Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-19-2005, 12:33 AM   #1
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Non-Japanese Shihans?

Does anyone know how many official non-Japanese shihans the Aikikai has? If you happen to know the names of these fine folks that'd be cool too

Thanks,

Bronson

p.s. Is there an English language web-page for Aikikai Hombu that lists such things?

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-19-2005, 02:44 AM   #2
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Non-Japanese Shihans?

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
Does anyone know how many official non-Japanese shihans the Aikikai has? If you happen to know the names of these fine folks that'd be cool too
Here's some...

http://aikidojournal.com/forums/view...ghlight=biraki

...haven't seen announcements since these...

Also--

Last edited by Don_Modesto : 01-19-2005 at 02:48 AM.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 01-19-2005, 06:04 AM   #3
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Only three Europeans I know are:

Christian Tissier 7th Dan France
Ken Cottier 6th Dan England
William Smith M.B.E. 6th Dan England
Old 01-19-2005, 07:55 AM   #4
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica

I'm assuming you mean Aikikai Foundation recognized Shihans.

Frank Doran and Robert Nadeau of the CAA are Shihans.

Bill Witt was also made a Shihan and I believe his new organization, the TAA, is recognized by Hombu, so I assume that he still retains the title.

The USAF-East website's seminar calendar now lists, to my surprise, four US teachers as Shihan: Claude Berthiaume, Peter Bernath, Donovan Waite and Harvey Konigsberg. Claude and Harvey were promoted to 7th Dan recently, while Peter and Donovan are 6th Dans. I'm surprised because I've seen no general announcement about this. Since the people who put up the calendar are careful about titles, I must assume that they are Hombu recognized Shihans.

I've had to use "assume" three times here because there's no real source online which gives any official list.

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 01-19-2005, 08:05 AM   #5
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States

Yes, all four of those folks were recently promoted to shihan.
Gaia

Old 01-19-2005, 08:07 AM   #6
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States

Also, in the USAF-W, Lorraine DiAnne was promoted to shihan last year.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
jimbaker
Antarctica

>Also, in the USAF-W, Lorraine DiAnne was promoted to shihan last year.<

Was that a Hombu Shihan license or one issued only by the Birankai?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:34 AM   #8
Alvin H. Nagasawa
Dojo: YBA/HBAC Honolulu, HI
United_States

I assume the Shihan certification given by the AikiKai Foundation Hombu Dojo Japan.
I assume a certified designated "Shihan" has to be recommendation of a Certified Representative of Hombu Dojo or affiliated Organization the AikiKai Foundation has appointed a Representative in the United States as a example. If the Aiki foundation did not announce these Non- Japanese Shihan designation it could be a outside of Japan posting system. If the Aiki Web, as a starting point could resolve this question. It could help the members of this Aiki Web forum resolve this Shihan question. The Aikikai Foundation will recognize the "Aiki Web" as a point of information to all Aikido students all over the world. And will help to resolve this question or direct you to the individual in charge of the Shihan certification.

Lone Wolf of San Jose
Old 01-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #9
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Is anyone aware of a website or printed version of Aikido Shimbun in English? I think I saw on one of the sites it was called The Aikido but I cannot find it anyware. Or even a translated resource to Aikido Shimbun would work as well.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:38 PM   #10
Don_Modesto

Quote:
Jim Baker wrote:
The USAF-East website's seminar calendar now lists, to my surprise, four US teachers as Shihan: Claude Berthiaume, Peter Bernath, Donovan Waite and Harvey Konigsberg. Claude and Harvey were promoted to 7th Dan recently, while Peter and Donovan are 6th Dans.
IIRC, Harvey was officially promoted to SHIHAN by Honbu; I haven't heard that the others were. I heard that Kanai designated Claude heir apparent, but this was local, not Honbu.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
Old 01-19-2005, 06:44 PM   #11
Lisa Tomoleoni
Dojo: Aikido Shindo Dojo

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Is anyone aware of a website or printed version of Aikido Shimbun in English? I think I saw on one of the sites it was called The Aikido but I cannot find it anyware. Or even a translated resource to Aikido Shimbun would work as well.
The printed on paper publication "The Aikido" is no longer being published, but the Aikikai webpage has an English portion, which can be read at:

http://www.aikikai.or.jp/Eng/index.htm

There is no translated to English version of the Aikido Shimbun put out by the Aikikai, though portions of it are sometimes translated and put on the English webpage.

Lisa Tomoleoni
Old 01-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #12
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Ummm...My sensei (Peter Bernath) has been promoted to Shihan??? ~scratches head~~ He hasn't told anyone. I need a little talk with him.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 01-19-2005, 08:35 PM   #13
NagaBaba

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
IIRC, Harvey was officially promoted to SHIHAN by Honbu; I haven't heard that the others were. I heard that Kanai designated Claude heir apparent, but this was local, not Honbu.
Claude was promoted to shihan in January 2004 by Honbu Aikikai. Want to see his cert? Come to the dojo

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 01-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #14
jimbaker
Antarctica

Cool!

I knew both Claude and Harvey were promoted to 7th Dan, but I hadn't heard that they'd been sent Shihan certificates yet. I didn't know about Peter Bernath either, but then again, neither did Ann Marie from his own dojo. No one at the USAF summer camp mentioned any of this either. That's why I've been cautious about just saying that Hombu has named them as Shihans. I do consider the USAF's own events calendar as "official"; well, "official" enough for me.

Has anyone from the other Hombu recognized organizations in the US heard of Shihan promotions in their groups. ASU? AAA? PAF?

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 01-19-2005, 09:31 PM   #15
Don_Modesto

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
Claude was promoted to shihan in January 2004 by Honbu Aikikai. Want to see his cert? Come to the dojo
Thanks for the clarification, Szczepan. I'm glad to hear it. Claude is a great player, I've really enjoyed my time on the mat with him. I don't think Peter can be far behind...

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
Old 01-19-2005, 10:01 PM   #16
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Thanks for all the input so far.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-20-2005, 12:52 AM   #17
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Lisa Tomoleoni wrote:
The printed on paper publication "The Aikido" is no longer being published, but the Aikikai webpage has an English portion, which can be read at:

http://www.aikikai.or.jp/Eng/index.htm

There is no translated to English version of the Aikido Shimbun put out by the Aikikai, though portions of it are sometimes translated and put on the English webpage.

Lisa Tomoleoni

Hi Lisa,

Ohisashiburi desu. Hope you are well.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 01-20-2005, 01:15 AM   #18
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

I'm not quite sure but I think i've read somewhere that Ulf Evenå from Sweden was announced to be shihan some years ago. That's in Iwama ryu I think. Mind you this is unsubstantiated rumors from the murky debths of my scatterede memory....

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 01-20-2005, 07:02 PM   #19
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
...I don't think Peter can be far behind...
He's not. I just confirmed with Penny. It's true. He's shihan, now.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 01-21-2005, 12:04 AM   #20
Don_Modesto

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
Cool! Give him my congratulations. He runs a great dojo.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
Old 01-21-2005, 09:25 AM   #21
Shoshin

Dojo: SEIKI Dojo
Argentina
Thumbs down Re: Non-Japanese Shihans?

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
Great News!!!!!

Please, if you see Sensei BERNATH in these days, send him our congratulations from SAKANASHI Sensei and all his students of the Centro de Difusion del Aikido in Argentina.

Has he been promoted to nanadan, too?

Daniel "Shoshin" NEVES
Centro de Difusión del Aikido
Argentina
Old 01-21-2005, 11:18 AM   #22
jimbaker
Antarctica

Tell him: "Go Dink! Go Dink!!"

He'll understand.

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 01-21-2005, 01:13 PM   #23
NagaBaba

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
Major congrats!!!!!

..........hey, I'll congratulate him personally, on Kanai Sensei Memorial Seminar in Boston in March, he is supposed to conduct some practice, I believe.....

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 01-21-2005, 01:51 PM   #24
akiy

From what I understand on this issue, certain organizations within the Aikikai "umbrella" have issued the title of "shihan" to persons within their organizations. Also, Aikikai itself has also issued "official" titles of "shihan" to people as well.

There is an increasing number of non-Japanese shihan recognized by Aikikai, some of whom have been named above. I think this is a long over-due move on the part of the Aikikai, but it's good news, nonetheless.

And, for the subject of organizations with the Aikikai giving out their own "shihan" title, I think that's up to them to decide.

I havent't seen any sort of official announcement on the recent kagaki biraki promotions (either for rank or for title) from Aikikai hombu dojo yet, neither on their English nor Japanese language. If Peter Goldsbury is reading this (or Lisa is she has the time), maybe he could let us know if such an official announcement were made by Aikikai (either on the website or otherwise) that it could be made public here on AikiWeb?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-21-2005, 05:16 PM   #25
Alvin H. Nagasawa
Dojo: YBA/HBAC Honolulu, HI
United_States
Re: Non-Japanese Shihan?

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
From what I understand on this issue, certain organizations within the Aikikai "umbrella" have issued the title of "shihan" to persons within their organizations. Also, Aikikai itself has also issued "official" titles of "shihan" to people as well.

There is an increasing number of non-Japanese shihan recognized by Aikikai, some of whom have been named above. I think this is a long over-due move on the part of the Aikikai, but it's good news, nonetheless.

And, for the subject of organizations with the Aikikai giving out their own "shihan" title, I think that's up to them to decide.

I haven't seen any sort of official announcement on the recent kagami biraki promotions (either for rank or for title) from Aikikai hombu dojo yet, neither on their English nor Japanese language. If Peter Goldsbury is reading this (or Lisa is she has the time), maybe he could let us know if such an official announcement were made by Aikikai (either on the website or otherwise) that it could be made public here on AikiWeb?

-- Jun
Jun,
Thanks for following up on this posting on :Non-Japanese Shihan?. I am sure allot of the reader of this forum. would like some answer's. And if Mr. Goldsbury or Lisa has the time to follow up. I for one would appreciate their individual efforts on this subject. This Shihan issue has been a topic of decision for many years. It's just a title, Lets not make it more than it is. I doesn't make this person better than you or I . We are all human beings. Let's just concentrate on one's own individual training. Leave the politics to the politicians.

Lone Wolf of San Jose