Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-11-2008, 04:43 AM   #1
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Circle Aikido and the Way of Chess

Onegaishimasu. As an avid chess player, I would be most interested in how some of you chess players out there relate aikido to chess. Does one play aggressively or evasively? (I am aware that the word 'avid' is defined as both: "eager" and "greedy". Well, "eager" is the better description as relates to this post).

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 10-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
Buck
United_States
Re: Aikido and the Way of Chess

I am a horrible chess player, I am not that versed to discuss strategy, but I know enough to find the idea of Aikido having a middle game is very intriguing to me. Maybe that is where the power is. It could be where you make or break the technique, where the greatest area of error lays. Perhaps instead of bringing another principle or element outside of Aikido to improve Aikido skills, it just maybe a matter of focusing on your middle game to improve? It is intriguing to me to think Aikido can be thought of differently in terms of a middle game. I know lots of people think Go relates better. Because i don't know how to play Go, I can't relate to it.

Last edited by Buck : 10-11-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
gregg block

United_States

In both chess and combat one must be able to predict their opponents move before it happens
Old 10-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Leading the 'opponent' is probably most relevant for me.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote: View Post
Onegaishimasu. As an avid chess player, I would be most interested in how some of you chess players out there relate aikido to chess. Does one play aggressively or evasively? (I am aware that the word 'avid' is defined as both: "eager" and "greedy". Well, "eager" is the better description as relates to this post).
It depends on your view of chess. As I view chess, (or Go for that matter) the concept of kuzushi is very much sympathetic to certain recurrent strategies -- particularly zugswang.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Ask this guy...he might know a "little" about chess and the martial way. good book btw if you have not read it. It is on my recommended reading list for all Martial Artist. Thanks to my good friend Irv Lachow for introducing me to it.

http://www.joshwaitzkin.com/

Old 10-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Mark Uttech

Onegaishimasu. And thank you, Kevin, for introducing me to it. I will look around for the book today.

In gassho,

Mark

Old 10-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
Shany

Dojo: ISTA
Israel

Go isn't easy! damn with that game

A good stance and posture reflects a proper state of mind
Old 10-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
Mark Uttech

Quote:
Shany Golan wrote: View Post
Go isn't easy! damn with that game
Onegaishimasu. I never learned how to play Go and merely dreamed of learning how. But here, in the West, Chess seems to be the rule. "The Go Masters" is a good film; do check it out.

In gassho,

mark

Old 10-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
Buck
United_States

Sometime ago I seen a movie called "Searching for Bobby Fisher" and while it was on TV it had trivia popping up and it said that Joshua Waitzkin which the movie is based on his life as a boy chess prodigy that latter on he became ( if you went to the link Kevin posted) a four time push-hands champion in China/Taiwan, beating the Chinese. I can't help to think that the way Joshua thinks and trained in chess had something to do with his Tai Chi push hands prowness. I wonder what he would be like as an Aikidoka?

I guess push hands is an exercise training game that is competitive (obviously) and not intended for fighting, but as a development tool. Push hands must be full of strategy plus the competition part for Waitkin to go from chess to push hands. Aikido not having a marked competition may have been overlooked by him when he was first interested in martial arts.

A real interesting movie.

Last edited by Buck : 10-11-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Push hands has the same amount of "competitiveness" as irimi nage or kokyu nage, for example when it is done properly with aliveness.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Control the center, control the game...
Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Both are fun!!!

William Hazen
Old 10-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
Andrew S

Dojo: Kenshinkai Dojos
Japan

A well-placed nikyo will improve your chances of winning at chess. Or just do iriminage on your opponent's queen.

Warning: Do not bend, fold or otherwise abuse... until we get to the dojo..

合気道研心会 Aikido Kenshinkai
Old 10-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
gyudien

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
Sometime ago I seen a movie called "Searching for Bobby Fisher" and while it was on TV it had trivia popping up and it said that Joshua Waitzkin which the movie is based on his life as a boy chess prodigy that latter on he became ( if you went to the link Kevin posted) a four time push-hands champion in China/Taiwan, beating the Chinese. I can't help to think that the way Joshua thinks and trained in chess had something to do with his Tai Chi push hands prowness. I wonder what he would be like as an Aikidoka?
You might want to take a look at Josh Waitzkin's book, "The Art of Learning." Waitzkin discusses his book in the following Youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj1gxz5puaQ
Old 10-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #16
Kim S.
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai (Summer)/ Aikido Club at Unversity of Florida (Academic year)
United_States

I just started playing chess again.

When I took chess lessons, my chess tutor trained me to focus on end game strategies and control of the board. How this relates to Aikido, I am still figuring that out.

Besides, to have good chess ukemi, one must die a lot in when first learning and playing chess.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #17
Mark Uttech

Quote:
Kimberly Schultz wrote: View Post
I just started playing chess again

to have good chess ukemi, one must die a lot in when first learning and playing chess.

Just my two cents.
Onegaishimasu. Wonderfully put! I am fond of the fact that everyone I have taught how to play chess has beat me. And that now whenever we play again, the winner is never known in advance. Very much like aikido? O Sensei taught the kihon waza first and then he taught the kaishi-waza before he sent his senior students out to be world -class instructors.

In gassho,

Mark

Old 10-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #18
Shane Marcum

Dojo: Aikido School of Lexington
United_States

Mark,

I've been playing Chess since I was about twelve. After playing for several years, I learned that the best defense is an aggressive offense. Controlling the center ofthe board is of the utmost importance and can be likened to controlling your center in Aikido. The "Chess Match" comes in with reversals. Have you ever attempted to execute kotegaeshi, Ikkyo, or sankyo on a 3rd Dan or above? They know it's coming before you know you're going there.....just ike in Chess. A good Chess player looks and thinks sveral moves ahead. The same applies in Aikido, Uke can very quickly change into Nage if he is prepared and looking ahead. Ukemi should also be practiced accordingly. When taking Ukemi, always be aware of how you could counter the technique being applied if necessary. In the long run it will make you a better aikidoka.