Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #26
Dave Gallagher
Dojo: Shobukan Dojo, St.Louis
United_States
Re: When did you start training in Aikido ?

perhaps 1989. I would have been 40 years old. Started training with Dave Lowry when he was teaching in a school district night education program. Later at the Shobukan dojo that can be seen here in a small clip of a video I shot in 1994:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-mv-TAKPs

Last edited by Dave Gallagher : 02-20-2014 at 08:43 PM.

It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:00 AM   #27
bret9665

Dojo: Shobu Aikido

Quote:
Salah Yousef wrote: View Post
Hey everyone this is my first post here. I am from Kuwait and am 22 years old and have no experience in Aikido or any martial arts. I would like to learn both Krav Maga and Aikido for fun and self defense purposes. I was wondering am I a late guy to start in Aikido ? Plus I will learn it when I turn 24 or 25 when I move to the U.S. or Canada. Wanted to know when did you start training, I mean at what age ? how long have you been training and what is your current rank
Krav Maga and Aikido? Talk about fire and water.....

I just started at the tender age of 47. Wish I could turn back the clock, but I'm grateful to have finally started something I wanted to do a long time ago.

Bret L
Student
Houston, Texas
Old 02-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #28
Dave Forde
Ireland

Quote:
Salah Yousef wrote: View Post
Hey everyone this is my first post here. I am from Kuwait and am 22 years old and have no experience in Aikido or any martial arts. I would like to learn both Krav Maga and Aikido for fun and self defense purposes. I was wondering am I a late guy to start in Aikido ? Plus I will learn it when I turn 24 or 25 when I move to the U.S. or Canada. Wanted to know when did you start training, I mean at what age ? how long have you been training and what is your current rank
Hi Salah
I started aikido at 33 I'm 8 years practising now and fitter than I was at 21 . the average age of beginners at our club is around 30ish so you are in no way too old to start training. in fact I think that in many ways aikido requires a bit more maturity than some other arts. it is a principle based art IMO as opposed to being very 'technique based' so a lot of patience is required to get to a point where it really works. that has been my experience anyway.
coincidentally I also took up Krav Maga for a few months this year. I enjoyed it a lot and it helped me to hone my attacks big time. my ability to strike and kick in a practical way with more flow improved a lot. many krav techniques are jujitsu based too so it compliments aikido in many ways. I did stop the Krav Maga after 5 months as for me aikido is more instinctive now and the crouched Krav fighting stance was just so different to the straight neutral stance my aikido instructor teaches. alsoI find the mindset for both arts is different. I just find the aiki mindset suits me better now. but each person will have their own likes. the main thing is to enjoy the journey and do what you find works for you.
have fun
Dave
Old 02-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #29
Brett_D
Dojo: Blue Mountains Ki Federation
Australia

Quote:
Bret Lynn wrote: View Post
I just started at the tender age of 47. Wish I could turn back the clock, but I'm grateful to have finally started something I wanted to do a long time ago.
I started almost a year ago, at the age of 46. I also would like to turn back the clock (especially with regard to a few parts off me that now get aches and pains they never used to), but I'm also grateful to have finally started.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #30
Walter Martindale
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
Canada

Started at 40 (but did judo from 18-26, rowing from 27-31, coaching from 32-present) and haven't had a dojo since 2011 - missing the aikido, fitness, and friendships.. 60 now.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #31
Rob Watson
United_States

The real trick is once you start then don't stop.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.

Please visit our sponsor:

Koretoshi Maruyama European Seminar - Maruyama Sensei will be in Cumbria UK, 1st-3rd August, 2014