Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Peter Chenier
Dojo: Summerland Aikikai
Canada
Question Gokyu Test T minus 13 days

Hello all

Well last week I found out that I am grading for gokyu on May 5, and I have a question that I would like to put out to the community.

It has to do with blending. Specifically, blending with an Uke who is being less than compliant. Is it considered acceptable for the nage modify the technique in order to unbalance the Uke during a test?

Cheers

peter
Old 04-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Re: Gokyu Test T minus 13 days

Probably a better idea to unbalance the uke as you've been shown, since that is just what you are being tested on.
Specific requirements for different groups.......showing specific points that the instructor wants to see happen.
FWIW
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Have you talked with your sensei or senior students about what is expected on the test? In my opinion the issues you seem to be concerned about are completely inappropriate for a gokyu test.

I know when we test people at that level we are looking for an understanding of what is being asked (ie you know the difference between tenkan/irimi and kotegeashi/nikyo etc), a decent knowledge of the appropriate forms, and a base understanding of the principles as followed by our organization.

Quote:
Peter Chenier wrote: View Post
Is it considered acceptable for the nage modify the technique in order to unbalance the Uke during a test?
Ok, to actually provide an answer to your question I would say for a gokyu level test, absolutely not because the uke on a gokyu test shouldn't be providing resistance IMO so you shouldn't have to worry about overcoming it.

For a higher level test, absolutely yes

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
Travis Johnson
Dojo: Nippon Kan Aikido, Denver, CO
United_States

In most tests i've seen (in atleast two different styles), it is stressed that uke does NOT resist you during the test. uke should know this before performing on the test with you. uke typically has a responsibility to help you look good as nage during your examination not to make it difficult for you. ask your sensei about this...i'm curious what he'll say.

best regards and good luck!

-Trav
Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai

In the CAF, the caption for the gokyu test is "To show the basic forms with accuracy." Given that this is what you're trying to display in your fifth kyu test, do you think altering technique because uke is giving you a hard time is appropriate? As someone has already noted, your uke should not be purposely difficult to throw for your gokyu test. I'm sure that whoever is examining you will notice if your uke is not taking good ukemi for you. They'll take this into account when they assess your ability.

Hope your test goes well!

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."
Old 04-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Beard of Chuck Norris
Dojo: Aberdeen Aikido Yuishinkai
United Kingdom

I imagine your uke will get a talking to if they prevent you from showing your forms.

Don't stress, it'll be fine and at this level: do it by the book

peace and love

Jo
Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Quote:
Travis Johnson wrote: View Post
In most tests i've seen (in atleast two different styles), it is stressed that uke does NOT resist you during the test. uke should know this before performing on the test with you. uke typically has a responsibility to help you look good as nage during your examination not to make it difficult for you. ask your sensei about this...i'm curious what he'll say.

best regards and good luck!

-Trav
Well, for 6th kyu or 5th kyu there is generally little consideration for your ability to display your expertise in technique and show your control. The expectation is that you have little expertise or control. So the main thing people want to see is that you have the general flow of what is supposed to happen and demonstrate vitality.

I grade kyu tests now and again. I expect students to attack with full power - but I want level appropriate attackers. If a yondan attacks a 5th kyu, the only control we are watching is the yondan's. But for say 2nd and 3rd kyu tests, I expect 2nd and 3rd kyu ukes attacking with everything they got (into the completely symbolic attack - like shomenuchi)

I agree with Lan Powers in terms of advice to the OP (or any 5th kyu tester). Work the entrance and get the unbalancing based on how you have been shown to do it. If you have to resort to hitting the uke or yanking them then either you have missed your entrance, your uke is not attacking in such a way that lends itself to the specified technique, or if that isn't the case and it's still not working then work with your sempai before and after every class because you most likely missed what was shown.

If you stay with aikido you'll doubtfully be doing any of those techniques the same way as you progress. So I recommend displaying understanding of the terms, safety for yourself and your partner, and vitality.

Rob

Rob
Old 05-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
Steve Peters
Dojo: Aikido of Madison

Quote:
Well last week I found out that I am grading for gokyu on May 5...
Good luck! I just finished my Gokyu test a couple of hours ago. Other than a minor brain cramp on the first technique, everything went OK.

During the test, my ukes where all pretty generous with their ukemi. Is you concern about resistance due to what you are seeing in class? I noticed a few months back that the level of resistance in class that I regularly saw was increasing. People who attacked nicely and went down easily stopped doing so. I realized quickly I needed to refine my techniques to advance. That really worked to help me before the test. Hopefully what you are seeing in class is what you are concerned about. I'm also hoping that the extra resistance will help you with your techniques too.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
Peter Chenier
Canada

Thanks for all the best wishes and advice.
I took the test last night and I passed .

Other than Sensei pointing out that Ikkyo did not involve putting uke head first into a brick wall everything went very well.

Note no uke was actually injured during this demonstration
(he did not actually hit the wall but sensei did use the moment to explain the importance of surroundings ).

I did get some video of the test and will post a few clips on You Tube if any of you are interested in watching me fumble around.

Again thank you for all of your help and hope to meet you all on the mats some day.

Regards

Peter
Old 05-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Congrats! Now back to Keiko!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-12-2008, 01:27 AM   #11
judojo

Dojo: Ju Dojo
Location: 349 MALVAR STREET, DIPOLOG CITY, 7100, ZDN, PHILIPPINES
Philippines

Dearest Sensei, The Aikido Bunkai Are Nice And Fluid In The Specific Gokyu Test T. My Questions: During This Bunkai . How Many Are The Uke-jin, And What Are The Specific Nage Wazas?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
Peter Chenier
Canada

Hi everyone!!

Here is a short video of the start of my test. Please, feel free to critique, laugh, mock, and or provide constructive criticism.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RFDsmdUdYC0

Thanks again to everyone!!
Old 05-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
Dan O'Day

United_States

Great video, Peter. You show wonderful posture and awareness.

That atemi after shihonage is pretty wild. I've never seen that before. If I ever get up to your side of the Okanagon I'll be sure to be ready for that!

Happy training and best wishes from your southern neighbor
Old 05-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
reisler
Dojo: Aikido Bozankan
Canada

Hi Peter,
Congrats on the test! Is that Pat Sensei?? I just met her at a seminar here in Calgary, very nice lady.
I'm taking my first test on May 29th.

Roberta
Aikido - a kinder, gentler can o' Whoop Ass.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:19 AM   #15
Peter Chenier
Canada

Hi Roberta!!

It sure is Sensei Pat!! She was telling us about her trip to Calgary the other night.
All I can say is WOW!..

When you guys have an event you really pull out all the stops!!! Shihans..a prominent Japanese visitor and a sandan test to boot. Next time Sensei Pat asks if anyone is interested in a road trip to Alberta I'm in .

Good luck on your test!!!

Hope to meet you on the mats sometime!

Peter
Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #16
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Looks like you guys have some yoshinkan influence on your basic waza. Do you have any idea where that might have come from?

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 05-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
Basia Halliop
Canada

Ron, now you've made me curious. What specifically are you seeing that reminds you of yoshinkan? I watched it again and have not noticed anything that looks to me 'unusual' (I have only ever trained in Aikikai dojos).

Congratulations to Peter, BTW!.

Last edited by Basia Halliop : 05-20-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #18
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Some of the precision in the turns for shihonage, the fact that both shite and uke maintain pretty good zanshin until they return to their original places after a waza, one of the shite maintains a more formal kamae, the strike at the end of the shihonage pin. I've seen parts of all of these things in aikikai dojo, but not usually all of them in one setting.

Not saying anything bad...just currious is all.

Best,
Ron (call me currious George...)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 05-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #19
Peter Chenier
Canada

This mystery is easy to explain.

Greg (my uke) and I are affectionately referred to as "The karate guys"
Soooooooo we kind of have a few habits that we brought along with us from an atemi heavy background.
Needless to say sometimes these habits help and sometimes they get in the way. It's kind of a mixed blessing.

Cheers

Peter (aka ex-karate guy)
Old 05-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #20
Ron Tisdale
United_States

No worries! You'd fit right in in a YoshinOrc(TM) dojo!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 05-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #21
reisler
Dojo: Aikido Bozankan
Canada

Quote:
When you guys have an event you really pull out all the stops!!! Shihans..a prominent Japanese visitor and a sandan test to boot. Next time Sensei Pat asks if anyone is interested in a road trip to Alberta I'm in .
Peter
Hi Peter,
It was an amazing weekend, with lots of great people. (and cake!!)
I was honoured to be part of it.

Roberta
Aikido - a kinder, gentler can o' Whoop Ass.