Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
tim evans
United_States
Starting to burn......out! I hope not

I have been in aikido over a year and over the past month I feel like I,m burning out my desire is just not there no more I have been going through some tough times with my young kids,job,maybe even depression I,m wearing out easily also I just don,t know what to do to overcome it.any thoughts.. thanks
Old 11-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Starting to burn......out! I hope not

Do what you think you ought to do. Maybe take some time off. Aikido is not going anywhere so don't be afraid to step away for a while. If it is something your supposed to be doing, then time off while make that more clear over time. If not, well then, you will also have your answer too.

Burn out happens to everyone and the typical prescription is to take some time off.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
Buck
United_States

My experience has been never go to class and train with a head full of troubles. When in practice and your head isn't right, suck the motivation right out of you. Also it isn't as enjoyable as when your troubles are not so heavy.

If your in a dojo that is supportive of these things you mentioned, the stuff your going though then it is good to go to class and get that support to stay motivated, and stuff.

The other school of thought is to keep going to class, keep training and over-time and it will help you sort it all out. That goes without saying having a supportive dojo. The idea is in time your motivation will come back. Because it is an ebb and flow thingy.

I think because Aikido is a long road, motivation is something you might be dealing with though out your Aikido training, it an ever re-occurring hurdle.

Last edited by Buck : 11-07-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Victoria Pitt
Dojo: Shinjinkai, Chicago, IL
United_States

This issue really isn't uncommon in any sport like activity. As a matter of fact, when training for sporting events, times of no activity for a week or two every few months is the norm.

Personally, when I am upset, I find working out to be the best thing to improve my mood, however there are times when I have over-trained and everything feels crappy. What I do at this point is take a week off said activity and try to relax. I then tend to find that I am missing that activity after I've been off it for a week or so.

It's good for the body and the mind to some times give yourself a wee break.

~Do one thing each day that scares you...~
Old 11-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

I agree, getting burned out is a normal thing and nothing to be worried about. With everything else that goes on in life you may need to take some time off from Aikido. On the other hand, the dojo is like a family itself and it can be a source of great support. Only you can know what to do.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 11-08-2009, 04:16 AM   #6
osaya

Australia

grossly speaking, burn out usually happens either when we do something too much or when we get bored of it.

if it's the former, maybe consider slowing down? perhaps intersperse your training with other fun stuff?

if the latter, try reflecting on your (and/or dojo's) training style. too much emphasis on physical techniques? too much spirituality/philosophical talk? too much chatting? too rough? too soft? be aware of what you are doing and perhaps explore the other perspectives of aikido. hopefully your dojo/sensei would appreciate that, but if not, consider training at other dojos to get a fresh perspective. the world of aikido is just so so rich of possiblities.

if it feels like you're pushing against a brick wall, have you tried pulling it instead?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, training plateaus are very common. Training through them wires in that level and resets the baseline. Read George Leonard's Mastery.

Sounds like you have some outside issues that need your priority attention. Life is like that.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
Chantal

Dojo: Yoshinkan Aikido
Canada

I have also had those feelings as well. For me though, I know it is because i have too many things going on right now and need to prioritize things. I do agree that te people i train with in aikido are like family therefore i have chosen to take November off of training and join them one training night a week after class for casual conversation and drinks. This allows me to keep that connection with the people at the dojo but also gives me the urge to go back ... makes me miss it at the same time. With my stressful life at the moment, I know i need this time but i am also looking forward to returning. All this said, I will take the time i need to "unwind" before returning. My advice it to take a step back, and take some time off. See if you miss it at all. This might help you decide if it is a matter of boredom or overworking. Hope my similar experience helps you choose a path. Salut

Chantal

The spiritual beauty, which is the deepest truth, sustains me!
Old 11-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
lbb
United_States

Tim, why do you think the burnout happened? Did something happen in your life? Were you looking for something specific in aikido that turned out not to be there? Do you find that you often have difficulty sustaining interest in an activity?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Tim, why do you think the burnout happened? Did something happen in your life? Were you looking for something specific in aikido that turned out not to be there? Do you find that you often have difficulty sustaining interest in an activity?
Mary,I have a lot of stress right now both economically and medically with my kids it seems to never end almost like I can,t come up for air but my friends are testing for 5th kyu in a few weeks and helping them with practice tests helps me get through it in the dojo but I want to thank everyone for there responses I have a lot to think about.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #11
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I think most people experience something like this at one point or another. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this. Have you tried talking about it to any fellow friends at the dojo? Sometimes hearing how someone else pushed through it can help.

As far as being stressed out, it seems most people are with you (especially when it comes to finances!). I know my husband and I are barely keeping our heads above the water. I feel like we are doggie paddling and let me tell you... I'm getting tired!

I sure hope things get better for you though. Just keep your head up and things will turn around eventually. If you do have to walk away from aikido for a bit, it will always be there for you again when you are ready.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #12
bleepbeep
Dojo: kyokan dojo bacolod city/dale city aikikai, va
United_States

on the other hand, here is where "shugyo" comes into the picture. persistence and perseverance.

it's really up to you, if you feel it is weighing you down, maybe a break would be a good idea.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #13
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Tim Evans wrote: View Post
Mary,I have a lot of stress right now both economically and medically with my kids it seems to never end almost like I can,t come up for air but my friends are testing for 5th kyu in a few weeks and helping them with practice tests helps me get through it in the dojo but I want to thank everyone for there responses I have a lot to think about.
I think it really depends on the situation, and your assessment of it. Is this:

- something to be endured and that will go away on its own?
- something that needs your active intervention to get better?
- something that is going to get worse without your involvement?
- a cycle that never seems to get any better?

Clearly something's got to change, but whether time in the dojo will help or not is a question. It doesn't sound to me like what you're talking about is burnout, though. You've got problems elsewhere in your life, and it sounds like the dojo may have helped you forget about them or get some relief from them for a time, but the problems are still there. Time in the dojo doesn't fix problems outside the dojo, although stepping away from a problem for a time can sometimes help you see it more clearly. If the dojo is not helping in that regard, probably another approach is called for. That doesn't mean quitting aikido forever...it just means looking for the solution in the place where it is to be found.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Do what you think you ought to do. Maybe take some time off. Aikido is not going anywhere so don't be afraid to step away for a while. If it is something your supposed to be doing, then time off while make that more clear over time. If not, well then, you will also have your answer too.

Burn out happens to everyone and the typical prescription is to take some time off.
This.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
michael tan
Dojo: Aikido At The Red Barn
United Nations

"Burn out" Everyone is pretty much right on with their thoughts and advice. Aikido is an art of positive energy, anytime you inject positive and good energies into your life, you can expect their to be negative energies trying to unbalance you and prevent you from doing any good in this world with your Aikido. And believe me, if you stay with this art, trust in the principles as applied to daily life, you will have many opportunities in this life to have great impacts with your Aikido on people in your daily interactions with them. Aikido changes those who persevere and allow the non-conflicting teachings to work off the mat as well. Only a thought...
Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

tim sorry to hear that. life happens. its ok to deal with it and then come back to aikido.

charlie sensei is a great person. talk to him about it.

practice hard
Old 11-11-2009, 06:26 AM   #17
dps

Quote:
I have been in aikido over a year and over the past month I feel like I,m burning out my desire is just not there no more I have been going through some tough times with my young kids,job,maybe even depression I,m wearing out easily also I just don,t know what to do to overcome it.any thoughts.. thanks
Family responsibilities, job concerns, economic problems, young kids, sick kids all are very familiar. Throw in some car problems and it gets overwhelming with no apparent end in sight.

What finally helped me was to lower my expectations of what I can accomplish in each area for now. There is just not enough hours in a day to do everything. Prioritize what is important to accomplish now, today, and drop what isn't. You can always come back later ( a week, a month). Two things high on your priority list should be for you and you spouse to eat healthy and get plenty of sleep in order to be functional.

Good Luck
David

Last edited by dps : 11-11-2009 at 06:35 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #18
heathererandolph
Dojo: Kokikai Aikido Boston
United_States

My advice would be to not stop, but practice for another month and at the end of the month, assess yourself to see if you feel any better or if you still don't feel excited about training. If you are depressed, you should seek help from a health professional for that. Working out can actually be helpful to alleviate depression. Work out aerobically, hard each day and see if that doesn't life your spirits. Sometimes with loosing sleep,etc, it's easy to say more rest is needed but working out can work wonders. It can't hurt to talk to your Sensei about this feeling of burning out, he or she probably has some ideas that could be helpful. You didn't say how often you train, but you can try adjusting your training schedule to find out if this helps your situation.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #19
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

Hi Tim,
My suggestion is to find a good balance between family and training and be flexible with your schedule. Family first before anything else. You will find that if everything is taken cared of at home, aikido training support from your family will be there. As far as being depressed, that is normal specially in this trying times. Try to look for positive things in your life. I consider my self lucky to have found Ki Aikido as it has helped me look at things from a positve perspective even hopeless situation.

One thing that is constantly reminded to us during training is that the only thing that you can control is your own mind. How you choose to use is up to you. Good and bad things happen in life. It is your choosing how the event will affect you.

Calm your mind and keep your center.
Good luck.

Plus Ki
Old 11-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #20
tim evans
United_States

I have decided to work through these issues and keep training my kids have rounded the corner medically and are doing better all the other things in my life will still be there and thats that.so thanks to all and hope I can get this suwari waza down asap.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #21
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
I have decided to work through these issues and keep training my kids have rounded the corner medically and are doing better all the other things in my life will still be there and thats that.so thanks to all and hope I can get this suwari waza down asap.
Good on ya for carrying on. You'll find that you'll make progress, then stall, then suddenly make progress again, then stall. I am currently going through a clumsy phase - doesn't help that it's a week out from a nidan test...
Suwari waza - practice, practice, practice....

Walter