Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
John McBride
Dojo: NA
United_States
Yet Another Dogi Question

Hello all,

I am reading here, catching up as it were. I am returning to the Mat after many, many years.

I used to have a few wonderfully thick and heavy Dogi/pants sets back in my younger days. These were purchased through my old Dojo, and I think they were the "Old" Bujin company IIRC.

As I mentioned, I have been reading here and doing my due diligence regarding dogi purchases. However, I find that a LOT of the threads are old, and that a lot of the links do not work.

My question is this,

Since I am obviously going to need new Dogi for my reemerging journey, could some of you help me with locating a high quality, all cotton, hard wearing Dogi? I am going to be buying at least two, One for colder months, and one for summer, and I would like to get some input on what is considered to be of high quality, comfortable, and hard wearing these days.

I may also be buying additional pants as well. i like to spread the wear and tear over several pairs.

I like the old Bujin Dogis, but I am reading less than stellar reviews of some of their products post Boulder Colorado days. Is there another brand/manufacturer who can approximate these?

I like the thicker material, and I like the reinforced/harder wearing pants.
I am as of this writing, standing 6foot 3in tall and weighing in at a .... ahem ...."Svelte" 245 lbs.
I am assuming that for an all cotton Gi, I will need to be buying a size 6 or maybe a 7? Any input here?

Also,I am in the USA, if that helps any.

Any Colorado Aikidoka with insight into local sources that are good, please do chime in.....gives me a chance to meet some of you all!!!!

Any help is very much appreciated.

Domo,

John
Old 08-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
Re: Yet Another Dogi Question

Why don't you see what your local dojo recommends. Should be plenty of 'samples' worn around the mat. If not, quite a few places you can order from.

I use Kiyota Co. in Baltimore MD. Big selection, and the owner can help you select what might be best for you.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #3
John McBride
United_States

Thanks Larry!

Exactly the type of info I was hoping for.

Domo,
John
Old 08-11-2016, 05:43 AM   #4
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom

Ive got about 7 'new' Bujin jackets that I currently use and about 4 or 5 older original Bujin ones. The new ones are better made. They've held up just fine for the past several years of use.

John.

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
Old 08-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #5
John McBride
United_States

Quote:
John Burn wrote: View Post
Ive got about 7 'new' Bujin jackets that I currently use and about 4 or 5 older original Bujin ones. The new ones are better made. They've held up just fine for the past several years of use.

John.
Ok John, that is actually a welcome bit of news. I had always lived my old gi's, so maybe I gi with new bujin. I had been looking at some of the other offerings online and was more than a little flummoxed. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #6
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

I purchase my dogi from Kiyota as well and have been very, very happy with the service and prices. I personally choose the heavyweight Biesu dogi. They are expensive to purchase (about $ 225-$250), but cheap to own. Most of mine have lasted close to ten years before retirement.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 09-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #7
Michael Hackett

I called Kiyota Budo Company yesterday to order two new dogi. The two phone numbers I had for them BOTH led me to a company that provides nutrition training or something, but isn't in the martial arts supply business. I checked the website and there was no mention of closing and those same two telephone numbers were still listed. I now have two questions as a result....does anyone know the status of Kiyota Budo Company? Does anyone know where I can buy Biesu dogi? By the way, the label for Biesu dogi looks like "BESU", with the "I" being almost invisible. Thanks in advance.

Michael
Old 09-13-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Myself and a couple of my students have ordered these.
http://www.tozandoshop.com/FREE-SHIP...s-p/set560.htm

Appear to be the official uniform if the Aikikai as the Aikikai crest is attached to the coat and pants. They also embroider and those far they have held up quite well.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #9
Michael Hackett

Thanks, Steven Sensei. Tozando items are always first class, but I'm gonna hold out for Biesu if I can. If I can't find a reputable source, I doubtlessly will turn to Tozando. I've bought two hakama from them and a number of other items. Top drawer company in every respect.

Michael
Old 09-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #10
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Kiyota Company, Inc.

kiyotacompany.com

2326 N Charles St, Baltimore, MD 21218 · ~565.4 mi

(410) 366-8275
Old 09-14-2016, 07:50 PM   #11
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan

For Summer I recommend the Yomogi (though now Tozando has the Hourai) gi, which uses a special thread the center of which is polyester, but the outside of which is cotton. They dry much faster than my regular cotton gis. They look almost new after a year of daily training in them so I think they will hold up well.

Naturally having something useful to say is like natural responses during training: It takes much practice.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #12
Michael Hackett

Larry,

Thank you - it worked! When I called that same number last week (and the 800 number too) I got that nutrition company. I tried again this morning and reached Kiyota Company. Obviously I did something wrong, but darned if I can figure out what. Doesn't matter though, because I soon will have two new Biesu dogi. Thanks again!

Michael
Old 09-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #13
Michael Hackett

When I contacted Kiyota Budo Company I asked for two new Biesu dogi. The gentleman I spoke with explained that Biesu gi really don't exist as a separate item - he said that they are made by Yamata Sakura and just have a different label sewn in. Based on that I ordered the two and when they arrived they appeared to be exactly the same as the Biesu gi that I have owned for years. They did feel lighter in weight and thinner. I went ahead and washed them and wore one Friday night in class. My bottom line as they don't feel anything like the Biesu gi.

Maybe I'm all wet, but in any event I still want to purchase a couple of Biesu dogi. Can anyone refer me to a source? Thanks in advance.

Michael
Old 09-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #14
Michael Hackett

For what it's worth, the Biesu label really looks like "BESU" with the letter "I" almost invisible. If anyone here can refer me to a source, I will be grateful. Thanks in advance.

Michael