pointed to my eyes, I come from hasso gedan, enter in with a great KIAI!!!! .....and miss his bokken .... I am left standing in front of the class staring at the tip of my partner's bokken; he didn't flinch, nobody moved (it was a good kiai).... and I look at my bokken like it has a hole in it. Most embarrassing.....
Old 08-30-2005, 07:55 PM   #40
Camille Lore
Dojo: Lehigh Fukasakai
United_States

Sounds like Aikido in Reading is fun!
Old 08-31-2005, 06:24 AM   #41
Satyre
Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

I have had a similar experience with the Kiai from the wrong end...

kneeling, listening to my instructor explain ikkyo, feeling the increasing pressure of my passion-for-garlic induced read-end Kiai building and building...

The effort involved in not exploding was causing me to sweat and maintain an expression of extreme suffering and seriousness.

Unfortunately my instructor interpreted my unusual glowering for scepticism and took me to task... *sigh*

Most embarassing was allowing myself to be catapaulted into O-Sensei's kami in the middle of a large seminar...
Old 08-31-2005, 09:25 AM   #42
Eric Webber
United_States

Quote:
Camille Lore wrote:
Sounds like Aikido in Reading is fun!
Tons of fun! Lots of laughs both on and off the mat. If you're ever in the area please come visit, and of course bring your dogi .
Old 08-31-2005, 10:36 AM   #43
taras
United Kingdom

The following just couldn't come out any worse that it did. Disclamer: in the conversation described below I meant pubic bone.

My sensei and I were talking about hara and where it is positioned and not thinking at all I came out with 'That is why you've got a bone there to protect it!'
Old 09-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #44
Satyre
Germany

Doh #1

Was training with an absolute beginner yesterday... doing sankyo.

She was lying there on her face, the hold was beautiful, I increased the pressure. Increased it some more. I was feeling good about myself. More pressure. I'm thinking "Man, she's flexible". More pressure. I'm thinking "Wow."

My instructor saw the look on her face, raced over and spoke to her in most urgent tones:
"You can tap out at any time!"

In a very strained voice she replied
"Oh, am I allowed to do that?"

Poor instructor couldn't help but laugh: She had big staring eyes like bulging dinner plates, about to pop out of her head, sweat beading on her forehead. But her body had remained wonderfully relaxed.

Maybe you had to be there, but I thought it was funny.

Doh#2:

Tonight I stood on uke's foot and performed irimi nage. Uke fall down and wimper.

Doh#3:

Training with Sergei.

Sergei is a really nice, albiet, mad Russian, ex-military to learned combat sambo. He ist 1st Kyu. He elicits kiai's of pain from his ukes. His idea of ikkyo is to tear off the arm and bludgeon his ukes into submission with the wet end.

His idea of tekubi is to crush the wrist in a vice-like grip, and destroy the lower arm by digging his fingers mercilessly into the nerves and tendons.

I refuse to ever go near him as uke ever again. It took nearly two weeks for my forearms to stop hurting.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:48 AM   #45
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

@Benjamin:

Doh#1 funny for you, not for your uke. Maybe she can laugh about in a few months' time.

Doh#2: inappropriate atemi - bad boy. But shit happens

Doh#3: try to talk to Sergei. Even Russians are able to listen. And later you have to learn to take ukemi, i.e. take the torn arm and leave with a smile . Really the softer you are the less he can hurt you. But there is no need to feel permanently like your uke #1.

Dirk
Old 09-02-2005, 03:41 AM   #46
Satyre
Germany

I did talk to my Russian friend. Trying to explain the concept of pain to him and that his technique hurt from to first touch to the final squeeze.

It didn't work. The only way to reduce the level pain an suffering when working with him to is be a woman.

This thread could turn into my diary. If I get through a single training session without a major "doh" I'm proud.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:17 AM   #47
dyffcult
United_States

Very enthusiastic night of training...don't remember the technique, but my partner expected me to take the breakfall and threw me so hard I almost rolled out the front doors of the dojo....I caught myself at the last minute. DOH!

Sensei commented that I needed to practice my ukemi.

Started practicing breakfalls the next day :-)

Brenda

Last edited by dyffcult : 09-19-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:01 AM   #48
dyffcult
United_States

If Takemusu based....

Never, ever ask what weapons have to do with aikido.

Brenda
Old 09-24-2005, 09:08 PM   #49
theflyingheadbuttsuplex
Dojo: Aikido Institute Davis
United_States

A somewhat annoying side effect of knowing how to kiai (from the mouth >:-( ) is I will often involuntarily kiai when sneezing. This can easily surprize bystanders!

If there is no wind, row!
Old 09-24-2005, 09:18 PM   #50
samurai_kenshin

Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro
United_States

Quote:
Burt Masem wrote:
A somewhat annoying side effect of knowing how to kiai (from the mouth >:-( ) is I will often involuntarily kiai when sneezing. This can easily surprize bystanders!
good one.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
-Barry LePatner