Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #26
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Aikido or Judo, which is more martial?

A few instances in my "youth" involving very aggressive punch/kick fellows ended quickly when the world turns upside down very quickly and they hit the hard surface in dramatic fashion. One fellow that made the mistake of not growing up learning ukemi and proper falling sustained a hip fracture. Boxers don't think about learning to fall. If you're proficient at ashi waza, they really work.

Peter, things continue to happen and I have survived. I'm living in the Pacific Northwest now and am glad to get out of the heat. Keep in touch.

Hi Szczepan, I heard a long time ago that the hardest and most important thing about budo practice is finding the right teacher. I think it's true.

Last edited by Chuck Clark : 04-24-2009 at 09:26 AM.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 04-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #27
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
The only thing Chuck, that a fresh beginner will learn this kind of spirit much faster with right judo instructor then in aikido.
And I agree with Peter, most aikidoka only talk.
More Irony...with a "little apples and oranges" fallacy thrown in...

Most Aikidoka and Judoka do not post on message boards They're too busy practicing and living thier lives...

Some of us however love to post....LOL

Kano Shihan knew the differance by the way...

William Hazen
Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #28
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
Hi Ron,
A tire? The tires are for children. The Real Judo Fighter practice sweeps on tree trunk or elecrical pillar. < - it is not a joke.
Not much different from Thai boxers, neh? Used to do a bit of that myself in my back yard. <-- it is not a joke...

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 04-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #29
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
Well a judoka is more likely to make what he talks about work where a Aikidoist will often just talk.
Hi Peter! I was just thinking how I missed your posts, et voila!
Why do you think this is the case (w/re: talking and making stuff work)?
Glad to see you're well!
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #30
DH
United_States

Quote:
Brian Northrup wrote: View Post
I was wondering of those of you who have or still do train in both arts, which one do you find more martial?
Neither-though Judo could probably be adapted "back" into a martial art more readily.

Neither; were, are, or ever will be "martial" arts. They were never intended -to- be martial arts by their inventors. Both of whom knew the martial arts of Japan and cited in various texts that they wanted to remove-themselves-and change what they knew to differentiate it from the "martial" arts of Japan.
Aikido initially expressed a power so profound that Ueshiba could "stop" the martial arts of Japan. In this way it was considered superior too- but outside of- those interests. Unfortunately, most believe those abilities and that type of aikido to have ended with him.
So, why the interest in a martial art?
If you want to train in one- the martial arts of Japan are still taught in Japan and a few are now taught outside of Japan.
Or, train on both sides of the spectrum. Learn what they were and are and then learn the way of Aiki... to stop or neutralize them.
Cheers
Dan
Old 04-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #31
georgejjr

This thread was also asked on judoinfo.com. I'm not sure if the intention was to start an argument between aikido and judo enthusiasts, but the most common response there was that both neither judo or aikido are martial in any modern sense of the word (that would involve firearms, artillery, armor, air combat etc).

In fact, its kind of a strange question unless what was being asked was how well they worked for self-defense, and in the case of self-defense both seem to have worked quite well for many students.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #32
James Wyatt
Dojo: Budokwai
United Kingdom

Find the right teacher and they are both martial. Finding the right teacher is key and can be difficult.....

James
Old 04-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #33
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

I have done judo and aikido my whole life---judo since I was 5 and aikido since I was 7. Which one is more martial depends on your point of view. Judo can fight standing or on the ground. Put a judoka on the ground and attack him. Chances are he'll be able to defend himself thru chokes, armbars, turnovers etc. Put an aikidoka on the ground and see what happens. I have yet to see an aikidoka lay on his back and do an Irimi nage or shiho nage. Aikido though is great for getting around an attacker and using their weight, force etc against them and cranking joint manipulation on them. Both arts have their good points and bad points but when put or used together, they would become 1 and what an awesome and formidable defense one would have then.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #34
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Quote:
Phil Van Treese wrote: View Post
I have yet to see an aikidoka lay on his back and do an Irimi nage or shiho nage.
But you're not confusing the art for the techniques, are you?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #35
Phil Van Treese
United_States

No, I'm not confusing the art for the technique. I am pointing out that each art has their advantages--like judo on the ground and aikido being able to get around an attacker easier. Short coming of aikido is that most aikidoka can't fight on the ground while on their back. In Tomiki Aikido we can. Judo has a hard time getting behind someone because there is a lot of head on confrontation. When used together, they are awesome.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #36
NagaBaba

Quote:
Short coming of aikido is that most aikidoka can't fight on the ground while on their back.
Hello Phil,
Aikidoka can't fight at all. Aikido training is a cooperative training and doesn't teach fighting. Even if in Tomiki aikido you have some sort of sportive competition, it has nothing to do with fighting.Stop dreaming

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #37
DH
United_States

Aiki has the potential to make Aikido one of the most poweful arts in the world, and to match Judo with ease.
Aiki is power.
If your aiki can't deliver this way-change teachers!

Dan
Old 05-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #38
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post

Not really a question that you can answer. it's like saying which is better a phillips head screw driver or a flat head?
Robertson (square drive)

8 years judo, 15+years aikido. No street fighting experience.
Judo's benefits - training within the rules (no atemi, no face, and joint/submissions only on elbow and shime-waza) going quite hard at attack and defense - make one physically hard, ukemi skills pretty good. "martial" aspect a weakness is that you completely don't worry about possibility of other opponents - sole focus on one person. (story later)
Aikido benefits - train against strikes and attempts to control (grabs) and (some dojo) train against multiple attackers and weapons. Some dojo take more of an artsy approach, some dojo never "flow", and some dojo are actually dangerous to train at because they play close to the edge when they pick up speed. All depends on the sensei. I've been at all three types of aikido dojo and some in between (all Aikikai, supposedly). Where I am now, sensei is former karate, and very good at connecting weapon kata to aikido movements, and at demonstrating the openings for all kinds of atemi. One of my earlier dojo we learned all kinds of good stuff - how to put handcuffs on someone punching at you, how to retain the knife against an aikido person, how to retain a pistol (and how to take it away) - I wore a mouth guard for practice at that dojo, and needed it.

The single-attacker judo story - a champion judo athlete (retired international competitor) was in a boozer establishment in a city while attending university (I won't name the person, the street, or the city, but it did happen.). He ended up in an altercation with someone, and threw the other person to the pavement with a seoi-nage, and applied one of the juji-jime (crossed wrist strangulations) to the other fellow. The next thing he knew he had the tip of a knife appearing out of the front of his chest. Forgot to pay attention to the opponent's friends. Fortunately/luckily the knife missed lungs, aorta, ticker and vena-cavae - who knows how - but it seems to have slipped through without taking out any major blood vessels or organs. He recovered after a significant stay in the hospital. I THINK that an Aikido person would have handled the whole thing differently, and if a fight did happen, would most likely not have ignored the surrounding people/friends of his opponent. I for one would have done all I possibly could have to avoid a scrap, whereas before aikido, after judo, I may have waded in.

Which is more martial? Depends on the dojo.

Walter
Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #39
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Aiki has the potential to make Aikido one of the most poweful arts in the world, and to match Judo with ease.
Aiki is power.
If your aiki can't deliver this way-change teachers!

Dan
I agree with you but I'd put it like this: "If you're not doing Aiki you're not doing Aikido, go and find an Aikido instructor."

That's what my instructor did.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #40
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hello Phil,
Aikidoka can't fight at all. Aikido training is a cooperative training and doesn't teach fighting. Even if in Tomiki aikido you have some sort of sportive competition, it has nothing to do with fighting.Stop dreaming
Aikidoka can fight very well, it's just that there aren't many people practicing Aikido.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #41
James Wyatt
Dojo: Budokwai
United Kingdom

There are no breakfalls in "real" aikido.

O'Sensei reportedly refused to demonstrate aikido to the Emperor as it would be a falsehood.

There are very good martial teachers of both judo and aikido. Each to their own as many do not want or wish to contemplate the real applications of proper technique.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #42
georgejjr

Interesting place, the internet. Log onto the forum for any discipline and you'll hear lots of stories proving that their art is the best, and giving numerous unverifiable examples of masters of other arts being defeated. Its always a bit surprising to step on the streets afterward and not have to pick your way through streets littered with the bodies of defeated proponents of inferior styles.

And yet, when you meet people from other styles in person, none of these unproven claims seem to arise, individuals don't claim that either they or their style is the best, and there's generally nothing but respect all around. I'm not sure if that's because people who really train can't be bothered to slag other styles and so the proclamations in question are made by beginners in the rush of enthusiasm for a new activity, or if the people who put down other styles are simply too cowardly to do it in person when they meet a disciple of a different style. The effect however is quite pronounced, and I suspect anyone who has done any martial discipline has noted it.

Last edited by georgejjr : 05-02-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #43
Phil Van Treese
United_States

Well, Szczepan, you obviously are very ignorant in martial arts, esp. Aikido. I have used aikido in Viet Nam, Desert Storm and Mogadishu, Somalia and I am still here. You musn't have any fighting ability at all due to your ignorant statements. Just because you are incapable of defending yourself, don't judge others by your fighting shortcoming(s). You need to start over as a white belt and learn aikido.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #44
NagaBaba

Quote:
Well, Szczepan, you obviously are very ignorant in martial arts, esp. Aikido. I have used aikido in Viet Nam, Desert Storm and Mogadishu, Somalia and I am still here. You musn't have any fighting ability at all due to your ignorant statements. Just because you are incapable of defending yourself, don't judge others by your fighting shortcoming(s). You need to start over as a white belt and learn aikido.
Hi Phil,
I'm obviously ignorant, indeed.
However, I don't believe that 1 milion of aikidoka can fight in Viet Nam, Desert Storm and Mogadishu, Somalia using skills learned in their respectif aikido dojo.At the time O sensei didn't teach how to fight in aikido and still today nobody teachs how to fight in aikido dojo.Right logic and common sens.

i.e.:
In contrary, 1 milion MMA students can fight in any place in the world with the techniques they learned during their training.It can happen for one simple reason - this guys learn how to fight and fight every class. Right logic and common sens.

Phil, it looks we disagree Do you still believe you represent the army of fighting aikidoka?

Nagababa

Old 05-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #45
Phil Van Treese
United_States

I don't represent anyone but me. 1 million aikidoka don't have to fight in Viet Nam etc. I did and I am still here. I have been jumped here in Tampa also at an ATM. 3 against one and I walked away, unhurt. Aikido/Judo serve my purpose so it does work, for me. MMA can fight any where in the world too. It's not the art that's fighting, it's the person. They use what they have been taught and move the way they were taught to move. If MMA, Aikido, Judo or whatever serves your purpose and you can walk away, then it works for you regardless of what martial art was used.
By the way, "sens" is correctly spelled as sense.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #46
Brion Toss
Dojo: Aikido Port Townsend

Hello all,
That screwdriver analogy could actually prove valuable here. The Robertson square drive was developed in a direct response to an injury that Robertson suffered while demonstrating slotted tip screwdrivers. Those slotted screwdrivers have the advantage of being maximally simple, but they slip off the head of the screw too easily. So, basic, but of limited value, and prone to backfire.
Robertson decided he wanted to be in charge of every aspect of his invention, from manufacture through distribution. This worked for a while, and then he ran afoul of Henry Ford, who refused to play along. He instead wanted to license the manufacture of the screws from Robertson. Instead, he contracted with a guy named Phillips (you can look it up), whose screw heads weren't as slip-proof as the square drive, but were much better than slotted bits. In fact the Phillips proved better for the purpose, precisely because the bit would back out when the power tool used to drive the screw hit bottom; square drive bits, in those pre-clutch days, would have been more likely to snap the bit or the screw head. So Henry got cheaper screws that worked better, because in one sense they didn't work as well as the competition.
Now think of martial arts. It seems that some arts are slotted bits, powerful and simple, but of limited versatility, and thus easily taken off course. Boxing comes to mind. Then there are arts that can deal with anything, but which require a technical refinement and subtlety that most people either can't or won't work hard enough to get. If they stay with the art anyway, they'll only get a compromised version of what is possible. I think that Aikido is a square-drive art, (maybe even a Torqz) and that a lot of us are dealing with stripped heads, the wrong size bit, etc.
And then there are Phillips arts. These, despite apparent shortcomings, will get you down the road with less personal investment for a given amount of effectiveness, but they are still deeply versatile and martially valid. Judo, for instance.
This analogy will break down in a hurry if one includes the non-martial aspects and implications of each art, but for me it is clear that Aikido can give one the most to aspire to, the most to realize. But you really have to work for it.
Yours,
Brion

Regards,

Brion Toss
Old 05-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #47
NagaBaba

Quote:
It's not the art that's fighting, it's the person. .
I agree, but if some system doesn't provide any tool to learn efficiently, event most gifted person can't learn too much.
And aikido teachning doesn't have such tools.
Quote:
By the way, "sens" is correctly spelled as sense.
Be generous with me, English is my fourth language, will remember to use spell check.

Nagababa

Old 05-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #48
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

I came across a relevant discussion in Gozo Shioda's "Aikido Shugyo" that seems germane to the topic at hand:

1. Shioda Kancho was a young, talented, and cocky Judoka who was skeptical of O Sensei's art. He thought it was fake...until he was invited to attack Ueshiba Sensei and discovered otherwise.

2. Three time All Japan Judo Champion Kimura Masahiko said to Shioda Kancho, "In terms of self-defence, Judo, which today has abandoned the use of atemi, has a lot to learn from Aikido."

Shioda Sensei held that the sporting aspect of Judo and other martial arts adapted for competition diluted their martial nature.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #49
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

Szczepan,

Your arguments are a bit confusing given your own background as a yondan and USAF instructor. I'm not sure if you are just yanking our chains or if you sincerely believe that Aikido has no practical application as a fighting art.

Could you please explain?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #50
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

The crux of the issue is the intended duality in Aikido.

that is, it is a fighting art.

At the same time, I believe the intent of O Sensei was transcendental.

that is, learning to fight in order to learn peace...so to speak.

you can't have one without the other.

I don't think you should remove the tactical and fighitng side of the art. I don't think you can and still use it as the tool O Sensei intended it to be.