Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
Neil Braithwaite
Dojo: Houghton aikido club
United Kingdom
Smile Please help a keen beginner

Hi all

I do hope someone can give me some advice. I started aikido 4 weeks ago at what appears to be a very good dojo, Everyone is friendly and the instructers are patient and helpful.

any how

I seem to have rolled awkwardly half on and off the mat and have managed to crack a couple of ribs. I would like to know if there is anything I can do while I am out of action??

When I was trainining one of the senseis said I was tense and stiff and that I should loosen up when training, any ideas how to do this as I didnt realise I was.

And finally I feel I try to pay attention to everything that is shown to me but still feel awkward and cannot remember my feet position and hand movements and all these things at once, its like learning to drive again, will this come with lots of practice?? and as senseis yourselves do you think I am holding up the class and spoiling the training for the the other people in the class by making so many mistakes. I do really enjoy aikido and am looking forward to recovering from my rib injury and training again

Thanks for all your help

Neil
Old 08-21-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
Devin McDowell
Dojo: RA Centre
Canada
Re: Please help a keen beginner

"I would like to know if there is anything I can do while I am out of action??"
Get better, and go watch the classes. I wouldn't recommend training by yourself, as I've heard that can lead to reinforcing bad habits if you aren't very experianced.

"...will this come with lots of practice??"
Yes, just give it time.

"and as senseis yourselves do you think I am holding up the class and spoiling the training for the the other people in the class by making so many mistakes"
I'm not a teacher myself, but I think that most people would be understanding of your mistakes, given that you are a beginner. So in a word, no.

"I should loosen up when training, any ideas how to do this"
Conciously try to stay relaxed, and avoid tensing up. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
Justyn
United Kingdom

if you have'nt already you could buy one of the many books on aikido and read up on techniques and concepts while your unable to train, then you will remember a lot of it when it comes to your training
Old 08-22-2005, 05:24 AM   #4
Susan Marie

Neil wrote:
"do you think I am holding up the class and spoiling the training for the the other people in the class by making so many mistakes."

Neil,

Part of the learning process for sempai (senior students) is to help in the instruction of their kohai (junior students). Those who are open to it learn from everyone they train with no matter what rank they are.

Take care of your injury first, maybe do a bit of reading, and definitely watch class.

Good luck with your training.

"Those who are possessed by nothing, possess everything."
O'Sensei
Old 08-22-2005, 07:00 AM   #5
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

1. rowing exercise
2. tenkan exercise
3. be mindful of your hamni at all times (e.g. when pumping gas, or getting chow from the fridge)
4. be mindful of your footwork at all times (e.g. walking through the mall, or at work/school)
5. heal completely before going back on the mat.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:01 AM   #6
Simbo
United_States

I can't tell you much, since I'm fairly new myself. But what I like to do when practicing a technique that I'm not familiar with is be generous and take ukemi first, let them do the technique first. That way you have a couple of more chances to see and feel the technique being done (a front row seat to it really ). Also, regarding the paying attention and still having no idea. I've been attempting Aikido for about 6 mo now, and I'm just starting to be able to breakdown technique to be able to do them. For example, if it's said that you irimi, I don't need to focus (as much) on the feet, because I'll already have a (very) basic idea as to what they're going to do.

But I know how you feel about being worried about keeping the class back. I tend to wonder about that too, especially when we hosted a small seminar with a sensei from Chicago and everyone was in their dress dogi's and I was it sweats and a t-shirt. But that's just part of being new and making a fool of yourself with your lack of knowledge. Really, you should consider yourself lucky, while you're new, you have an all access pass to mess up as much as you want and people can just pass it off as inexperience

Happy training, get better.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:18 AM   #7
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Don't worry too much about holding up the class. When I teach new people, I'm reminded of how nervous I used to be. The act of training with new people will probably improve the foundation skills of your classmates,by being reminded of how they used to train. Keep at it.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:31 AM   #8
Neil Braithwaite
Dojo: Houghton aikido club
United Kingdom
Smile Re: Please help a keen beginner

Thanks for all the help and encouraging words i do appreciate it!!

With any luck I will be training again soon

Neil
Old 08-22-2005, 12:35 PM   #9
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

Get well soon!
Aikido is about observation, at least when you start exercising. So I'd say, attend class and carefully watch others practice. It may also help you to observe your teacher when he assists during practice.
You will be surprised how much you'd remember when you start practising again yourself.
Should you find the time to read a book on Aikido...
Old 08-22-2005, 12:49 PM   #10
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Neil,
Most people are stiff and tight when trying a new physical activity like Aikido. Just like you said, they usually don't feel it themselves. I find it interesting that kids are usually the opposite-too loose. The way to get rid of that comes with practice as you learn the new movements and begin to relax naturally. It's almost impossible to "make yourself relax". I wouldn't worry about it. The instructor is telling you that so you will recognize what tight is. When you do relax, he will be the first one to point that out as well. As for "holding up the class", this is a common concern of all beginners. I wouldn't worry about that either. It is true that when a beginner is in the class, it changes the structure of the class but not too much as to affect the others. I have 5 beginners in one of my classes now and that will affect the speed of the class and the type of techniques we do but that's a good problem to have. Most people remember what that was like. Just be patient and attend class regularly. The sooner you learn the basic movements, that percentage that you "affect " the class will rapidly lessen and eventually disappear. It's all a part of Aikido.
Best,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."