Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #51
aikidoka81

Singapore
Re: It's getting annoying..

Quote:
David Santana wrote: View Post

my previous dojo has A LOT of yudanshas so they take turns on taking charge of the new people. and the Sensei didn't bother with the new people too much, because most of the people that came there were really prepared to train and learn hard. so they actually listen and remembers what were shown in the front(just 4 times for each technique, 1 left and right omote, 1 left and right ura). we were basically taking care of ourselves most of the time.
That's what your sensei should do. He should get the seniors to take turns teaching the newbies. While a senior is teaching newbies, the other seniors can get the training they need. That's what my dojo does. Talk nicely to your sensei about your problem and suggest that the seniors take turns teaching the newbies so that all the seniors get the training that they need. A newbie must pair up with a senior so that the senior can guide them. When I was a newbie and I paired up with another newbie, we were both clueless and didn't know what to do. We were all newbies once, we all needed seniors to teach and guide us otherwise we'd be so lost. If my seniors were unhappy and impatient when teaching me, I wouldn't be happy either. I might have even lost interest and been scared off.

Aikido The Gentle Martial Art http://www.squidoo.com/aikido3
Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #52
Alberto_Italiano

Quote:
ever since I passed my yudansha exam, Sensei has asked me to teach some of the classes and that made me unable to train as hard as I wanted to. and it's been almost six months since Sensei started asking me to teach the classes..

I'm really tired of teaching beginners in my current dojo. I had to hold back when doing a technique with them, thus I don't get the exercise I came to train for (they can't do a decent ukemi because my dojo focuses more on teaching them how to be a nage, instead of uke). I don't get to improve my timing because I have to stop in each movements to show them to the students..

I just love the feeling when I can do a technique with correct timing and flow. I've actually been having a bad mood if I couldn't spend 2 hours throwing and getting thrown at least every other day. maybe it's the endorphine or something.. I also want to be able to train as hard as I can when I still have the energy and time for it, instead of wasting my time teaching people who don't even really have the passion for aikido. they said that they want to exercise. but instead of training hard, most of them just chat on the mat. it really pisses me off and make me want to leave them and pair up with other senior students who I can apply my real aikido to and have the desire to learn and train hard..

english is not my first language so I can't describe my feelings very well but I hope that you get how irritated I'm feeling. I'm actually considering taking up capoeira and taekwondo to get the exercise I wanted that Aikido can't provide me.

I believe that some of you have had this kind of feeling/experience before so I'd really like to hear how you handled it..
I think I would be ok with you as a teacher.
My ideal teacher does not teach - he beats me up, throws me, and never illustrates one single technique, and never speaks one word, and just makes one gesture at the beginning of the lesson meaning: attack me ruthlessly, stupid monk!
1 hour of pure fight. No pauses, no explanations, no directions. Nothing. Just fight.

I go back home with my ideas very confused. I am aching. And most of all very humbled. I cannot place one thing right. I realize I am really mr nobody. I lay on the bed staring at the ceiling feeling how inferior I am. I realize I am worthless at aikido.
I run in my mind over and over again all that happened. I see my mistakes, a few of them at least, and I try to envision many ways not to make them again, most of which will come out to be just other mistakes - new ones.

Suddenly, I realize that every other lesson, mistake by mistake, I am magicallygetting a tad better every time.

My teacher, in turn, can train freestyle.
Oh and there is no dojo. It's an open space, and the mat is sands. The weather does not matter - given day, given hour, we're there, who arrives first seizas and zenwaits.

Atharvaveda Aikido, Aikido in the Forests
Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #53
Meggy Gurova
Dojo: Chowa
Bulgaria

Quote:
... instead of wasting my time teaching people who don't even really have the passion for aikido. they said that they want to exercise. but instead of training hard, most of them just chat on the mat. it really pisses me off and make me want to leave them and pair up with other senior students who I can apply my real aikido to and have the desire to learn and train hard..
Hi David,
I see you got great advices. How is it going on now after some time? You wrote something about your first sensei and how the training was hard and he did not needed to show the techniques a lot of times- you just learned. Sounds like a great role model. Maybe you can think about whats the technique of his teaching and try to copy it.
Sounds like you are not happy with your own classes. I mean you are "the boss" you can create the perfect class exactly the way you want it to be. If you believe in your students they will prove you they can do more that you thought they could.
I think the way of training is only depending on the teacher. You are the one that have to create the level of training and the discipline. You can choose powerfully techniques in motion, train a lot of ukemi every class and encourage them to rase up from the tatami faster after being throne to increase the dynamic of the training and for them not to have time to talk with each other
Other thing that helps is when showing the technique to all of them to show it 1,2 or 3 times slowly just bringing up the most important things you want to point out then showing it 2-3 times fast the way it should be, then showing 1-2 times the uke part, and keeping to that method every time, so they have a kind of method they are used to see, and at the same time its keeping the dynamic of the hole training.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #54
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Alberto Italiano wrote: View Post
I think I would be ok with you as a teacher.
My ideal teacher does not teach - he beats me up, throws me, and never illustrates one single technique, and never speaks one word, and just makes one gesture at the beginning of the lesson meaning: attack me ruthlessly, stupid monk!
1 hour of pure fight. No pauses, no explanations, no directions. Nothing. Just fight.

I go back home with my ideas very confused. I am aching. And most of all very humbled. I cannot place one thing right. I realize I am really mr nobody. I lay on the bed staring at the ceiling feeling how inferior I am. I realize I am worthless at aikido.
I run in my mind over and over again all that happened. I see my mistakes, a few of them at least, and I try to envision many ways not to make them again, most of which will come out to be just other mistakes - new ones.

Suddenly, I realize that every other lesson, mistake by mistake, I am magicallygetting a tad better every time.

My teacher, in turn, can train freestyle.
Oh and there is no dojo. It's an open space, and the mat is sands. The weather does not matter - given day, given hour, we're there, who arrives first seizas and zenwaits.

Atharvaveda Aikido, Aikido in the Forests
Dear Alberto,
First let me ask how are you?Well I hope?Now a few questions 1.How many guys are in the class?2.What rank is your instructor and his lineage?3.Have you any reference other than your instructor that you are learning Aikido?
In my opinion simply getting a thorough bashing does not imply you are somehow getting better at aikido.My view is this.You need to train hard but train wisely.simply getting turned over by your teacher is in my mind counterproductive.Still if it works for you great.i can think of a quicker ways to acquire skills other than the above. Cheers, Joe.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #55
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

agree with Joe. with that logic, I should beat my kids everyday until they start behaving, then beat them a little more to ensure that it sticks...regardless of their actions and actual needs and psychology.

I have no issues with holding someone accountable and training hard, but it needs to be guided as well.

I do a pretty good job as a coach I think. I work hard with each student and try and adapt my training and teaching methods to them individually to help them develop the skills that I think are fundamentally important. Each one is different.

and yes, there are a few students that in the beginning, you can't begin to teach them until they are ready to learn and have actually followed the example Alberto presented. I call it "taming the wild mustang". I simply work with them until they are ready to learn...or the quit. Until they are ready to stop fighting and going all out...you can't really get to any true teaching and simply have to be patient and show them the error of their ways....God I love Marines!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #56
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States

I love some of the replies on here....

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido
Old 08-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #57
Richard Stevens
United_States

It seems like you don't enjoy teaching. Don't teach.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #58
Bengal107
Dojo: Aikido De La Montagne
Canada

if i were you i would change aikido dojo. there's nothing wrong with that...you could look around in your city and find a better one probably. sorry if that came off as blunt but thats what i would do. forget doing things for other people and seeming polite, get what you want out of your practice and don't waste time.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #59
TOMAC
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

In my dojo, where my wife and I are senior instructors, we ask 1st kyu and shodans to teach beginner classes. The reason we do this is that we believe that teaching a class of beginners is a good way for students at that stage of their development to organize their thinking with regard to basic technique. If you are so sure of yourself that you feel that the teaching experience is not helping you to grow then you should reexamine how you approach the art. After more than 35 years in Aikido I still have moments of doubt about technique and principles of Aikido. Also, I find it a challenge to present the basics in a way that doesn't confuse and helps beginners grow.

Finally, if you're Sensei has asked you to take on teaching duties you should be complemented that he/she has that much confidence in you. You should return his/her trust by concentrating on doing your very best. If you simply believe your Sensei is dumping on you maybe you should look for another place to train. Frankly, if I had a student who felt that way I would be glad to have him/her out of the dojo.