Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
666pounder
Slovakia
How often do you train aikido?

Hello
I am new here
I decided to start training Aikido last year in December and it's very interesting
I want to know your opinion
How often do I need to train aikido at the beginning, I learned it good?
And how often do you train aikido?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
John A Butz
Dojo: Itten Dojo, Enola PA
United_States
Re: How often do you train aikido?

In the beginning, I recomend at least two classes a week. More then that and you may become overwhelmed, less then that and you will not retain what you learn as easily.

For the first 3 to 6 weeks, I wouldn't try to remember much of anything you are taught beyond ukemi. Try to stay moving and get generally comfortable with the environment. Keep your expectations reasonable and don't get discouraged.

Once you are basicaly comfortable, I recomend bringing a small notebook with you to class and trying to write down one thing a session; either a new word, a way of moving, a description of a technique, or something else you learned during each class.

The amount of training that is right for you may be different then what was right for me, so you will have to gauge how you are feeling and your comfort level as you consider whether to add more training to your schedule.

Personally, when I started practicing, I was in college and had no responsibilites beyond schoolwork, and so I was often at practice 4 or 5 times a week, plus extensive training outside of class. As I got older, between jobs, relationships, and sundry other responsibilities, I eventaully cut down to 3 or 4 classes. My current schedule consists of 4 days of training, Tuesday through Thursday and Saturday mornings.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Dear Lukas,

I started 2006 in October, and at the beginning I trained only on Saturdays. But then Aikido started to become addictive, and I added Tuesdays. After becoming 5th kyu, I thought, maybe it's better to train more and added Wednesdays. Then I realized how long was the interval between Wednesday and Saturday and added Thursdays.

And that's how it stayed. I try to go training four times a week; my kids go twice. And I try to go to a seminar once a month, but that's more difficult because I can only go to seminars in Brussels in order not to let the family alone too much. When being away for work, I try to find a dojo wherever the mission leads me (so I can offer interesting information, for example, there is no aikido dojo in Kigali... ), but that's part of the addiction, I fear.

I don't have the impression that training four times a week makes me advance faster than twice a week or that it keeps me fitter, but it certainly makes me happy.

Best regards,

Eva
Old 11-19-2008, 06:42 AM   #4
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

I train/teach six days a week, but, I have been training for 30 years. Sundays, I clean the dojos...

At your level, I would suggest three or four days a week. Each period of instruction at one and a half hour sessions. Do not take this as a norm, you will have to see how it works for you and decide

Train well,

Mickey
Old 11-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

I train 3 times a week. For 14 years.

IMHO, its how well you train when you are there, not how often that matters most.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Harm-ony
Dojo: Unisba Aikido Club
Indonesia

yes, it's not about how often but 'quality time'...
There are many practitioners of Aikido spend their times and energies with no quality in the dojo...
although they 'claimed' many years training Aikido, they just got a little from their training...
make every training valuable and meaningful, be serious and persistent....of course in 'relax' condition...
that's what I thought....

Peace and Love,

sceptic aikido bandung indonesia

Old 11-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
666pounder
Slovakia

Thanks all for your opinions
I train 3 times a week and every session has 2 hours..
I think we have got great sensei... after 3,5 months i had 6th kyu and now I hope I get 5th kyu soon
Old 11-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
CarrieP

United_States

I train between 2 and 3 times a week, sometimes less.

We have a very small dojo so not as much opportunity to train as some bigger places. Works for me since I'm still new to the discipline and am nursing a recurrent knee tendonitis.

But if I do miss a week, which sometimes happens when life gets in the way, boy do I feel the difference in how my body moves when I come back.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Carolyn Parkinson wrote: View Post
But if I do miss a week, which sometimes happens when life gets in the way, boy do I feel the difference in how my body moves when I come back.
True that! I've missed many weeks over the course of many years and while I always retain some ability, it's never like it is when I'm training regularly.
To the original poster,
I tie everything I learn to what little I know of neurology: the more you practice something, the more neurological connections you form, the more efficient you generally become at the tasks you practice (this extends into everything we do, which is why I personally appreicate the aspect of Aikido). Simply put: practice makes perfect. However proficient you want to get depends on how well you practice and practicing well means doing so with consistency and intensity.
Like was said, ultimately you have to judge for yourself, but my first couple years of Aikido I probably trained an average of 4 days a week. I often trained 5 or 6 days a week. I was also practicing things every chance I could get for a while, so I would practice hand taiso every hour or so, practice forward rolls in the parking lot on my lunch break, etc. Nothing quite beats hands-on with sempai or sensei, but I think it's important/useful to practice off the mat too.
As a side note, nothing drives home the importance of good ukemi like concrete.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
CarrieP

United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
nothing drives home the importance of good ukemi like concrete.
Um, ow. Though you've given me a great idea for a new thread now...
Old 11-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
lbb
United_States

I usually train 3 days a week, because that's all my schedule permits. One week a month is work-from-home week, and I often take advantage of that week to train four or five times, but I don't know if that much on a regular basis would help me. Three feels about right, four might work too...five (in combination with having a job, a life and a non-indestructible body) would probably be too much.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

3x2h per week in the dojo. Suburi and conditioning/other exercise 3 to 4 more days/week.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #13
Cynrod
United_States

I only train Mondays and Wednesdays, because those are the only days that my dojo is open. I think three to four days a week is the best way to go.

"For The Secret That The Warrior Seeks: You Must Know That The Basic Principles Lie In The Study Of The Spirit." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #14
Nathan Wallace

Dojo: VA tenshinkai
United_States

Quote:
Lukas Siarny wrote: View Post
Hello
I am new here
I decided to start training Aikido last year in December and it's very interesting
I want to know your opinion
How often do I need to train aikido at the beginning, I learned it good?
And how often do you train aikido?

Every second of every day for the rest of your life.

Cpl. P. N. Wallace

Kijinkan school founder & instructor
Aikijujutsu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage ryu kenjutsu
Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #15
David Paul
United_States

i make it to the dojo about once every 6 months. You should probably attend more frequently than that.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #16
patf
United_States

Monday 1hr with Murashige Shihan
Tuesday 2hr with Katz Sensei
Thursday 2hr with Katz Sensei
Saturday ~2hr with rotating Yudansha

I tried doing more than that but the body (and the family) couldn't handle it. I also used to do an additional 2hrs Iaido on Saturday but sadly I couldn't keep the commitment up.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #17
Mary Turner
Dojo: Joshinkan
United_States

Quote:
Patrick Fitzpatrick wrote: View Post
Monday 1hr with Murashige Shihan
Tuesday 2hr with Katz Sensei
Thursday 2hr with Katz Sensei
Saturday ~2hr with rotating Yudansha

I tried doing more than that but the body (and the family) couldn't handle it. I also used to do an additional 2hrs Iaido on Saturday but sadly I couldn't keep the commitment up.
I had the great joy of training with Katz Sensei a few years ago when he visited NC.

Here, my home Dojo has 1.5 hr classes Tues, Wed., Thurs. and Sunday.
I visit another dojo for 1 hr. Friday mornings.

I can't get enough!
Mary
Old 11-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #18
gregg block

United_States

Every day one form or another ,,
Old 12-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #19
curlytops
Philippines

For starters, have at least two to three days per week for training.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #20
Peter Bowyer

When I started...about 3 times a week. Now, 6 times a week although two of the days are double classes back-to-back so 6 classes in 4 days (Mx2, W, Fx2, Sa).

Minimum of 2 is neccessary to retain anything but on the flipside it's also possible to train too much when starting out. A couple years ago I went pretty hardcore when approaching a test date and subsequently became rundown and injured resulting in a three-month period where I maybe attended 15 classes total. Worst move of my life since it drastically slowed my progress.

Take it slow and steady...but with passion.

Also I agree with a lot of the earlier statements. Training doesn't only mean on the mats. You can breath, kokyu, focus, and center yourself at anytime. When you walk around, kokyu. When you watch TV for 1/2 hour, sit in seiza and breath with your center.

When you bow deeply to the Universe, it bows back. - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 12-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #21
B.J.M.
Dojo: Aikido of Center City, Philadelphia, PA.
United_States

It is now averaging between six and seven days a week.

Three of those days I am training twice a day.

At the age I'm at, which is mid-thirties, I am starting to feel it a bit in the 'ol body.

The soreness lasts longer and aches are starting where none were before. Hurray for getting older!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #22
CatSienna

Dojo: Ueshiba

as often as I can! Which amounts to 3x a week generally unless something crops up or the dojo shuts for some event since we are based in a community centre so get booted out every now and again for some community function.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 PM   #23
Mannix Moya

Dojo: Quezon City Aikido Club
Philippines

I can only train once a week. I'd love to make it 5x but priorities (family/work) are in the way.

Better than zero