Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Phil Ingram

Dojo: The Institute of Aikido Auckland
New Zealand
Aikido Lesson 1st on of 2010

Aikido Lesson 1st one of 2010

Early this week I called my new sensei getting all the information on starting my new art with my new dojo,now I have been to this dojo before but there was hardly anyone there I thought this might be a small club, anyway when I turned up the kids lesson was just coming to a end at this point another 10 to 15 people turned up.

To be honest the lesson went by in blur lots of new names and ideas to take in and I am guessing this is the same the world over; there was a lot of focus on centre and 1st form, the warm up was awesome I am happy to say my ukemi is solid my sensei told me at the end of the lesson it was good to see my ukemi’s and it was a good solid start into aikido, luckily for me I was not the only new boy, but the people where helpful and friendly I cant wait for my lesson tonight.

I know this is short and sweet I will try to remember more as the lessons go so I can report back on how I am doing

Oh yes lol the next day I was like a lump of lead very sore but happy

Last edited by Phil Ingram : 01-20-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.
Matsuo Basho
Old 01-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand
Re: Aikido Lesson 1st on of 2010

Glad to hear your first class went well.

You have good ukemi already? Have you practiced other martial arts such as judo or jujutsu?

I hope your enthusiasm never wanes and if you ever visit Hamilton, pop in and train with us

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #3
Janet Rosen

So good to hear it went well!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Glad to hear it went well. If you want to write about your classes often, you should start up a blog. I didn't think to start mine till I had been in it for a couple months. Have you done martial arts before?

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
Phil Ingram

New Zealand

Quote:
Dean Suter wrote: View Post
Glad to hear your first class went well.

You have good ukemi already? Have you practiced other martial arts such as judo or jujutsu
Hi ya Dean
In answer to your question yes i did daito ryu for a little while
and thank you very much for your offer if and when i make it to ur part of nz i will let you know

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.
Matsuo Basho
Old 01-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
Phil Ingram

New Zealand

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
So good to hear it went well!
Hi ya Janet
I am very please that things are going well with my new dojo a really good bunch of people.

A funny thing happened to me today i was sitting waiting for my bus to work and with out thinking i changed my posture my Sensei as been drilling us on posture keeping ur backs straight etc,for the first time i can see what my sensei is on about you can use aikido in your everyday life.

cant wait for my next lesson

How are your lessons going Janet ??

Matsuo Basho
Old 01-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
Phil Ingram

New Zealand

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
Glad to hear it went well. If you want to write about your classes often, you should start up a blog. I didn't think to start mine till I had been in it for a couple months. Have you done martial arts before?
Hi ya Ashley

In answer to your question
I did 5 years in england doing karate and in New Zealand i did daito ryu for a short time.

I will prolly do a blog like yourself a little later
After i get a bit more experience

Matsuo Basho
Old 01-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
Eugene Leslie

Canada

Capital!

Self-discipline is the chief element of self-esteem; and self-esteem the chief element of courage. Thucydides