Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-26-2005, 05:43 AM   #1
Tim Gerrard

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai - Durham
United Kingdom
Ukemi in grading and training.

Ukemi is an integral part of Aikido. What I'm asking is this, what makes a good Uke, and how can these skills could be improved?

Should ukemi be part of a grading? as I feel recieving a technique is as important to understanding than doing the technique.

Also what do you feel is the best method to introduce a beginner to the art of ukemi.

Discuss

Aikido doesn't work? My Aikido works, what on earth are you practicing?!
Old 05-26-2005, 06:48 AM   #2
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Re: Ukemi in grading and training.

Nice post Tim, when im not so hungover ill add my two cents.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:53 AM   #3
Tim Gerrard

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai - Durham
United Kingdom

Sorry, my grammer's terrible on that post...

Aikido doesn't work? My Aikido works, what on earth are you practicing?!
Old 05-26-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
Jeremy Young
Dojo: Tatsumaki Dojo/Springdale, AR
United_States

I think that ukemi is very important. IMHO, you have to be on both sides of a technique to really understand it. I know for me what has helped me improve "being uke" is just to take as many throws as possible. Even though i still stiffen up sometimes, i have become alot more relaxed and i think that is because for sometime i just tried to take as many throws as possible. Just whenever someone in the dojo needed someone to throw i would volunteer. Also, maybe it would help working on a punching bag or something to practice giving good attacks. What is interesting to me about ukemi is that you have to give a good dedicated attack and at the same time not be so stiff that you break yourself. Ajjjj...and one more thing i was going to say...at least in my opinion, being a good uke is not jumping for your partner or let them "get away" with sloppy technique...granted, you do not have to criticize every mistake...but i know i always appreciate it when uke let's me know that i am not taking his balance or that the technique did not feel correct. As my instructor would tell me, getting attacked by 2 guys at the ATM at 11:30 pm is a bad time to realize you have been practicing kote gaeshi incorrectly.
Anyways, that is my thought on ukemi.
Thanks
Old 05-26-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Kevin Kelly
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
United_States

Quote:
Tim Gerrard wrote:
Should ukemi be part of a grading? as I feel recieving a technique is as important to understanding than doing the technique.

ukemi is part of our tests. at various levels for whatever grade you are testing for.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:34 PM   #6
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia

For me Ukemi is as important in Aikido as to be Nage. If you know how to do a correct Ukemi, with a propper atack and you know how to receive the technique, you can feel more the technique and later you will do it un a better way.

In our test Ukemi is an integral part of the exam also with the teory and the techniques of each grade. First the person who is taken exam do all the diferent ways to fall and later as uke the person is also examined.

César Martínez
Satori Dojo