Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #26
Mario Tobias
Philippines
Re: Three Things for Beginners

1.) not much talk, just do it
2.) not much talk, just do it
3.) not much talk, just do it

and hopefully they'll remain like I did.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #27
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

I think a good shomenuchi cut is important!
Developed through drills with a bokken. partner exercises, weapons open hand etc.. makes for really good aikido I think. It teaches essential skills for focus, extension, balance breaking posture and trains all the right muscle groups for so many techniques and is a foundational movement for many of them as well.

dan

Old 12-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #28
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

1. Kamae
2. Zanshin
3. Rei

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:04 AM   #29
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

my list,

1. go to the bathroom before you put on your gi
2. wear clean underwear so you have room for stuffs
3. don't eat a full meal before practice
4. clean up after yourself which apply to the previous 3

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 12-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #30
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
I do not think humility means that one should automatically put down one's own ability. That's more like an inferiority complex to me.

I think that many people give short shrift to one's abilities and doing so does no good. Inasmuch as accepting what one can't do is an important step in one's training, I also very much believe that accepting what one can do is, perhaps, even more important.

-- Jun
I have to fight the "I suck at kata" attitude I developed in Judo days (in the 70s, kata were that PITA you had to do to pass a grading, and got in the way of randori - at least that was the attitude at our dojo). As a result the bad attitude towards kata, I struggle to see the point of memorizing a set of 13, 31, or 70 moves with a jo, or a jo, or a bokken, respectively. So I don't do well at recalling them - even after a whole lot of practice... I can follow along most of the time but...

When it comes to people telling me "I CAN'T (do whatever)" my usual response is along the lines of "perhaps not yet, but you haven't learned it yet" or "yes you can, you just haven't learned how yet"

Maybe I should take my own advice.

Three things for beginners after a little primer on dojo etiquette - basic levels of:
Ukemi (also used as a form of conditioning)
Tai-Sabaki/Kamae
Ikkyo and taking balance toward 'the third point'

Cheers,
W
Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #31
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

1) Aikitaiso

2) Aiki motion.

3) Basic techniques using the above.

Regards.G.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #32
PhillyKiAikido

Dojo: Philadelphia Ki-Aikido / New Jersey Ki Society
United_States

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
1) Aikitaiso

2) Aiki motion.

3) Basic techniques using the above.

Regards.G.
Good, right, but not easy for beginners. From what I saw, some would get bored soon on #1 and #2, most would give up after several months practice when they found they didn't know how to do #3, only few would stay and would still have to do that after some years' practice. Consequently, it's hard for the dojo to survive.

Last edited by PhillyKiAikido : 12-14-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #33
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Ting Piao wrote: View Post
Good, right, but not easy for beginners. From what I saw, some would get bored soon on #1 and #2, most would give up after several months practice when they found they didn't know how to do #3, only few would stay and would still have to do that after some years' practice. Consequently, it's hard for the dojo to survive.
No time to get bored, it's only a two month class.

Why would people get bored? Why would they find they don't know how to do? Sounds like a class with no teacher.

Regards.G.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 AM   #34
LinTal
Dojo: Aikido Terrey Hills
Australia

Quote:
Mario Tobias wrote: View Post
1.) not much talk, just do it
2.) not much talk, just do it
3.) not much talk, just do it

and hopefully they'll remain like I did.
What kept me was seeing my teacher learning. So my list would go something like

1) everyone's learning, everyone's got something to learn.
2) rolling only hurts 'cause you don't know how to do it yet. Like everything else.
3) stop waiting for a third point and turn your brain off.

The world changes when you do.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:18 AM   #35
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Dear all,

I don't even remember what I was taught in the first two months, but it must have been good because I got hooked (and still am). There was kote gaeshi in it, I remember this. I tried it proudly on my boyfriend ("look, what I discovered!"), and it hurt so suddenly and so much that his only reflex was to box me hard in my face. So much for tenkan and getting out of the line of attack...

I think I would refrain from showing great, ostentatious breakfalls to beginners instead of hoping that they might see them and wish to develop that skill themselves. We had some months ago some potential beginners watching a lesson, which was full of irimi nage, tenchi nage, sumi otoshi and the corresponding acrobatics, and they got scared like hell and never came back. These were young men in their twenties. First time I saw a breakfall I thought I would break all my bones if ever forced to do so.

In our dojo, beginners pretty much do the same things as the others, just more slowly and more carefully, and maybe not always with locks and pins. Everyone practices ukemi at warming-up, so they also do, and for the rest of the course they get partnered with more advanced aikidoka. But in the dojo in Baku, where I sometimes practice, there is a special programme for beginners, focusing on mae ukemi, ushiro ukemi, different tai sabakis and shikko. Once they master that, they get their 6th kyu and participate to normal practice. I found that an nice and interesting approach. On one side, they reduce the probability that someone gets injured, since he already knows a bit how to fall, and on the other side they also increase the confidence of the beginners so that they are less afraid when having to take a fall. Needless to say, 6th kyus are still treated with caution and not thrown around like balls.

Best regards,

Eva
Old 01-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #36
Aviv
Dojo: Aikido in Fredericksburg
United_States

1. Stand-Up straight
2. Relax
3. Breathe

Peace, Aviv Goldsmith
Aikido in Fredericksburg
www.aikidoinfredericksburg.org
Old 01-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #37
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

Just 3 things...
1. Awareness
2. Resolve
3. Respect

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 01-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #38
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

I was intrigued by this post and have continued to mull over it, most of this draft has been sitting around for a while and with the shut down of aikiweb i had forgotten about it. But now reflecting on my most recent way of handling of beginners i thought I would submit anyway.

Beginners courses serve quite specific purposes and these determine its goals and makeup. One of the things they can address is relevance of the art to a beginner so that regular class material isn't to advanced, full of gaps (like turning up to regular classes might be with foundatuions) and getting bored because of the detail in our art presented too early.

the goals and hence 3 things of a beginners course to be taught are quite related. Some goals can be retention, graduation of beginners into regular class and sorting the keepers (wheat from the chaff) as early as possible, and to inform public so they can make an informed choice and three things arise from there

I think people can get bored early on and might mis the spark and wonder that aiki has to offer. With out some kind of beginners induction/course - retention is pretty bad
- the instructor and dojo end up servicing beginners as they come whenever they choose
- is harder to actually get people into the dojo.

As a rule i found that it was a process of halves without a begineers course that is
1/2 that people that make contact with the dojo show up
1/2 the people that show up get on the mat
1/2 the people on the mat never turn up to do a second class (even if they rave about it being the best thing they ever did)
1/2 the people that show up for second class do a grading 2 months later (thats when we do a 7th kyu in our school)

Having a beginners course enables
- people to make a social contract with other starters to stick with it (hopefully long enough to get really excited about the art and build a habit)
- people are more likely to come to something programmed, and thus turn up
- an upfront fee means people coming are more committed to finishing it
- the core of the dojo (regular students) can continue to progress without having to go back to somthing like 'unbendable arm' every time a newbies walks onto the mat
- core skills can be built quicker and mpre consistently

1 month Beginners class
My own experience with running beginners course are that they really work in improving retention to first grading and keeping the rest of the dojo humming along , however
- the first grading is then an exit statement for many (no problem esp. for a university club like i ran where a goal is to spread the art),
- can breed a service mentality - OK i finished my beginners course where is my dedicated instructor for my next belt and
- can also lead to a I paid my money spoon feed me please!
here my three things were
1/ teach fundamental syllabus to first grading
2/ teach rolling skills
3/ teach a sense of belonging (which worked to the graduation grading only , sadly...)

FWIW here is my beginners course I used to offer - it started as a 2 monther and then we did it as a one month
02 Aikido Beginners Course
Here are retention stats for the dojo over a 10 yr period - note 1 in 454 people reach shodan (~3-4 yrs by the book in our school), sample size is about a few thousand and class size ~40 twice a week with various satellite classes. It gets a bit preachy YMMV
Growing a Dojo

2 Class introduction
My current offering is to offer a 2 class introduction which teaches some fundamentals, has home work and states that 'i expect you to take responsability for your own development '. the retention after the first grading is similar, but I find that most leave after 2 classes rather than after 7th Kyu - which is attractive to me because it allows a better focus on the stayers and hence rest of dojo and my own development.

Here my three things are
1/ present historical context of aikido, and relationship as a sword related art (not quite true but its a simpler story)
2/ teach sword cuts and fundamental techniques from it (ikkyo irimi, nikkyo (as an aiki age, aiki sage cut))
3/ teach rolling skills (i use the systema method)
(1) enables student to understand why we train as we do and start in the dojo doing the minutae and understand a little of why we are doing this. (2) and (3) are set as homework as i encourage beginners that these are the core skills to work fully in the dojo.

My thanks to this discussion for helping clarify this stuff in my mind and will do some tweaking on what i offer advertise as a result

best to all

Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #39
Alberto_Italiano

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
If you could teach, let's say, three things (concepts, techniques, principles, whatever) during a two month beginner's class, what would you teach?

-- Jun
provided I don't teach, nor I could:

1) Violence: in a real fight you will meet it
2) Brutality: they will face you ruthlessly
3) Disonhourability: they won't give a damn

To the few who are still there I'd say: Manage those - with Aikido. If your Aikido can manage those, you can truly afford being peaceful.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #40
Andrew S

Dojo: Kenshinkai Dojos
Japan

Pretty much what has been said before:

* ukemi - you need this to survive any kind of practice, plus it is the one "technique" you WILL use in real life.

* basic movement (irimi, tenkan, kaiten) - this is the core of the most common techniques, and can easily be "spiced up" with the introduction of taisabaki to avoid being clubbed with a bokuto or spitted with a jo.
* seiza (and by extension, shikko and reiho) - Asai Sensei said that suwariwaza were good for keeping people humble. Great for developing hip movement and posture.

My ¥2 worth (and at the current exchange rate, that's not a bad deal!)

Warning: Do not bend, fold or otherwise abuse... until we get to the dojo..

合気道研心会 Aikido Kenshinkai
Old 01-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #41
RuteMendes
Dojo: Dramático de Cascais
Portugal

This is what they taught me:

1st- ushiro ukemi
2nd- tai sabaki
3rd- shihonage

It was absolutley AWESOME!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #42
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

1. Get the big picture
2. Get off the line
3. Learn to forget the third thing.

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 01-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #43
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

Ukemi, ukemi, and footwork/movement (tai sabaki). Techniques as they would relate to your level of "Ukemi expertise"!!! As time progresses and the ukemi improves, other techniques would be introduced----again in conjunction with the level of ukemi expertise.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #44
RealBeginner
Dojo: Aikido of Missoula
United_States

As a beginner, I have found this thread very interesting and enlightening. Thank you senpais!
As a beginner who as made it a bit past the first 2 months of training, may I suggest one more lesson to teach early: KEEP SHOWING UP.