Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-09-2005, 02:48 AM   #1
Ulises Garcia

Mexico
Smile Did O-Sensei have a sense of humor?

Hello everybody,

Being the creator of the martial art we all love, and being so skilled as a martial artist overall (not to mention the philosophy side), we all understand the reverence that O-Sensei deserves. But, as a person, did he have a sense of humor? Not many here knew him personally, but would there be some kind of written tale from his students?

On a related note, would there also be a record of a funny mistake that he could have commited either on or off the mat? I know this would somehow take away some of the aura that there's to him, but he was still human.

Cheers,

U.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:59 AM   #2
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: Did O-Sensei have a sense of humor?

Anyone who has ever taught Yonkyo knows that Osensei must have had a sense of humor. It's fun to teach. Oh yes, it is... *grins evilly*

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-10-2005, 12:03 AM   #3
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States

i've read in the history of nature and aikido or whatever it was called (apoligies) that he often joked with his closer students like his son. but, on the other hand, i've also heard numerous accounts that he had a horrible temper until he was elderly. a few accounts have mentioned that you could hear him screaming at his students in the next district!

anyone have any O Sensei gets angry stories or any humor stories that they have heard?
Old 05-10-2005, 02:44 AM   #4
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Quote:
Yann Golanski wrote:
Anyone who has ever taught Yonkyo knows that Osensei must have had a sense of humor. It's fun to teach. Oh yes, it is... *grins evilly*

Absolutely!

I reckon O Sensei must have had a sense of humour, as that comes through in most people's Aikido (not just Yonkyo ), making it a lot of fun to train in Aikido.

At a recent seminar I was chatting to the nice Red Cross ladies (who kindly provided ice for my swollen foot), and they told me that they'd run the First Aid station at a number of MA events, and that of all of them, the Aikido ones seem to have the greatest number of students smiling, laughing and really enjoying themselves.

Ruth
Old 05-10-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Thumbs down Re: Did O-Sensei have a sense of humor?

I once read a story about a student accompanying O'sensei to Tokyo. When the student wasn't paying attention, O'sensei ducked away and blended into the crowd. The student had his teacher's ID and money, and was responsible for looking out for him! I'm sure that O'sensei was trying to teach his student a lesson about awareness, but I think he also was feeling a bit mischievous that day.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai

One story I once read - always make me giggle inside -
I can´t recall the story completely but it was about a person challenging O´sensei ,
when he attacked - O´sensei made a deep irimi and was behind him ,
the challenger couldn´t see O´sensei anywhere as he looked for him and thought he may have applied some "magical" technique - instead O´sensei was moving in complete sync behind him ,staying outside his field of vision , finally he tapped the challenger on the shoulder -
the challenger turned to see O´sensei standing there with a big grin on his face -
how about that ?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
Michael Cardwell
Dojo: Snake River Aikido
United_States

If you head over to AikidoJournal.com (sorry Aikiweb) you can listen to a short clip from a radio interview that Osensei gave. In it you get to see what a sense of humor he really had. Enjoy.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #8
akiy

Quote:
Michael Cardwell wrote:
If you head over to AikidoJournal.com (sorry Aikiweb) you can listen to a short clip from a radio interview that Osensei gave.
No need to be sorry! Stanley has amassed a wealth of aikido-related information that should be commended. I'm happy he has such a good web presence these days which allows aikido folks from all over the world to benefit from his years of dedicated research.

Now, back to the discussion on the founder's sense of humor.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-12-2005, 03:44 PM   #9
James Young
United_States

If you ever see that video footage of him taking ukemi for a young child you can see that he has a big smile on his face and he is definitely enjoying himself. He has to know the sight of that has to be humorous to a lot of people.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:15 PM   #10
Ulises Garcia

Mexico

Quote:
James Young wrote:
If you ever see that video footage of him taking ukemi for a young child you can see that he has a big smile on his face and he is definitely enjoying himself. He has to know the sight of that has to be humorous to a lot of people.
Hello Jim,

Would you know where in the web I could get such videos? I have only seen pictures of O-Sensei. I would be a blast if my first video was that particular one.

U.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:06 PM   #11
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

There is a story in Terry Dobson`s great book, A Lot Like Dancing. At public demonstations, O`Sensei would use Terry as uke. At one, O`Sensei signalled that Terry should grab O`s front lapel. O` then stepped back and said, "Why did you grab my beard? I am an old man, you know, and don`t have many hairs in my beard. If you grab my beard, I won`t have any hairs left." Everyone laughed, and Terry writes that he was extremely embarrassed. At the next demo, O`Sensei again signalled for Terry to grab his lapel. Terry very carefully made sure not to grab any beard. O` the stepped back and said, "Why did you grab my beard...." Terry realized that the whole thing was a set-up to make the audience laugh.

Terry Dobson`s book is full of such stories, highly recommended.
Charles
Old 05-16-2005, 03:24 PM   #12
James Young
United_States

Quote:
Ulises Garcia wrote:
Would you know where in the web I could get such videos? I have only seen pictures of O-Sensei. I would be a blast if my first video was that particular one.
Sorry, the video clip I saw was an excerpt from another video I'm sure; which in turn was likely an excerpt from some original film footage. So I don't know what the source video is, but I believe it may have been from the seminar that was held in Hawaii when O-sensei visited there. I'm sure if you contact Aikido Journal or some othe source of aikido videos they could give you a lead on which of their videos contain this footage of O-sensei taking ukemi for the child.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:47 PM   #13
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai

That is at the very end of "The founder of Aikido" - Aikido Journal
Old 05-16-2005, 05:43 PM   #14
DevinHammer

Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
United_States

I remember seeing a video where O'Sensei took on four uke. Of course he effortlessly stacked each of them one atop the next. When he had pinned the last one on top of the others, he playfully placed one foot on top, stuck out his chest with his hands on his hips, smiling from ear to ear.