Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-08-2004, 02:52 PM   #26
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: Lineage

Quote:
Michael Ellefson wrote:
Huh. Coming originally from Aikikai and now in a Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido lineaged style...I never thought of thanking Ueshiba K. for helping make Tohei K. head off away from the Aikikai
Oh, while I'm at it, I'll go ahead and give you guys another rad opinon...I don't think the aikido landscape would be *anything* like it is today if Tohei Sensei hadn't been there after WWII.

I think there are several other lynchpins in aikido history (e.g., Zenzo Inoue) without which we would not have aikido as we know it.

Back to work,

Greg Jennings
Old 11-08-2004, 09:07 PM   #27
AsimHanif

Gregg,
I think you are right on point. Although aikido may have been in Europe before the US, it wasn't until Tohei came that it started to gain widespread notice (if not popularity). Ueshiba K. being in charge of Aikikai business at the time no doubt was instrumental in this effort. I don't think I am being partisan when I say the efforts of the Aikikai helped all of aikido with regards to speeding up its import into non Japanese societies.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:08 PM   #28
AsimHanif

Greg, sorry about the dribble finger on the g's.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:26 AM   #29
Gabriel A

Hmm... Who would you consider contributed the most to aikido publicly, who brought aikido the most fame?.
(Besides seagal.... becuase I believe a whole thread could develop trying to decide if he harmed or helped akido.)
Gabriel

GREAT MINDS HAVE PURPOSES, OTHERS HAVE WISHES"
Old 11-09-2004, 07:27 PM   #30
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
I know that he built the old Hombu dojo. I know that he taught there (that's glossing right there). But, I submit that he was not the primary (or even secondary) force behind the administration of the dojo, or the pedagogical direction. I've talked 1v1 with people that were there at the time and have no reason to doubt what they say.
Gosh, I believe that if you'll read my posts, you'll see that I've never been in the "Saito Sensei is the teacher of the One True Way" camp….I think you have a good measure of it, but, from my sources, Hitohiro wanting to continue supporting Iwama Ryu was the real deal breaker.
Greg, just to tie up the conversation, and maybe stir the pot a little…While I would agree that O Sensei probably was not the primary administrative force at either Hombu or Iwama dojo, I would disagree that he was not the primary in the pedagogical direction (nice word by the way…I had to look that sucker up). While O Sensei was alive, Tohei Sensei and Ueshiba.K Sensei taught most of the classes at Hombu; however, they only taught Aikido. Tohei Sensei didn't start to change of modify his aikido instruction with his emphasis on Ki exercises until after O Sensei died. Ultimately it was this radical modification in the instructional methodology that caused the rift between Tohei and Ueshiba.K. So, O Sensei had an impact on what and how the instruction was conducted at both locations….Didn't mean to imply that you were a Iwama Ryu zealot, just thought I would throw that out there to see if any of the them were reading…I do agree that the zeal with which the "Iwama Ryu" folks maintain the idea of their Aikido as the "true" Aikido could be part of the reason for the split.

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
As much as I respect the Aikikai organization and the Ueshiba family, nah, I don't think so. Gozo Shioda Kancho's organization did and does quite well. And having a Japanese 7th Dan in your home town trumps the founder's son in Tokyo, in my personal experience. No disrespect, just the way it was for me. Ron
And now to "catch up" so to speak…Ron, no doubt that Gozo Shioda Sensei and the Yoshinkan Aikido organization he created are great, but Aikido was brought to the US initially by Tohei Sensei and then by Yamada Sensei (who was sent by Ueshiba.K Sensei in 1964). The spread of Yoshinkan has been pretty phenomenal, but I think its genesis comes from the initial introduction by the Aikikai….

Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
My thought is that the popularization provided by the Aikikai was needed to provide the critical mass that aikido needed to propagate in a significant way.
Organizational lines, points in history of diversation, etc, don't factor in. But, hey, maybe I've been delving too much into Chaos lately……Oh, while I'm at it, I'll go ahead and give you guys another rad opinon...I don't think the aikido landscape would be *anything* like it is today if Tohei Sensei hadn't been there after WWII. I think there are several other lynchpins in aikido history (e.g., Zenzo Inoue) without which we would not have aikido as we know it.
I agree with Greg here. There are many important folks in Aikido history (possibly to include some Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu folks) that transcends the rifts that were created later. And, I would put forth that all of the Uchideshi of O Sensei regardless of whether they started their own organizations of not, are an important part of that history. BTW, the Yoshinkan organization still maintains a very good relationship with the Aikikai organization.

Quote:
Gabriel Arias wrote:
Hmm... Who would you consider contributed the most to aikido publicly, who brought aikido the most fame? (Besides seagal.... because I believe a whole thread could develop trying to decide if he harmed or helped aikido.) Gabriel
That's a tough one to answer. Seagal brought Aikido to the theaters and introduced it to a bunch of folks who still probably don't have a good idea of what Aikido is about. Whether he has done a service or disservice to Aikido, your right, that is a thread all its own…..One methodology for looking at who has brought aikido the most fame would be to look at the numbers of dojos associated with specific instructors, but this would take quite a bit of research. For example, I know that Kobayashi Yasuo Sensei has dojos associated with him in Canada, Brazil, Sweden, Iceland, Hungary, Germany, Finland, UK, USA, Norway, and Korea. I also know his son Kobayashi Hiroaki Sensei taught Aikido in Taiwan and Malaysia for awhile. But, by the same token you could argue that Yamada Sensei and other US Shihan routinely travel to teach seminars throughout the US and abroad in Europe and South America. So, who is the most popular Aikido instructor? Or, who has influenced the most people to study Aikido? Really open to debate….
Old 11-11-2004, 01:14 PM   #31
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
And now to "catch up" so to speak…Ron, no doubt that Gozo Shioda Sensei and the Yoshinkan Aikido organization he created are great, but Aikido was brought to the US initially by Tohei Sensei and then by Yamada Sensei (who was sent by Ueshiba.K Sensei in 1964). The spread of Yoshinkan has been pretty phenomenal, but I think its genesis comes from the initial introduction by the Aikikai….
I don't believe so. I thnk the two are unrelated...The people I know of who were american and brought yoshinkan here were for the most part not connected at all to the aikikai. They found the yoshinkan in Japan, and came back here with what they learned. I could be wrong on that...but I don't think so. Steven Miranda has a good history of yoshinkan aikido in the states...

HEY STEVEN!!!! You out there???

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-11-2004, 01:39 PM   #32
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Ok, for a good breakdown of Yoshinkan in the US, go to
http://www.seikeikan.com/

and click on U.S. History...

The dates referenced on that page are in the 40's and 50's...that certainly predates Tohei Shihan's 1964 trip...which does suggest that the two organizations pursued an international presense separately.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 11-11-2004, 02:49 PM   #33
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Ok, for a good breakdown of Yoshinkan in the US, go to
http://www.seikeikan.com/
and click on U.S. History...

The dates referenced on that page are in the 40's and 50's...that certainly predates Tohei Shihan's 1964 trip...which does suggest that the two organizations pursued an international presense separately.

Ron

Tohei Sensei was first sent to Hawaii by Morihei Ueshiba Sensei in 1953, and then made subsequent trips in the 1950's to Hawaii and the continental USA.
Maui Ki Society just celebrated their 50th anniversary in 2003.

What I see on the page you mention talks about one GI opening a school in a small town in California after 1956. From what I know, Tohei Sensei's extended trips during that time were a bit higher profile with some big demonstrations and creating a lot of early students across the US.

Old 11-11-2004, 03:17 PM   #34
kironin

United_States

Quote:
Joseph Bowen wrote:
While O Sensei was alive, Tohei Sensei and Ueshiba.K Sensei taught most of the classes at Hombu; however, they only taught Aikido. Tohei Sensei didn't start to change of modify his aikido instruction with his emphasis on Ki exercises until after O Sensei died. Ultimately it was this radical modification in the instructional methodology that caused the rift between Tohei and Ueshiba.K.
This is not accurate. Tohei Sensei began to modify his Aikido and Aikido instruction in response to his experiences with western students in the 1950's. He as always stated this was the case in interviews. It's backed by memories of early American Aikikai students. He clearly discusses "unbendable arm" and other ki exercises in his 1961 book written while staying for an extended period in Hawaii in 1959-1960. Tohei Sensei's methods of teaching with Ki exercises and his general method of Aikido instruction can be seen already quite intact in the mid-1960's. His demonstrations of Aikido from then are quite recognizable in style to the current Ki Society technical syllabus. The black and white almost hour long teaching film by him from the mid-1960's clearly shows this as does the "This is Aikido" companion book first published around the same time.
These are things O-Sensei and Ueshiba K. signed off on at these "radical modifications" at the time. Black Belt magazine articles from the mid-1960's on Aikido (like on the NY Aikikai) all sound like preaching from Tohei Sensei's Ki bible.

the pedagogical differences don't really explain the family spat and conflicts of personalities and politics after O-sensei's death. Just like not all is on the surface about what happened after Saito Sensei's passing.

Old 11-12-2004, 07:48 AM   #35
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Agree completely Craig...all that I'm saying is that two are independant...and that the aikikai is not the only path to aikido...nor was it in the early days. Even if it was only one small dojo.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 11-12-2004, 03:01 PM   #36
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England

Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
I think none of us would be practicing aikido if not for the vision and skills of the late Doshu.
Sorry?

Quote:
Sean Orchard wrote:
I'm pretty sure I would be.
Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. Kisshomaru Doshu was the person behind the "opening" of aikido. He was the one with the organizational and administrative skills.

I submit that even if you're in Korindo, Yoshinkan or Yoseikan, you probably still owe your aikido, at least partially, to Kisshomaru Doshu's efforts.
Nope!

Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
My thought is that the popularization provided by the Aikikai was needed to provide the critical mass that aikido needed to propagate in a significant way.

Organizational lines, points in history of diversation, etc, don't factor in.
?????

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Agree completely Craig...all that I'm saying is that two are independant...and that the aikikai is not the only path to aikido...nor was it in the early days. Even if it was only one small dojo.
Right On!

OK, Kisshomaru Ueshiba had nothing to do with me practicing Aikido. He refers to one of my late Sensei's teachers as Sempai!!! Kancho Shioda Sensei was Sempai to K. Ueshiba.

As for me, I had no interest in Aikido, as I had seen an Aikikai class and having practiced Judo, Jujutsu, Kung Fu, etc., it was baaaaad! I now know how diverse the Aikikai is and that there is some kick ass Aikikai and some "Oh, it's my turn to sit down on the tatami and roll on to my back!" The point is, what I had seen put me off!!! K. Ueshiba is said to have de-emphasised the martial side of Aikido, so if that is true he actually put me off!!! Please feel free to correct me.

I went along to an Aikido class when I lived in the North East, more to support a martial arts class on the military base I had just been stationed at, and also as it was a fair hike to the nearest Judo dojo.

It was a Shudokan dojo and awesome!!! The Shudokan was the first Yoshinkan dojo in the UK and comes out of Malaysia. The founder of the UK Yoshinkan and UK Shudokan school in the early 60's was the late Edwin Stratton Sensei, who I had the greatest pleasure in training with before his passing away in March 2000.

His first teacher was Thamby Rajah Sensei, who introduced both Judo and Aikido to Malaysia and founded the Shudokan, having trained under Ichijama Sensei and Shioda Sensei in the 50's.

What I am saying is that Kisshomaru Ueshiba has no presence in my lineage and in my eyes played no part in me coming to practice Aikido. That has no disrespect in it at all, as I have the greatedt respect for the Ueshiba family. That said, the only one of them who had an input in bringing me to Aikido was O'Sensei.

Phew! I am worn out now!!!

All the best to all,

Si

(Yohinkan 'til I die!)

Osu!
Old 11-12-2004, 03:25 PM   #37
kironin

United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:

Ron

I agree Ron. Obviously, I think the Aikikai is not the only path. ;-)

I don't mean to knock the one dojo. Just sometimes USAF tends to give the impression that nothing was happening before Yamada, Chiba or Kanai came in the 1960's. They would have to talk about Tohei then.

Steve Miranda's site is very nice with a lot of interesting history.

One of the senior most Ki Society instructors (9th dan) that I highly respect started and trained for several years in a Yoshinkan dojo in
Japan in the mid-50's. It was a great loss when he passed away.
I got the impression from the stories he told that there was some friction then between Yoshinkan and Aikikai. So I can believe the independence
of events.

peace

Old 11-12-2004, 03:59 PM   #38
siwilson
England

Craig,

I have found that many try and change history to fit in with what will elevate their position or vantage their opinion.

Politics has no place in my Aikido, and I now practice in the Kenshinkai (still Yoshinkan) and we actively keep politics outside of our Aikido!!!!!!

Osu!
Old 11-13-2004, 07:21 PM   #39
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

If I am understanding Greg`s point, I think that many others are not. I don`t think Greg is saying Aikikai is better or that Kisshomaru Doshu is part of every Aikidoist`s lineage. (If I`m wrong Greg, please correct me.) I think the point is that due to the organizational skills and efforts of the Doshu, aikido became well known throughout the world. This is entirely marketing, nothing to do with quality. Of course, we can only speculate, but I feel that Greg`s hypothesis has some validity. Just as that hypothesis cannot be proven, so can`t the statement "even without the Doshu, I would still be doing Aikido."

As for the Aikikai/Kinokenkyukai split, I have probably read as much as anyone and I still don`t understand the entirety of it. Also, that Shioda was sempai to Kisshomaru has no historical validity and doesn`t make sense in the Japanese concept of sempai/kohai.

Charles Hill
Old 11-13-2004, 08:40 PM   #40
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

I'll have to agree with Sean regarding Ueshiba K. and his marketing skills or whatever and it's effect on my doing Aikido as well. Like Sean, the lineage of my training comes from the U.K. pioneers of Shodokan and from Tomiki's Japanese students. If I am am wrong, Sean please let me know.

I can't see how Ueshiba K.'s marketing of what is basically "Aikikai Honbu Aikido" would help popularise a form of training that Ueshiba K. himself indicated that "Aikikai did not acknowledge" as seen here - http://homepage2.nifty.com/shodokan/en/oshie6.html . It may be true for other Aikido groups in the USA, but may not be easily transferable to Aikido history and development in other parts of the world. For example, wasn't Yoseikan the primary form of Aikido found in France in the earlier days? How does Ueshiba K. get credit for this phenomenon?

Not all paths lead to Ueshiba K. imho. I for one am happy of that.

Just my thoughts..

Shodothug4eva
LC

Last edited by L. Camejo : 11-13-2004 at 08:44 PM.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 11-14-2004, 01:01 PM   #41
siwilson
England

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
Also, that Shioda was sempai to Kisshomaru has no historical validity and doesn`t make sense in the Japanese concept of sempai/kohai.
Hmmm, so someone is not Sempai to you if they started training before you? O'Sensei didn't teach Aikido to children as he said it was not suitable.

I have also seen it in print that K. Ueshiba regularly visited the Yoshinkan Hombu and would rei to and address Kancho Shioda as Sempai. It is made as a distinct point, to show that even though he was Aikikai Doshu, he still paid respect to his seniors.

Osu!
Old 11-14-2004, 01:25 PM   #42
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
O'Sensei didn't teach Aikido to children as he said it was not suitable.

Osensei started teaching Michio Hikitsuchi (10th dan, dojocho of Shingu) and Hiroshi Isoyama (8th dan, dojocho of Iwama) when each was about 12.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:49 PM   #43
siwilson
England

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote:
Osensei started teaching Michio Hikitsuchi (10th dan, dojocho of Shingu) and Hiroshi Isoyama (8th dan, dojocho of Iwama) when each was about 12
Yep, and they were the exception. It was actually in reference to them starting that it was stated that O'Sensei didn't teach chldren. He made an exception for them.

Osu!
Old 11-14-2004, 04:17 PM   #44
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
I have also seen it in print that K. Ueshiba regularly visited the Yoshinkan Hombu and would rei to and address Kancho Shioda as Sempai. It is made as a distinct point, to show that even though he was Aikikai Doshu, he still paid respect to his seniors.
By that reckoning, Tohei K. and Tomiki K. were also senior to the second Doshu. Would you say he paid respect to them too?
Old 11-14-2004, 04:36 PM   #45
siwilson
England

Haha!

Well the relationship between the Yoshinkan, whose way I follow and the Aikikai has always been good. I am aware of fraid relations between the Aikikai and some other ways of Aikido.

For me, politics is b*ll*cks and I try to stay away. Train and let train I say! I have practiced with Aikikai and I regularly train with Tomiki Ryu, so I keep myself open. Yoshinkan is still the only way for me, but I will steal from any art!!! My Judo days as a kid hae been most useful in that respect, as have sparring with a double hard b****** and getting my head beaten in in anything goes striking arts!

Osu!
Old 11-14-2004, 06:27 PM   #46
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Over at our Aikikai dojo, we have a pretty good relationship with the Filipino Yoshinkan practitioners, graduates of the senshusei course and one of them is actually an instructor at Yoshinkan Hombu in Tokyo. This guy, Ballares sensei, teaches a class for us now and then and he says that the ties between Yoshinkan and Aikikai are pretty good; the instructors know and are very friendly with each other.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:08 PM   #47
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Quote:
Sean Orchard wrote:
By that reckoning, Tohei K. and Tomiki K. were also senior to the second Doshu. Would you say he paid respect to them too?
Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
Also, that Shioda was sempai to Kissomaru has no historical validity and doesn't make sense in the Japanese concept of sempai/kohai. Charles Hill
Shioda.G (Started in 1932), Tomiki.K (Started in 1926) both started aikido before Ueshiba.K. Tohei.K, according to the Encyclopedia of Aikido available through Aikidojournal.com started Aikido in 1939, while Ueshiba.K from the same reference started in 1937 (serious training). Therefore, both Shioda.G and Tomiki.K are "Sempai" to Ueshiba.K, but Tohei.K is not. Sorry. I know you, for some reason you really want him to be.
Honestly, don't know why some people seem to want to come down hard on Ueshiba.K. The man did some really good things for Aikido. His father, O Sensei, left him the legacy for the art, and he really advanced it. Spread it. Maybe he wasn't directly involved in how your Yoshinkan, Tomiki or Ki Aikido instructor got to whatever country you practice in, but Aikido's popularity today is due in part to him. Would Aikido still have spread if he didn't due what he did? Sure. Just not as quickly.

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
Tohei Sensei began to modify his Aikido and Aikido instruction in response to his experiences with western students in the 1950's. He as always stated this was the case in interviews. It's backed by memories of early American Aikikai students. He clearly discusses "unbendable arm" and other Ki exercises in his 1961 book written while staying for an extended period in Hawaii in 1959-1960. Tohei Sensei's methods of teaching with Ki exercises and his general method of Aikido instruction can be seen already quite intact in the mid-1960's. His demonstrations of Aikido from then are quite recognizable in style to the current Ki Society technical syllabus. The black and white almost hour long teaching film by him from the mid-1960's clearly shows this as does the "This is Aikido" companion book first published around the same time.
These are things O-Sensei and Ueshiba K. signed off on at these "radical modifications" at the time. Black Belt magazine articles from the mid-1960's on Aikido (like on the NY Aikikai) all sound like preaching from Tohei Sensei's Ki bible.
The pedagogical differences don't really explain the family spat and conflicts of personalities and politics after O-sensei's death. Just like not all is on the surface about what happened after Saito Sensei's passing.
The Unbendable arm, Funakogi Undo, Ikkyo Undo and various other "Ki" exercises cannot be attributed solely to Tohei Sensei and were probably a part of the Aikido regiment for quite some time. If you look at many of the Yoshinkan, and Tomiki Aikido exercises you will find similar exercises. These styles of Aikido were probably not influenced by Tohei Sensei. Old file footage reflects O Sensei engaging in several demonstrations of Unbendable Arm, sometimes while holding onto a bokken. Ki demonstrations by O Sensei were not uncommon. Tohei.K doesn't hold the patent on Ki. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he study other forms of Ki development under other Japanese instructors other than O Sensei, like, Tempu Nakamura Sensei. Tohei.K was an important part of the development of Aikido and its spread to the US, without any doubt (unless you'd like to argue the Tomiki or Yoshinkan aikido school development as parallel and separate) and Tohei.K had a big influence on most of the Uchideshi at Aikikai Hombu dojo in the 50's and 60's like Yamada Sensei. But, realize that the references you make are aimed at US students and Tohei.K at the time was the only one with the English ability, so naturally, it seems like those are solely his ideas. If you haven't, you should read "Complete Aikido: Aikido Kyohan: The Definitive Guide to the Way of Harmony" Roy Suenaka Sensei. I'm not a student of Suenaka Sensei but read his book and his chronology of his study of Aikido includes the split from Hombu dojo by Tohei.K and Suenaka Sensei's departure with him. He also details why he and several others who also followed Tohei.K during the split left the International Ki Society. You might find it interesting.
There is an old saying that "history is written by the victors", meaning that history is colored by whomever is telling it. I'm sure that Ki Society folks like to think that Tohei.K is the greatest that ever was, as Yoshinkan folks will tell you that no, Shioda.G is the greatest and Tomiki folks will tell you that Tomiki.K is. I've read several of Tohei.K's books and seen "This is Aikido" book you mention. They are good sources of instruction and supplement any Aikido training you will do, but that doesn't make his path the "best" path.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:04 PM   #48
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
If I am understanding Greg`s point, I think that many others are not. I don`t think Greg is saying Aikikai is better or that Kisshomaru Doshu is part of every Aikidoist`s lineage. (If I`m wrong Greg, please correct me.) I think the point is that due to the organizational skills and efforts of the Doshu, aikido became well known throughout the world. This is entirely marketing, nothing to do with quality. Of course, we can only speculate, but I feel that Greg`s hypothesis has some validity.
Yes, Charles, that's pretty much what I'm saying.

Without the "critical mass" of practitioners and teachers created by the evangelizing of Ueshiba K., Tohei K., many of us might not be practicing aikido...even the Yosh guys despite the interesting and effective organizational structure of the Yoshinkan.

And if anyone here thinks that I'm "One True Waying" or even "Best Waying" or whatever, they're 180 degrees off...and should know better.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 11-14-2004, 08:29 PM   #49
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

The Japan Aikido Association (Tomiki) was formed in 1974 - until that time we were at least in theory part of Aikikai. The connection was still quite strong (and this holds true for Yoshinkan Aikido also) during the early 50s. I think both organizations benefited enormously from the work of Ueshiba K. both within Japan and abroad and to this day there is a strong correlation between the growth of popularity of Aikido in general (dominated by the Aikikai) and the other styles.

Unfortunately Ueshiba K. also presided over a partial fragmentation of the Aikikai and therefore might have been responsible for putting a break on the development of both Tomiki and Yoshinkan Aikido abroad.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 11-15-2004, 01:04 AM   #50
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Si,

Do you really think that the Founder made an exception for Hikitsuchi and Isoyama but not his own son? Kisshomaru Ueshiba has said himself that he has been practicing his whole life. Of course, as was pointed out in another thread, "senior" and "sempai" are not exactly the same thing. As the Founder`s son, I`m sure that Kisshomaru was not considered sempai nor kohai. From what I have seen and read, I`d guess that Shioda and Ueshiba K. had more of a friendship than anything else. They were only about 6 years apart in age and both were small. There is a picture of the two, very young, where Ueshiba K has his hands on Shioda`s shoulders.

Charles Hill