Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-14-2002, 06:50 AM   #1
Drewpal
Dojo: Pilipinas Aikido Propagation Association
Philippines
Weapons

Hi Guys!

It's my first time to post something here. I'd like to ask what is the right length of a bokken and a jo? It would really help me a lot. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2002, 07:24 AM   #2
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Smile

As far as i can remember a Jo should be 4 ft long and my bokken is about as long as my leg or taller (up to the hip) so i'd say about 3 1/2 maybe? dunno could someone confirm this.

i know this doesnt have to be the standard because you can get bigger bokken's and jo's personaly i'd like a 5 ft one but thats cause i'm 6'4" tall

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 08-14-2002, 07:37 AM   #3
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
As far as I know there are 2 ways of measuring:

1. by your own body

2. by an absolute length

By method one the tip of a bokken should just touch the floor when you hold it in a reasonably firm but relaxed grip with your right hand (i.e. top of handle), and relaxed arm. A jo should be just below the armpit.

Method 2: I'm not sure about lengths of bokkens, they can vary considerably - often suburi bokkens being shorter or longer than the average one for kumitachi. For a jo it is 50 inches (I've never seen a purchased jo any different to this).

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 08-14-2002, 07:38 AM   #4
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi!

I believe a bokken should be of the same length that would be appropriate for a real sword (or iaito). This means that if you stand up straight (not overextending) with you right arm down your side holding the bokken with a firm grip but not too tightly (fingers 4 and 5 should deliever the main part of the strength) so that the bokken points downwards and slightly forward then - if your hand is placed on the hilt just below the tsuba (the guard) - the tip of the bokken should be very close to the ground (1-2 centimeters (roughly half an inch)).

Off course this is just a guideline. In the end it depends on what you are comfortable with, which depends on your height and the length of your arms. You should be able to draw the sword and sheathe it again without overextending your arm and leaning forward, on the other you should avoid getting a 'toothpick' bokken since it tends to look kind of stupid for a big man to cut with a sword which is to short for him.

As of the size of the jo there are many guidelines. Some specify a specific length, and some claim it should be fitted to the person using it. For the last part I have heard rules of thumbs such as that is should go from the ground and up to just below the armpit, or from the ground up to just below the nipple (on a guy that is - give and take as needed for a woman (I'm serious!! please don't flame me for being politically incorrect))

Hope this helps

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 08-17-2002, 03:21 PM   #5
David Worsley
Dojo: Plymouth School of Aikido
I concur with Ian`s reply, I prefer the measured method,( no.1) but I am happy if students wish to use standard length weapons.

Most westerners are taller and broader than their eastern counterparts, and the weapons now imported are produced to fit the eastern builds.

However at 5`10" the standard size imports are perfect for me, NOT for my short, broad Wife!! ( she knows i`ve written this)

The suberi bokken (bokken to) are bigger because of the weight requirement, they need to simulate the weight of a katana.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:01 AM   #6
rikardj
Dojo: Karlskrona Aikido Iwama Ryu
Hi! Sweden calling!

Thank you for telling me all about what length Jo & Bokken should have. Now my question: If I want to buy a good bokken from a western company I have found kingfisherwoodworks to be a serious company. But the Bokken the make is a little bit too long for me. Do you now of a Japanese company who makes good Bokken och Jo? That is a company where you can chose length and what material etc. I don´t like Tozando, little informationand just one choise. Hope you can give me a tip. Best regards // Rikard Jönsson
Old 08-27-2002, 02:59 PM   #7
guest1234
not Japanese, but have you tried www.bearwoodproducts.com
Old 08-28-2002, 11:02 AM   #8
Cessna
Quote:
Rikard Jönsson (rikardj) wrote:
I don´t like Tozando,
I realize that this may be "off topic," but do you have any experience with Tozando's steel swords? How are they, quality-wise?
Old 08-29-2002, 12:08 AM   #9
rikardj
Dojo: Karlskrona Aikido Iwama Ryu
Hi Cessna!

Sorry, can´t help you. I have no experience of buying from Tozando. I just talked about tthe information on their site about Bokken. Sorry...// Rikard
Old 08-29-2002, 12:57 AM   #10
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
not Japanese, but have you tried www.bearwoodproducts.com
Our dojo-cho got her weapons from them and she loves them. She also said they had great customer service.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 08-29-2002, 03:57 AM   #11
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Scott Sprague (Cessna) wrote:
I realize that this may be "off topic," but do you have any experience with Tozando's steel swords? How are they, quality-wise?
Hi Cessna!

I have had a wonderfull experience dealing with Tozando. About six months ago I bought their #110 Hon Koshirae iaito, and I like it a lot. It's a bit heavier than your 'standard' iaito, and it is not easy to cut with, but I fits me great. They have little variation in fittings, but on the other hand their prices are quite reasonable.

My only regret is, that I perhaps should have had a sword a little longer, but the #110 only come up to 2.50 (japanese measure). I guess I should have found one that could be delivered in 2.55 or 2.6, but that was outside my financial possibilities.

BTW: they have a sale right now (they do twice a year) and the #110 is actually on sale.

I had a lot of trouble getting the sword through the customs in Denmark - not due to Tozando though as they were very helpfull supplying information during the proces.

Feel free to mail me, if you have any additional questions.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration