Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
Ari Bolden

Dojo: Victoria Jujitsu Academy
Canada
Seminars: You Get what you Give

Greetings all...it's been a while since I last posted.

Recently, I attended an aikido seminar hosted in my city of Victoria BC Canada (Frank Apodaca Sensei of Mid-Michigan Aikikai...which was fantastic by the way). I also brought 2 of my students with me. For those who don't know, I am a jujitsu instructor, teaching both Daito Ryu and Brazilian jj who also has 10 years of aikido behind him.

I regularly attend seminars when I can and try to bring some of my students along to get a feel for good and strong aikido.

My appreciation for seminars has changed over the years. When I began aikido in the late 80's and started attending seminars in the mid 90's, I never could understand why we were paying to do the same techniques in class with less instruction from the sensei/shihan.

Only after may years in the arts have I began to understand and truly appreciate seminars. You get what you give.

It is with a discerning eye that I watch the techniques and pick up the subtleties and "personalization of techniques" by the instructors. If I can bring back just 3 points from a 4 hour seminar, I am happy. It could be anything from how the instructor grips to tips of spinal control or kazushi.

The old adage of the "empty cup" is so true when one attends seminars.

However, one of the greatest benefits of seminars is meeting new people and other instructors. Ever see video clips of aikido (or jujitsu) people on the mats? There is a lot of smiling going on. Cliché as it may sound, it does make one feel good.

So, you get what you give.

My 2 cents
warm regards,
Ari Bolden
Victoria Jujitsu Academy

Old 10-24-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
crbateman

Re: Seminars: You Get what you Give

There is something to be learned from anyone, no matter how poor a teacher they might be, IF you are there to learn. The principle of "stealing the technique" applies. The "empty cup" might be a stretch for some, but accepting that ones cup "is not yet full" should not be difficult. And so much more is yet possible if the teacher is giving and exceptional. Seminars can't replace repetitive and continuous training under any instructor, but they can definitely "prime the pump" for continued improvement. I find them energizing, and as already stated, a tremendous opportunity to make new friends and renew old acquaintances.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ari Bolden wrote:
Greetings all...it's been a while since I last posted.

My appreciation for seminars has changed over the years. When I began aikido in the late 80's and started attending seminars in the mid 90's, I never could understand why we were paying to do the same techniques in class with less instruction from the sensei/shihan.

Ari Bolden
Victoria Jujitsu Academy
You are right, but don't forget that it is wise trust your first instinct. The questioning mind is the learning one, in my opinion.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:49 AM   #4
Luc X Saroufim

my trainer always tells me that if i keep doing the same exercises, my muscles will eventually get used to the movement and stop improving.

IMO, while i have a very strong dedication to my Sensei, i am trying to attend more seminars to get a different spin on Aikido.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

I think it must be very tricky running a seminar - trying to teach on so many levels simultaneously is difficult. What I have seen some instructors doing is explaining the basic principles, and then going around personally to more experienced students and giving them additional individual tips (sometimes that even seem contrary to what has been said in general).

I tend to look at instructors now in 3 ways - i. those who are teaching me what I know I should be doing, but I can't quite do it, ii. those that are teaching me something that I already know and have now disregarded, and iii. those who are teaching something novel or different which I don't understand (and am usually dubious of).

The 1st category tends to be the routine training we all do, the 2nd category are instructors I just wouldn't seek out, the 3rd category are instructors that may or may not have something to offer but its worth training with (e.g. at seminars) until you can put them into either category 1 or 2.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 10-25-2006, 07:39 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

Leave the ego and prior learning at the door.
Stay open and you will receive. It may not be what you expected.

Total agreement. You get what you give. And I like to get myself to seminars.

Compliments and appreciation.

Hope we can give to and get from each other some day.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!